The Student Room Group

a little unsure

guys sorry it's me again i was factorising
3x2 + 10x + 7 = 0

in this case, would it be appropriate to use the quadratic formula, or would it not work because 3x2 isn't exactly the same as ax
Original post by entertainmyfaith
3x2 + 10x + 7 = 0

in this case, would it be appropriate to use the quadratic formula, or would it not work because 3x2 isn't exactly the same as ax

How can a quadratic formula "not work"?

Completing the square, factorising, and using the quadratic formula (which is a general result from completing the square) are all valid methods of solving a quadratic, so they all work.

You can use the quadratic formula if you want, but you can also easily factorise this quadratic too.
Reply 2
no you can use it you would just make a= three
Original post by RDKGames
How can a quadratic formula "not work"?

Completing the square, factorising, and using the quadratic formula (which is a general result from completing the square) are all valid methods of solving a quadratic, so they all work.

You can use the quadratic formula if you want, but you can also easily factorise this quadratic too.

i didn't mean the formula not working, more if it was appropriate for the method because i was just unsure if 3x2 + 10x +7 = 0 was equivalent to ax + bx + c = 0- does the squared notation affect it?
i didn't mean the formula not working, more if it was appropriate for the method because i was just unsure if 3x2 + 10x +7 = 0 was equivalent to ax + bx + c = 0- does the squared notation affect it?

Your "ax+bx+c=0" is not a quadratic expression, so no they are no equivalent.

If you meant ax2+bx+c=0ax^2+bx+c=0 then yes of course they are equivalent since we just have a=3,b=10,c=7a=3, b=10, c=7
Your gonna use the quadratic formula to FACTORISE.......
Original post by Ex-pert
Your gonna use the quadratic formula to FACTORISE.......

Don't see how that's a crime. The formula would give her solutions x1,x2x_1,x_2 to the equation so all that is needed to be done is plug them in the form (xx1)(xx2)=0(x-x_1)(x-x_2)=0 which would give the factorised form.
(edited 6 years ago)
3x2 + 10x + 7 = 0

the answer is;

[solution removed]
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by RDKGames
Don't see how that's a crime. The formula would give her solutions x1,x2x_1,x_2 to the equation so all that is needed to be done is plug them in the form (xx1)(xx2)=0(x-x_1)(x-x_2)=0 which would give the factorised form.

But there is another easier way
I dont see the reason why he is making it look so complicated
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Ex-pert
But there is another easier way
I dont see the reason why he is making it look so complicated

I agree, but if that's the way she wants to try first then she can go ahead and settle on it for the time being.
i tried factorising it but i couldn't do it so i just used the quadratic formula. it got me the right answer
i tried factorising it but i couldn't do it so i just used the quadratic formula. it got me the right answer

ok

Thats what i want to see

To factorise something of the form ax2+bx+c=0ax^2+bx+c=0 you want to look for two numbers λ,μ\lambda, \mu with the following properties: λ+μ=b\lambda + \mu = b and λμ=ac\lambda \mu =ac

Then you take the form (x+λa)(x+μa)=0\displaystyle \left( x+\frac{\lambda}{a} \right) \left( x+\frac{ \mu}{a} \right)=0 and plug those in there for factorisation.

In your example, you have a=3,b=10,c=7a=3, b=10, c=7 with λ+μ=10\lambda + \mu = 10 and λμ=21\lambda \mu = 21. Shouldn't take too long to notice that λ=3\lambda = 3 and μ=7\mu = 7 are valid conditions which make those properties true.

So then you have (x+33)(x+73)=0(x+\frac{3}{3})(x+\frac{7}{3})=0 which can be simplified further.

Quick Reply

Latest