The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

Confused.. How many credits can be studied at the same time?

Hi

I have tried to look through previous threads and on the OU website but I can not find what I am looking for, so hopefully someone can help.

I am currently studying 30 credits at Level 2 and this course runs until May 2018.
I want to begin another course in Feb 2018 that is Level 1 and 60 credit.

Has anyone done this before? It is a 4 month cross-over of 90 credits and I also work full time. Was hoping this will be manageable as the larger credit one is an easier level.

Any experience of this or advice would be great.

Thank you :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
I am assuming you're doing an open degree as you wouldn't normally be able to do that in a more specific degree?

I think it's manageable. Some people have done 120 credits and worked full time. It's just tough!
I'm doing 120 credits in January, for about 6 months, though I work part time.

Original post by flowers89
Hi

I have tried to look through previosu threads and on the OU website but I can not find what I am lookign for, so hopefully someone can help.

I am currently studying 30 credits at Level 2 and this course runs until May 2018.
I want to begin another course in Feb 2018 that is Level 1 and 60 credit.

Has nayone done this before? It is a 4 month cross-over of 90 credits and I also work full time. Was hoping this will be manageable as the larger credit one is an easier level.

Any experience of this or advice would be great.

Thank you :smile:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by hannxm
I am assuming you're doing an open degree as you wouldn't normally be able to do that in a more specific degree?

I think it's manageable. Some people have done 120 credits and worked full time. It's just tough!
I'm doing 120 credits in January, for about 6 months, though I work part time.

Hi. Thanks for responding. I had planned on doing the Level 2 - 30 credit module and started that in September, but have only now decided to try and do a full degree, so would need to make up the level 1 modules.

I had read that you are meant to do them in order, but was hoping they would be okay with this as I had never originally planned to do the degree so did not start at level 1.

Hopefully 90 credits should be okay together for a few months... Best of luck doing 120 at the same time!
Yeah, it's not the best idea to do level 2 first. as level 1 prepares you for university standard of writing and really teaches you the basics. Not going through that and learning those skills in the early days may have had an effect on your grades. Level 2 and 3 are the levels that actually count towards your degree classification as well.

What are you planning to study towards and what have you studied so far?

Thank-you!
Reply 4
Original post by hannxm
Yeah, it's not the best idea to do level 2 first. as level 1 prepares you for university standard of writing and really teaches you the basics. Not going through that and learning those skills in the early days may have had an effect on your grades. Level 2 and 3 are the levels that actually count towards your degree classification as well.

What are you planning to study towards and what have you studied so far?

Thank-you!

I have a degree in Community Learning from years ago and so far have felt okay with the thought of esssay writing, but first TMA will tell if that is true..I had notice that this will count towards the classification, so was thinking I will do as well as I can for this 30 credits, then go back to leavel 1 for the next 120 credits to learn the basics again. (A bit backwards I know)

I am doing Level 2 Science of the mind and would like to go back to level 1 and start the full health scence degree.

What is ti that you are doing?
Have you informed the OU of what you're planning to do and that you're wanting to achieve that qualification, otherwise it will be viewed as an open degree?

If that module is part of the Health Science degree, then it shouldn't be too complicated to put you on the right course to gain that qualification. :smile: If you haven't already, I would highly recommend ringing the OU and discussing your choices before you enrol on anything to avoid doing the wrong module or it not being recognised as part of a Health Science degree.

I'm studying for Bsc (Hons) Psychology.

I have a degree in Community Learning from years ago and so far have felt okay with the thought of esssay writing, but first TMA will tell if that is true..I had notice that this will count towards the classification, so was thinking I will do as well as I can for this 30 credits, then go back to leavel 1 for the next 120 credits to learn the basics again. (A bit backwards I know)

I am doing Level 2 Science of the mind and would like to go back to level 1 and start the full health scence degree.

What is ti that you are doing?
Reply 6
Original post by hannxm
Have you informed the OU of what you're planning to do and that you're wanting to achieve that qualification, otherwise it will be viewed as an open degree?

If that module is part of the Health Science degree, then it shouldn't be too complicated to put you on the right course to gain that qualification. :smile: If you haven't already, I would highly recommend ringing the OU and discussing your choices before you enrol on anything to avoid doing the wrong module or it not being recognised as part of a Health Science degree.

I'm studying for Bsc (Hons) Psychology.

I have the health science prospectus and the one i am doing now is included in the health science degree thankfully.

I am going to phone them tommorow, I just wanted to check that 90 credits would ba a mangaeable amount before calling them. The first level 1 course is DE100 investigating psychology, have you studied that one?
Reply 7
You can try to get a bit ahead with the level 2 module - and if you're thinking "no, I don't have time for that!" then there's your answer - which will help with some of the overlap. The start of many level 1 modules tends to be very introductory, which you might not need to spend much time on if you're already used to studying - some of the work will be exercises based around working out much time you can set aside for study, and figuring out how the OU systems work.
That is my next module. :smile:

I have the health science prospectus and the one i am doing now is included in the health science degree thankfully.

I am going to phone them tommorow, I just wanted to check that 90 credits would ba a mangaeable amount before calling them. The first level 1 course is DE100 investigating psychology, have you studied that one?
Reply 9
Original post by Juno
You can try to get a bit ahead with the level 2 module - and if you're thinking "no, I don't have time for that!" then there's your answer - which will help with some of the overlap. The start of many level 1 modules tends to be very introductory, which you might not need to spend much time on if you're already used to studying - some of the work will be exercises based around working out much time you can set aside for study, and figuring out how the OU systems work.

Thanks, that's a really good way of looking at things :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by hannxm
That is my next module. :smile:

Fab! Starting at the end of January? :smile:
I know it starts in January, can't remember whether it's at the beginning or the end of the month though. :smile:

Fab! Starting at the end of January? :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by hannxm
I know it starts in January, can't remember whether it's at the beginning or the end of the month though. :smile:

I think this will be my next module aswell. I managed to get a phone appointment with an OU careers advisor to discuss doing 90 credits at same time and also about the level 2 before level 1 issues..

Quick Reply

Latest