The Student Room Group

Had a coldsore 5 weeks ago but the mark still hasn't gone...?

the coldsore is gone itself but my lip still has a mark on it, it's a different colour and is almost like slightly excess skin from being 'stretched' so to speak. It's been like this for the last 3 and a half weeks with no change.

It's disgusting

wtf can i do to make it go back to normal??
Reply 1
Yo asap
Original post by Yaboi
Yo asap

hmm have you gone to the doctors?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymouspsych
hmm have you gone to the doctors?

No, they're absolutely useless with these types of things.
Did you mess round with the cold sore? Normal cold sores are caused by the HSV (usually type 1) and heal without scarring. But if you've tried to "burst" it or peel it off before the vesicle healed then you may have caused additional trauma leading to fibrosis and hence the scarring you're seeing.
Reply 5
Original post by Nav_Mallhi
Did you mess round with the cold sore? Normal cold sores are caused by the HSV (usually type 1) and heal without scarring. But if you've tried to "burst" it or peel it off before the vesicle healed then you may have caused additional trauma leading to fibrosis and hence the scarring you're seeing.

I don't think I did but often times when i showered the scab so to speak to come off just because of water, it's not even the colour. It's like excess skin thingy thats got me stressed.
Reply 6
brb no one helped

also who tf put this in health where it'll get no replies
where the **** did you get symptomatic herpes from
Time. The skin is fresh and therefore a different colour to your natural complexion. It can take anywhere from 1-3 months for that area to completely heal and return back to normal without scarring. Try to keep the area moisturised and use Vitamin E Oil, or a Scar Serum to prevent post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. I don't quite understand what you mean by excess skin, but don't pick at it, all should be fine.
Reply 9
Original post by Technetium
Time. The skin is fresh and therefore a different colour to your natural complexion. It can take anywhere from 1-3 months for that area to completely heal and return back to normal without scarring. Try to keep the area moisturised and use Vitamin E Oil, or a Scar Serum to prevent post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. I don't quite understand what you mean by excess skin, but don't pick at it, all should be fine.

you know how when you get a coldsore the area puffs like a zit almost.

that without the actual coldsore, it's just like a small area of stretched lip skin if that makes sense. It's as if after the coldsore went, the lip never went back to normal.
Original post by Yaboi
you know how when you get a coldsore the area puffs like a zit almost.

that without the actual coldsore, it's just like a small area of stretched lip skin if that makes sense. It's as if after the coldsore went, the lip never went back to normal.

Oh right, I understand. It will eventually scab over/dry up and fall off. Don't worry. As annoying as it is, it just takes time.
Reply 11
Original post by inthedark1
where the **** did you get symptomatic herpes from

what herpes?

i get them periodically every year since i was 16-17, i dno who gave it to me.

Original post by Technetium
Oh right, I understand. It will eventually scab over/dry up and fall off. Don't worry. As annoying as it is, it just takes time.

at this point idc if it takes a year as long as it goes eventually
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Yaboi
what herpes?

i get them periodically every year since i was 16-17, i dno who gave it to me.

at this point idc if it takes a year as long as it goes eventually

Oh right, it should heal a little more than it has but it may never go completely its hard to say. Post a pic I'l tell you if it looks bad as theres probably only you who notices it.

Quick Reply

Latest