The Student Room Group

When life gives you lemons?

Would u make Lemondine or just cry over sour lemons. What I'm trying to say is do think in life it's better to be pessimistic or optimistic or at times is it better to use both?
Original post by RED
Would u make Lemondine or just cry over sour lemons. What I'm trying to say is do think in life it's better to be pessimistic or optimistic or at times is it better to use both?

I used to be a major pessimist but i would lean towards both depends on the situation
[QUOTE=
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by BananaBusiness
I think that pessimism is actually sometimes better. Sure you should "see the silver lining" so that you are "happy" with things but there are exceptions. I'll use my Mock AS grades and how being pessimistic helped by actual AS grades.

Without trying to sound cocky. So many people I knew would get terrible grades and be like "meh at least I didn't fail" " life goes on" "you live and you learn" all these lines and they'll continue to get those same bad grades even in the real exam . All that's changed is there perception of how bad these grades are.

I on the other hand would get very decent grades in my mocks but wouldn't be satisfied. I'd be annoyed with myself and use that as fuel to revise/work/train harder depending on what it is I'm doing. In my actual AS I ended up doing quite decent, especially compared to other students in my year.

I see what you mean - to summarise I guess you mean that your friends accepted their failure due to "optimistic" view on life , when they could've done better by taking the failure as a bad thing. By being pessimistic e.g "I won't have a future without good grades" ultimately made them improve on themselves
Original post by claireestelle
I used to be a major pessimist but i would lean towards both depends on the situation

It's good to have a balance
I would say i'm an optimist with hints of realist in me.
Original post by RED
It's good to have a balance

yes it is, it took me years to realise it
make Limoncello & your cares will disappear :teehee:
Original post by the bear
make Limoncello & your cares will disappear :teehee:

Bacardi and lemonade- drown those sorrows jk 😂
Original post by esrever
I would sell the lemons

Then u have money - got to have money to make money 😂👌🏻
I dont really like lemons so I'd go round to Lifes house and take their cookies. Maybe some milk as well, while I'm there...
Original post by mojojojo101
I dont really like lemons so I'd go round to Lifes house and take their cookies. Maybe some milk as well, while I'm there...

Umm.. "excuse me philo professor , yeah umm i prefer oranges not lemons " 😂
Original post by &quot
I see what you mean - to summarise I guess you mean that your friends accepted their failure due to "optimistic" view on life , when they could've done better by taking the failure as a bad thing. By being pessimistic e.g "I won't have a future without good grades" ultimately made them improve on themselves

Precisely. Being dissatisfied is needed to achieve greatness.
Original post by BananaBusiness
Precisely. Being dissatisfied is needed to achieve greatness.

Not always but in this case it provides motivation to avoid impending doom 😂
I think it's good to get angry and sad that life gives you *****y stuff, but eventually you have to make lemonade. Give yourself time to grieve and time to get angry, then step back and do something about it.
I think it's good to have a balance of both, personally. Being relentlessly pessimistic can mean you don't go for opportunities as much, or become a self-fulfilling prophecy, but it's also important not to go over-optimistic, because sometimes things don't turn out how you expect, and you do better by having contingencies in place.
Reply 16
I'd also say both.

Depends on those particular 'lemons'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending