The Student Room Group

Are men smarter than women?

Most inventions are attributed to men.
Most scientific discoveries are attributed to men.

After years of equality, men still dominate the STEM sector while women are more likely to enter arts, geography, drama etc.

So, are men smarter than women?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
here we go again
(edited 6 years ago)
Oh don't start
Original post by Femineest

After years of equality, men still dominate the STEM sector while women are more likely to enter arts, geography, drama etc.

(edited 6 years ago)
honestly, i don't give a crap about these stats and numbers. i don't see how it's relevant.
I personally believe Ants are smarter than both men and women, but thats just me i think, dunno if anyone agrees tbh
Reply 6
Brace yourselves....

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/04/study-finds-some-significant-differences-brains-men-and-women

No. Men have a higher variability to their minds. Because of this, men are more likely to be at either end of the extreme than women are.

So while there might appear to be more intelligent men, there also might appear to be more very stupid men. It depends on how you analyse it.
:erm:
Intelligence doesn't depend on your biological sex. It's entirely based on the individual, their upbringing, the access to education that they've had. People define intelligence in different ways. You are right that more men are in the STEM sector but that's a problem regarding social construct not a lack of intelligence on one part.
(edited 6 years ago)
Yeah men are generally smarter.

This is because the neurons in a male brain are more densely packed so therefore neurons can connect to each other faster and transmit signals more efficiently.

Sorry for going anon can't risk it.
RIP this thread
Reply 13
Does it really matter
Triggered feminists INBOUND!
Most scientific discoveries are attributed to men because women didn't have the opportunity to go into education in the past. They weren't inventing things because they weren't allowed to go to school, they weren't smart because they weren't allowed to be.

I think 'years of inequality' underestimated how long it takes for society and its norms to change. Legal inequality doesn't automatically mean everybody is equal, it takes time. I think a lot of women are still just at the start of their careers, in years to come more women will have secure and influential places in STEM, just need to give them time to get there.

I think men and women have the same potential and drive to be educated and to learn about the world. Curiosity and 'smartness' is inherently human, not inherently male or female. Trying to measure it and turn it into a competition is counter-productive.
Women are generally smarter - less varied.

The smartest of men are smarter than the smartest of women.
Reply 17
Original post by 27FT
Intelligence doesn't depend on your biological sex. It's entirely basedon the individual, their upbringing, the access to education that they've had. People define intelligence in different ways. You are right that more men are in the STEM sector but that's a problem regarding social construct not a lack of intelligence on one part.

What absolute nonsense, were you educated at Trump university by any chance? Of course biological sex is a factor in someones intelligence.

I am a woman in the STEM sector and we are ages away from true equality. You have no idea about the kind of bias and sexism that we have to deal with on a daily basis which keeps pushing more and more women away from STEM. At uni i knew many girls who were pressured to drop out of computer science because of this bias. I've personally been accused of cheating on projects because "my code was too good to be written by a girl"... and I've gotten lower grades than my male partners on projects that we've worked on 50/50 because the tutors assumed that the guy did everything... I've been asked by tutors things like "oh your group is just girls? who's gonna help you with that code?" and don't get me started on job interviews and job offers. So no. There still is no equality in the STEM sector and it is still heavily male dominated because men are pushing most of the women away not because women just tend to like arts and drama.
women are smarter. As another person pointed out, there's more variability in our minds.

But in overall numbers, women have higher entry into higher education and in general have usually done better in GCSEs too.

Dont think it really inherently matters for anything

Quick Reply

Latest