The Student Room Group

Should I take Sociology as a private subject?

I'm doing O-Levels. I have nine subjects already, including Global Perspectives and Additional Math, but I'm really interested in Sociology. Is it a time-consuming subject? If I do take it, is it going to hurt my other subjects?
I did sociology GCSE and am currently doing sociology A-level, there is definitely a lot of content to cover but in terms of difficulty it is definitely possible if its a subject your genuinely interested in.
Original post by thirteenreasons
I did sociology GCSE and am currently doing sociology A-level, there is definitely a lot of content to cover but in terms of difficulty it is definitely possible if its a subject your genuinely interested in.

Thank you! I'm definitely genuinely interested, and I know that I'm going to do Sociology A Level. It's only that if I take it, I'll have to study on my own as my school doesn't offer Sociology courses for O Level. But I'm going to try. You mention there's a lot of content, are there any specific books that could help? I'm currently studying through Ken Brown's Introduction to Sociology.
Original post by reminiscence-
Thank you! I'm definitely genuinely interested, and I know that I'm going to do Sociology A Level. It's only that if I take it, I'll have to study on my own as my school doesn't offer Sociology courses for O Level. But I'm going to try. You mention there's a lot of content, are there any specific books that could help? I'm currently studying through Ken Brown's Introduction to Sociology.

My school uses the Ken Brown books to, I find they can be a bit overwhelming though. The books I find really helpful are these; https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sociology-Education-Research-Methods-Materials/dp/0008221634/ref=sr_1_2_mimg_1_book_display_on_website?ie=UTF8&qid=1509366466&sr=8-2&keywords=as+level+sociology
Theres one for each topic, so you can look at the specification and pick which ones you want to do, id also recommend watching Ibz Mo on youtube, he's made some good videos on sociology a-level.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erc29hFQc1k&list=PLfAgUDb4vmYd9dVvoLVp41UDPdZ4vAnTp&index=3

Quick Reply

Latest