The Student Room Group

Human, Social, and Political Sciences - is it worth it?

Taking History, Geography & Physics as they are the subjects I am most interested in. I've been looking at different courses and may do a Geography degree and then GDL and then maybe an LLM - I hope to work for the likes of the UN or EU in the long run.

Geography would be useful as the human side covers social, political and economic areas which I am interested in rather than just focusing on one. The physical side shouldn't be too bad as I also do enjoy some science and it could be useful in determining the environmental factors of nations. I would aim for the likes of Cambridge, UCL, Durham etc.

However, I've looked into Human, Social and Political Sciences at Cambridge and it looks perfect for my career path. The problem is that the university matters a lot for this. I'm not sure what other universities have this high prestige for the subject or something related.

The problem is, it's a lot more competitive than Geography, and it'd have to be a take it or leave it for Cambridge. Using the 2016 data for Cambridge (may have read the numbers wrong), there were 322 applicants for Geography and 1,070 for HSP Sciences. I feel that I'd have a much stronger chance applying for Geography, and the fact that I'm only doing 2 related subjects means I may struggle to get in.

Should I change Physics to Politics? I mean I've already spent a lot of money on books and revision resources for Physics. I haven't done any tests but I've been getting A's & B's in homeworks. Or should I not bother with HSP Sciences at all?

Also, could History & Politics be worth looking into?
Original post by Fonzworth
Taking History, Geography & Physics as they are the subjects I am most interested in. I've been looking at different courses and may do a Geography degree and then GDL and then maybe an LLM - I hope to work for the likes of the UN or EU in the long run.

Geography would be useful as the human side covers social, political and economic areas which I am interested in rather than just focusing on one. The physical side shouldn't be too bad as I also do enjoy some science and it could be useful in determining the environmental factors of nations. I would aim for the likes of Cambridge, UCL, Durham etc.

However, I've looked into Human, Social and Political Sciences at Cambridge and it looks perfect for my career path. The problem is that the university matters a lot for this. I'm not sure what other universities have this high prestige for the subject or something related.

The problem is, it's a lot more competitive than Geography, and it'd have to be a take it or leave it for Cambridge. Using the 2016 data for Cambridge (may have read the numbers wrong), there were 322 applicants for Geography and 1,070 for HSP Sciences. I feel that I'd have a much stronger chance applying for Geography, and the fact that I'm only doing 2 related subjects means I may struggle to get in.

Should I change Physics to Politics? I mean I've already spent a lot of money on books and revision resources for Physics. I haven't done any tests but I've been getting A's & B's in homeworks. Or should I not bother with HSP Sciences at all?

I know a few people like you with very similar ‘life plan’ firmly in their mind before they got in Cambridge. (Coincidentally one was on HSPS and another was on Geography, and with others on different courses)
While they were at university, they changed their mind because of various reasons, (happily) ended up in totally different things than they had been thinking of doing.

Just choose a course which you think you’ll enjoy most. That’s the most important thing, especially a place like Cambridge, as their courses are very intense and demanding, your genuine passion for the subject is sometimes the only thing that can get you going.
If you managed to do very well on your subject, you will see your career path more clearly and realistically in due course while you’re at university.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Hiya,
I'm currently doing HSPS at Cambridge. I would say, don't worry too much about the statistics (HSPS was less competitive in 2017, and I believe it was because of the introduction of Anthopology & Archaeology + History and Politics as separate courses).

Durham does combined honours in social sciences. Exeter does flexible combined honours and various subject combinations. A lot of universities do joint honour degrees or similarly interesting degrees, and if you're not applying this year you have plenty of time to decide :smile:

Also, I'm sure HSPS and geography have some overlap, and I'm sure both would be interesting + useful for the career you want.

Your subject choices are fine btw. I know someone who did all sciences + history who is doing HSPS.
Reply 3
Original post by loletta
Hiya,
I'm currently doing HSPS at Cambridge. I would say, don't worry too much about the statistics (HSPS was less competitive in 2017, and I believe it was because of the introduction of Anthopology & Archaeology + History and Politics as separate courses).

Durham does combined honours in social sciences. Exeter does flexible combined honours and various subject combinations. A lot of universities do joint honour degrees or similarly interesting degrees, and if you're not applying this year you have plenty of time to decide :smile:

Also, I'm sure HSPS and geography have some overlap, and I'm sure both would be interesting + useful for the career you want.

Your subject choices are fine btw. I know someone who did all sciences + history who is doing HSPS.

Thanks for the advice. What subjects and grades did you do and get?
Reply 4
Thanks for the advice. What subjects and grades did you do and get?

Eng Lit - A*
German - A*
Philosophy - A*
Politics - A*
EPQ (sociology) - A*

there's no disadvantage from not doing politics, especially as A level history (in my experience) has a lot of political history. many schools dont even offer gov and pol.
one of the best pieces of advice i've received about choosing a levels or degrees is to simply pick what you enjoy and go from there - don't get too hung up on what follows.
finally, what cambridge values more than anything is passion for a subject - no passion and chances are you will not get in.
Reply 6
Original post by loletta
Eng Lit - A*
German - A*
Philosophy - A*
Politics - A*
EPQ (sociology) - A*

Yeesh, I have no chance if I’m competing with people like you :P
Reply 7

Don't worry, everyone gets different grades, as long as you meet your offer, it will be fine :smile:
(Also I think I failed my entrance exam miserably :tongue: )
Reply 8
Original post by loletta
Don't worry, everyone gets different grades, as long as you meet your offer, it will be fine :smile:
(Also I think I failed my entrance exam miserably :tongue: )

5 A* though! I’m only doing 3 + an EPQ and there’s no way I could get at least 4 A*
5 A* though! I’m only doing 3 + an EPQ and there’s no way I could get at least 4 A*

Techniqually EPQ isn't an A Level, it's an AS Level :smile:

You only really need to be on track for A*AA for HSPS. Of course it's good to do better than that though :wink:
Reply 10
Original post by loletta
Eng Lit - A*
German - A*
Philosophy - A*
Politics - A*
EPQ (sociology) - A*

Also, did you find German? What resources did you use? I'm learning it as a hobby:biggrin:
Also, did you find German? What resources did you use? I'm learning it as a hobby:biggrin:

Cool :smile:
I used this news website to practise listening (it also has stuff on learning German): http://www.dw.com/de/themen/s-9077
And I used memrise to practise vocabulary.

If you need any specific resources I'm happy to give recommendations.
Reply 12
Original post by loletta
Hiya,

It’s been a while, any updates on how your finding the course?
It’s been a while, any updates on how your finding the course?

Hi :smile:
I've really enjoyed my course! It's been really great & interesting, although quite intense in terms of the work load! The quality of the lecturers and supervisors can really vary, especially the latter. There's a lot of abstract political theory and very good stuff on IR, but there's not a lot on say, how the British Parliament works from day to day, if that's what you're into!
Reply 14
Original post by loletta
Hi :smile:
I've really enjoyed my course! It's been really great & interesting, although quite intense in terms of the work load! The quality of the lecturers and supervisors can really vary, especially the latter. There's a lot of abstract political theory and very good stuff on IR, but there's not a lot on say, how the British Parliament works from day to day, if that's what you're into!

That sounds interesting! I think I will apply to HSPS then. What sort of IR topics did you do?
That sounds interesting! I think I will apply to HSPS then. What sort of IR topics did you do?

Nice :smile:

In IR the topics we did included:
1) Aftermath of Cold War & 9/11, the War on Terror
2) The changing nature of war & terrorism
3) International law, human rights and the environment
4) Sovereignty and challenges to sovereignty (e.g.: Brexit, Isis)
5) Changes in the international order, e.g.: possible decline of the West

You can look at the topics in more detail in the course guide for first year IR here: https://www.hsps.cam.ac.uk/current-students/POL2PaperGuide20172018.pdf

literally my reaction scrolling through this pahahha :,,((((
What did you end up choosing and what is your career path?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending