The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It can be given out for free or less than what they already cost if the govt decides to pay the private companies for the pads and then subsidise them to the public otherwise the companies wouldn't allow it and would prefer for women to pay annoying prices for them but whatever not really something I'll ever think about tbh
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Salt Queen
It can be given out for free or less

Less.. than free? They're going to start paying you to have your period? :laugh:
Original post by IWMTom
Less.. than free? They're going to start paying you to have your period? :laugh:

Less than what they cost obviously. Why would anyone say less than free? And Idk why you're asking me the last question.
Original post by Kambu
The feminine products available today have only been around since about WWI, women have done without them for thousands of years. Wouldn't say the're essential whatsoever.

Hahahaha this actually cracked me up. Women used to use leaves & bits of cloth, whatever they could find to shove up their vagina. Not exactly efficient and hygienic. How else are we going to stop blood leaking out of our clothes and staining everything our butts touch?
Original post by Blank Ocean
Normally the free condoms that are given away are cheap and pretty bad. I guess free pads and tampons can be given away but they'll be quite crap lol

A lot of them are already crap 😄
Original post by paul514
Can only remove the 5% vat once we’re out the eu

oh..

ugh :/
Condoms are given out for free as it's cheaper than treating people for STDs, terminating pregnancy or caring for pregnant women and then subsequently for a new person.

Periods are natural and giving free pads and tampons (which actually are a luxury when you can buy pads) won't really benefit the system in any way.

P.S. have a look at menstrual cups, they are a better value for money
Original post by soIiIoquy
oh..

ugh :/

Yea weird isn’t it, we can’t remove VAT off some odd stuff because of that like mobility scooters and fuel bills.
Original post by paul514
Yea weird isn’t it, we can’t remove VAT off some odd stuff because of that like mobility scooters and fuel bills.

thats strange, surely VAT should be removed from ALL necessities?
Original post by soIiIoquy
thats strange, surely VAT should be removed from ALL necessities?

Post leaving these things are up for debate.

I know vat on tampons will go as they already wanted to do that and they donate the income from the vat currently to women’s charity’s.
Whether they remove it off other things no one to my knowledge has been talking about it
Reply 150
Yes, I certainly think so, and say this as a guy, not a girl. When I get pain anywhere in my man bits I spare a thought for women, what it must be like for them when having their periods. :sadnod:
Original post by paul514
Post leaving these things are up for debate.

I know vat on tampons will go as they already wanted to do that and they donate the income from the vat currently to women’s charity’s.
Whether they remove it off other things no one to my knowledge has been talking about it

right.
Reply 152
Original post by gnewton12
I think this should depend on one's financial circumstances - if they struggle to afford sanitary products, then they should definitely be of no cost

I tend to think that's a deeper problem. If someone's struggling to afford sanitary products, they've clearly got pretty intense financial problems that can't really be fixed with simply giving them a few freebies. I'd be more inclined to try to tackle that route cause than address a single one of the (undoubtedly many) symptoms.

Original post by Kindred
There are only a few exemptions from NHS prescription charge, which means the majority of people who need regular prescriptions (including some life saving ones) are having to pay each time they collect them.
This page has info on prescription charges and exemptions
https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/Prescriptioncosts.aspx

That's not true at all. A 2016 Department of Health estimate was that 60% of people claiming prescriptions are exempt in some way, and 90% of prescriptions are dispensed free of charge.

Moreover, people who receive regular prescriptions would not (unless they're a bit daft) pay each time they collect: they would get a pre-payment certificate that caps the overall cost over a defined period to a low level.
Original post by Emerald777O
Yes, it should be free. We didn't choose this, it chose us. I never signed up to be in extreme pain for 3 days.

I'm sorry but no.

I didn't choose lots of things in my life that I have to still pay for.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by L i b
I tend to think that's a deeper problem. If someone's struggling to afford sanitary products, they've clearly got pretty intense financial problems that can't really be fixed with simply giving them a few freebies. I'd be more inclined to try to tackle that route cause than address a single one of the (undoubtedly many) symptoms.

That's not true at all. A 2016 Department of Health estimate was that 60% of people claiming prescriptions are exempt in some way, and 90% of prescriptions are dispensed free of charge.

Moreover, people who receive regular prescriptions would not (unless they're a bit daft) pay each time they collect: they would get a pre-payment certificate that caps the overall cost over a defined period to a low level.

Fair point
We didn't choose this, it chose us.

Yeah well I didn't choose to require nourishment to survive; guess the taxpayer should fill my fridge for me.
Original post by Sabertooth
I'm sorry but no.

I didn't choose lots of things in my life that I have to still pay for.

It's periods. Extremely painful periods and we have to pay for it? Even £1 is a little too much for that. But I mean, that's your opinion.
It's periods. Extremely painful periods and we have to pay for it? Even £1 is a little too much for that. But I mean, that's your opinion.

I have a psychotic disorder for which I take 5 different medications a month and have been for the past 10 years. It's not on the list of NHS exemptions. Why should I have to pay for drugs to stop me hearing voices? :dontknow:
Original post by Sabertooth
I have a psychotic disorder for which I take 5 different medications a month and have been for the past 10 years. It's not on the list of NHS exemptions. Why should I have to pay for drugs to stop me hearing voices? :dontknow:

I've never said once that you should have to pay. I personally think that you shouldn't pay for stuff like pads/tampons or medication.
I've never said once that you should have to pay. I personally think that you shouldn't pay for stuff like pads/tampons or medication.

Interesting. :beard:

I get migraines. Caffeine helps with the pain when painkillers and topamax have failed. Are you gonna fund my Starbucks?