The Student Room Group

Cambridge Masterclasses

Anybody going to the genetics and biochemistry masterclass on Saturday 4th November?

Scroll to see replies

Hey! I am going to it, although I don't know anyone going so am terrified :frown:
Original post by denaturedenzyme
Hey! I am going to it, although I don't know anyone going so am terrified :frown:

Same here, I'm coming from quite a way away so I'm a bit nervous but really excited too! The Origin of the Force lecture sounds interesting, any ideas on what it will be on? Love your username btw
Original post by JasmineSta
Same here, I'm coming from quite a way away so I'm a bit nervous but really excited too! The Origin of the Force lecture sounds interesting, any ideas on what it will be on? Love your username btw

Thankyou!! And what lecture are you talking about? I didn't receive any joining instructions yet!
But I'm guessing it's going to be genetics based? I don't know but I'm so excited!
I went to the English one today and it was amazing, I didn't know anyone but I did have conversations with 1 or 2 people and the lectures were really good, so I'm looking forward to the one next Saturday because it's based on my favourite subject!
Thankyou!! And what lecture are you talking about? I didn't receive any joining instructions yet!
But I'm guessing it's going to be genetics based? I don't know but I'm so excited!
I went to the English one today and it was amazing, I didn't know anyone but I did have conversations with 1 or 2 people and the lectures were really good, so I'm looking forward to the one next Saturday because it's based on my favourite subject!

Did you get an email about it? It was on that, if not it didn't say a lot except that registration is 10:30 to 11, lectures start at 11, finishes at 3, bring a packed lunch. What were the English ones on? I was so excited when I saw they were doing a biochemistry lecture, I bet it will be fantastic!
Did you get an email about it? It was on that, if not it didn't say a lot except that registration is 10:30 to 11, lectures start at 11, finishes at 3, bring a packed lunch. What were the English ones on? I was so excited when I saw they were doing a biochemistry lecture, I bet it will be fantastic!

Ah thankyou! The english one, we looked at comparison between Macbeth&Romeo and julliet first and then we covered Chaucer europe& Chaucer London (I legit thought I was going to hate this because stupid me thought that Chaucer was a country but I ended up loving it so much and ended up buying a whole Chaucer collection) and then they did some admissions help! It was subject specific to English but it still was really helpful even if you're planning to apply to other subjects!
One thing I would say though is that it was extremely intense, we got multiple breaks however the lecturers went really fast and sometimes I was just sitting there not understanding what the **** just happened, but still I really did retain&learn a lot!
How are you getting there? I'm getting the coach in the morning!
Anybody going to the genetics and biochemistry masterclass on Saturday 4th November?

I went to International Politics was quite good.
Ah thankyou! The english one, we looked at comparison between Macbeth&Romeo and julliet first and then we covered Chaucer europe& Chaucer London (I legit thought I was going to hate this because stupid me thought that Chaucer was a country but I ended up loving it so much and ended up buying a whole Chaucer collection) and then they did some admissions help! It was subject specific to English but it still was really helpful even if you're planning to apply to other subjects!
One thing I would say though is that it was extremely intense, we got multiple breaks however the lecturers went really fast and sometimes I was just sitting there not understanding what the **** just happened, but still I really did retain&learn a lot!
How are you getting there? I'm getting the coach in the morning!

Sounds pretty intense, I think I’ll probably need those breaks just to catch up with making notes! It must have been pretty good to buy the whole collection, it’s great that you found something to go away and look into further. At least we’re not being tested on it! I’m getting the train but it leaves at 6am so I may have to get through the lectures on just coffee and sugar.
Original post by JMR2017

What topics were the lectures on?
What topics were the lectures on?

They were on human rights/environment and politics, stuff like that.
Original post by JMR2017

That's a semantically null sentence lol
Original post by RedGiant
That's a semantically null sentence lol

True, but I try and post as quickly as I can, don't have time to think of all the interesting synonyms for good.
Sounds pretty intense, I think I’ll probably need those breaks just to catch up with making notes! It must have been pretty good to buy the whole collection, it’s great that you found something to go away and look into further. At least we’re not being tested on it! I’m getting the train but it leaves at 6am so I may have to get through the lectures on just coffee and sugar.

Ooh that sounds not fun at all, I'm sure you can find like a pret or costa around the train station somewhere!
I just got the email regarding the details and it looks so good, although I'm worried about the Genetics lecture because so far I only have GCSE knowledge it and I'm scared I'm not going to understand, but I'm also excited!
Reply 13
I'm going too! I'm both excited and scared mainly because Im worried I wont understand anything
Original post by trn_
I'm going too! I'm both excited and scared mainly because Im worried I wont understand anything

You're not alone! The lectures sound really mysterious, hopefully they will be something new but reasonably accessible.
Reply 15
Can you still purchase a class or is it too late
I'm going to the Engineering one which will also be on the 4th.

Original post by B-122

Probably, but some may be fully booked.
Original post by B-122

You should probably look on the website - https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/events/masterclasses. Best to do it soon though for a better chance of getting a place.
Reply 18

I went to the Biochemistry and Genetics masterclass last year, and also had the 'Origin of the Force' lecture. It's on mitochondria's role in ATP synthesise, diseases, ageing and cell death. It's very interesting :smile:

I will be going to the Evolution masterclass even though the event is meant to be for year 12s. Apparently, they are allowing me to attend because I will be taking a gap year, hence will be applying to university in the same admissions cycle as you.
Reply 19
Original post by B-122

Look at https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/events/masterclasses

There's plenty still available.

And the possibility others will become available later. You can sign up for an email alert.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending