The Student Room Group

Want to do dofe.. But how??

I'd really like to do bronze but I'm 18 year old and feel like it's too late.. And too complicated especially if I'm doing it alone and everyone does it with thier friends.
Original post by Acitee
I'd really like to do bronze but I'm 18 year old and feel like it's too late.. And too complicated especially if I'm doing it alone and everyone does it with thier friends.

Don't worry about it too much. They put everyone into groups of 4 and not everyone there are the best of friends. I did my bronze when I was 17, and the vast majority were around 14, but it didn't really make any difference.
Reply 2
Original post by Den987
Don't worry about it too much. They put everyone into groups of 4 and not everyone there are the best of friends. I did my bronze when I was 17, and the vast majority were around 14, but it didn't really make any difference.

Is silver in groups of 4 as well?

Also what were the volunteering and skill you did?

Did you not find it awkward doing it with 14 year olds? Haha I'm 18 so might just skip to do silver dofe.
Original post by Acitee
Is silver in groups of 4 as well?

Also what were the volunteering and skill you did?

Did you not find it awkward doing it with 14 year olds? Haha I'm 18 so might just skip to do silver dofe.

I'm not sure about silver, all I know is that at my school the teacher would always say to stay in groups of 4 at the minimum. It could be different in other places, don't know.

I didn't find it awkward to do it with 14 year olds, rather in my group I found it a little irritating. Not because of their age, but because they took the lead on the map and we walked in the wrong direction for an hour :colonhash:. To make it worst we ended up lost in a forest. We found out where to go eventually, but after getting us all lost, they had nothing to say to me when I suggested walking in a certain direction :tongue:.

For volunteering I just helped out with Year 7 maths lessons. The teacher supervising me signed the book off.
As for skill I just put 'chess' down. I learned how to play the game from my dad, and then a friend of his tested my ''skills'' after the 3 month period by having me play a match against him :biggrin:.

If you want to skip to silver then fair enough. But just don't skip straight to gold, its not the best idea :gigg:
Reply 4
Original post by Den987
I'm not sure about silver, all I know is that at my school the teacher would always say to stay in groups of 4 at the minimum. It could be different in other places, don't know.

I didn't find it awkward to do it with 14 year olds, rather in my group I found it a little irritating. Not because of their age, but because they took the lead on the map and we walked in the wrong direction for an hour :colonhash:. To make it worst we ended up lost in a forest. We found out where to go eventually, but after getting us all lost, they had nothing to say to me when I suggested walking in a certain direction :tongue:.

For volunteering I just helped out with Year 7 maths lessons. The teacher supervising me signed the book off.
As for skill I just put 'chess' down. I learned how to play the game from my dad, and then a friend of his tested my ''skills'' after the 3 month period by having me play a match against him :biggrin:.

If you want to skip to silver then fair enough. But just don't skip straight to gold, its not the best idea :gigg:

Ah I think the normal setting is 4. Did you do group meetings with them monthly? As I'll be joining random people for expedition so will I just meet them for training and then for the real camping? Just wondering if I would actually get along with them.

I definitely wont be doing any leading lol.

What was your physical?

Chess seems good ah so you didnt really have to do it every week for an hour?
Original post by Acitee
Ah I think the normal setting is 4. Did you do group meetings with them monthly? As I'll be joining random people for expedition so will I just meet them for training and then for the real camping? Just wondering if I would actually get along with them.

I definitely wont be doing any leading lol.

What was your physical?

Chess seems good ah so you didnt really have to do it every week for an hour?

When I did mine we had weekly meetings every Monday, where the teacher will show us a different ''Skill''. For example, how to set up your tent. Either that or to plan your route on the map.

You should be able to get along with them OK for most part, granted let's hope you don't end up with a group that thinks they know everything about map reading. You will get given an emergency phone number. You can use that in the practice if you get lost, however you can only use it for a real emergency on the real one, otherwise you might fail.

My group used that in the practice all the time :colonhash:....Then when we got lost in the forest, which had like 3 pathways to choose from, instead of looking for signs or a check point my 'group' immediately forgot common sense and went looking for that emergency number. Got annoyed with me when I told them it's pointless to do that there, thought I was being 'difficult per say':dots: Until they realized one thing.........................there's no signal in a forest :colonhash:. We got out though, why?, because there was a checkpoint 'map' nailed to one of the trees in case someone got lost......3 meters from us. They said nothing on the way back.:h:

My physical was my 'tennis' lessons. Though going to the gym would also work, just get someone there to sign it off.

Not really, no-one checks. They just want your booklet signed at the end after the expedition and up-loaded. :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest