The Student Room Group

Why is my boyfriend lying to me?

I sent my boyfriend a text message at 1 this morning and he has only just replied to my message. I've seen him flickering on and offline on Facebook all day long, yet he is pretending that he has only just seen my message because he has been 'sleeping'. The fact that he has taken so long to reply to my message doesn't particularly bother me, however I don't appreciate being lied to. I want to call him out on his lies but I don't want to start an argument.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by euphonious
I sent my boyfriend a text message at 1 this morning and he has only just replied to my message. I've seen him flickering on and offline on Facebook all day long, yet he is pretending that he has only just seen my message because he has been 'sleeping'. The fact that he has taken so long to reply to my message doesn't particularly bother me, however I don't appreciate being lied to. I want to call him out on his lies but I don't want to start an argument.

It's possible he's been logged on his phone but hasn't actually checked it.
If you accuse him of lying it's going to start an argument whether he actually is or not.
Reply 3
Original post by Tiger Rag
It's possible he's been logged on his phone but hasn't actually checked it.

Posts that he has liked and/or comment on today have appeared in my newsfeed.
Why is my boyfriend lying to me?

He probably doesn't want you to know the truth
Reply 5
Original post by DrawTheLine
If you accuse him of lying it's going to start an argument whether he actually is or not.

I fail to see how he isn't lying, haha.
You're overreacting tbh. I've sometimes not actually looked at messages until I can actually write a proper reply to them.
Maybe kept on putting it off, (eg. he wanted to wait until he could have a proper conversation, he just forgot) then remembered and had to make up an excuse. Imo it's sort of an overreaction.
(edited 6 years ago)
I fail to see how he isn't lying, haha.

Maybe he was checking his Facebook but not his text messages. That happens sometimes. I've accidentally deleted a text notification without seeing it, and therefore not replied to a message for hours, sometimes days because I haven't seen it.

Sounds like you have trust issues.
Reply 9
Sounds like you have trust issues.

Maybe.
Maybe.

Seriously, it is something to consider. If you're getting this worked up over a text message then it doesn't bode well for any bigger and more significant issues you come across in your relationship.
Seriously, it is something to consider. If you're getting this worked up over a text message then it doesn't bode well for any bigger and more significant issues you come across in your relationship.

I wouldn't mind, but this isn't the first time. He always seems to be making up excuses not to talk to me, but then he is the first to point out if I take a while to respond to his messages.
I wouldn't mind, but this isn't the first time. He always seems to be making up excuses not to talk to me, but then he is the first to point out if I take a while to respond to his messages.

It sounds like you need to have a calm discussion with him about this issue. Tell him what you've just said here, but don't say "always" because that sounds really accusatory. Make sure to tell him how you feel.
It sounds like you need to have a calm discussion with him about this issue. Tell him what you've just said here, but don't say "always" because that sounds really accusatory. Make sure to tell him how you feel.

Sorry, my bad. I mean the majority of the time he is making up excuses to not talk to me. :smile:
Texts are not always instant, I've had messages come in over a day after they have been sent

I'm not even arsed at this point. I might just end it.

Why I bothered making this thread I do not know.
bunny boiler alert hope he dumps u and sleeps with ur best female friend making u watch
Sorry, my bad. I mean the majority of the time he is making up excuses to not talk to me. :smile:

That sounds better. Tell him that and how it makes you feel when he does that, and hopefully he can explain why and stop doing it.
I'm not even arsed at this point. I might just end it.

Why I bothered making this thread I do not know.

Why the change of tune? You asked for advice, and we gave it to you. It didn't match with what you hoped we would say, so now you're giving up on your relationship?
Original post by captain banter
bunny boiler alert hope he dumps u and sleeps with ur best female friend making u watch

I hope someone gives you a punch on the nose for being so rude.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending