The Student Room Group

How to get stronger in the gym?

Scroll to see replies

Read this
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3014757

Omar Isufs channel is a great place for the beginner tbh.
I've never been a fan of the most popular forms of 5x5, just never seemed to work very well for me for some reason. However, I've been using Vince Gironda's version for the past couple months and I'm loving it. Very simple version, you use around 75% of your 1RM on all the sets and rest only 30 seconds between sets. If you can complete all the sets of 5 then you add weight on the next workout. Doesn't sound optimally conducive to strength gains due to the rests being so short, but I'm adding weight to every exercise, every workout atm and getting all the reps. Looking thicker all over as well.
(edited 6 years ago)
I do starting strength and look breathtaking. Just don't get fat and you look like a greco-roman statue.
Are you getting enough protein and rest? It's important to give your body time to recover, you build the muscle as your body repairs itself. You should aim for 55-60g a day, maybe more as you're exercising.

I think its better to do shorter high-intensity sets, so doing 5 sets with 15 reps with a heavy weight, rather than 3 sets with 30 reps at a lighter weight.
Original post by crocodile_ears
Are you getting enough protein and rest? It's important to give your body time to recover, you build the muscle as your body repairs itself. You should aim for 55-60g a day, maybe more as you're exercising.

I think its better to do shorter high-intensity sets, so doing 5 sets with 15 reps with a heavy weight, rather than 3 sets with 30 reps at a lighter weight.

The average person eats more protein than that per day :lol:

Sets of 15 aren't going to build any great deal of strength. If you can do 15 reps then it's far from being a heavy weight, this would generally be considered light weight and high reps as a lifter. 30 reps is pure cardio.
Original post by Ze Witcher
Other than eat more, anything else? I'm still going to feel dead/tired with my other workouts

Don’t lift weights
Original post by Ganjaweed Rebel
I do starting strength and look breathtaking. Just don't get fat and you look like a greco-roman statue.

I'll make sure I won't get fat - no promises though
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
I've never been a fan of the most popular forms of 5x5, just never seemed to work very well for me for some reason. However, I've been using Vince Gironda's version for the past couple months and I'm loving it. Very simple version, you use around 75% of your 1RM on all the sets and rest only 30 seconds between sets. If you can complete all the sets of 5 then you add weight on the next workout. Doesn't sound optimally conducive to strength gains due to the rests being so short, but I'm adding weight to every exercise, every workout atm and getting all the reps. Looking thicker all over as well.
Oo, never heard of that one, I'll look into it. Thanks.
Are you getting enough protein and rest? It's important to give your body time to recover, you build the muscle as your body repairs itself. You should aim for 55-60g a day, maybe more as you're exercising. I think its better to do shorter high-intensity sets, so doing 5 sets with 15 reps with a heavy weight, rather than 3 sets with 30 reps at a lighter weight.
I don't think I would be able to sustain 15 reps of a heavy weight, thanks though. I'm getting plenty of rest, eating naturally as opposed to buying protein - I've wasted a little money in the past due to it as I barely used it due to me not being consistent - I'm trying to be consistent now, however, so I'll see how I progress first
Original post by Angry cucumber
Read this https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3014757 Omar Isufs channel is a great place for the beginner tbh.
Cheers, will do. I've watched loads of videos by Omar, also watched Athlean X, Buff Dudes, Scottherman, the twins - I even used to watch Mike Chang lol back in the day, but stopped now of course
Original post by RockyDennis
Apparently for strength you wanna do 5 reps with high weights. 5 sets of 5 is a popular training style. I've never trained for strength but that's common for powerlifting. You won't die benching with the bar, you have to bring the bar down over your chest not your neck. If you fail a rep all you have to do is roll the bar down your body. I don't bench though I also use dumbbells because they're better, you get a way better contraction and you can bring them out wide and sort of hyperextended at the bottom like a semi-fly and you get an ENORMOUS stretch that you absolutely can't get with the bar. You might also get better activation angling the dumbbells very slightly rather than horizontal. Like holding them at 25 degrees or so. I personally gained strength fine doing standard 3 x 8 sets. When I could do more than that I upped the weight. But whatever you decide on, make sure you do the compounds: Shoulder press, bar or dumbbells. I have got really good burn from overhead press with the bar standing, but for some reason NEVER get that anymore so do seated now. Bench with bar or dumbbells. Squats. Deadlifts. Deadlifts are definitely fantastic for your overall strength and you might see posture gains. If you care about your physique though, wear a belt when you start doing a decent amount of weight to keep your waist small. Also wear a belt if you squat a decent amount of weight. I don't like seated row. Try face pulls (one of the most important exercises you can do btw, ALWAYS include them in your routine - zero point having nice muscles if you walk hunched over) and standard bent-over rows. There are several variations of bent-over rows depending on how close you keep your elbows to your body, and they target different areas of the back. They are extremely effective and activate the muscle hard. Pull-ups and pulldowns you won't feel it as much as rows. Also try forced reps. When you're failing, say on dumbbell curls or whatever, cheat it up and then try to let it down as slowly as possible. Without a spot this is very helpful. If you are doing some one handed exercises you can use your free hand to physically move the weight to the top of the motion and then let go and let it down as slow as you physically can.
Thanks, really helpful. I prob won't need a belt because I'm not exactly big right now and face pulls feel great after you've done all the other workouts
Original post by N/A IS THE NAME
Thats mad. Well done- just go as often as u can. Also try getting a gym instructor or someone who knows how to use free weights at the beginning, then u can start going with a few of ur mates and compete. Try spend at least an hour each time u go and work on opposing muscles or muscles in the same area- 5/6 sets each and many different exercises and machines. Also go from your heaviest weights with enough reps to lower weights with most reps.
Cheers, I'm not a newbie, but I'm just incredibily inconsistent - yh, I've been going from light to heavy so might switch it up as it makes sense that I shouldn't exhaust myself before going heavier
Original post by angrypoliceman
you weren't vague enough pretty sure I know your name and address now
:emo:
Original post by N/A IS THE NAME
Eat something before hand (also a banana) with enough water during workout. And leave cardio to the end so u dont tire urself out.
Yh, I'm eating a banana before hand to give me a boost of energy - been doing a small amount of cardio at the beginning, but I don't think it's tiring me out - I think I would prob just have to eat more before hand.
Original post by ChickenMadness
increase weight or reps by a tiny amount each week. After a few weeks take a week off and lower the weight down a bunch. Then go back to the normal weight next week. Do that for the rest of your life lol.
Lol, this has been me for the past two years

Sets of 15 aren't going to build any great deal of strength. If you can do 15 reps then it's far from being a heavy weight, this would generally be considered light weight and high reps as a lifter. 30 reps is pure cardio.

I didn't mean like exactly 15 reps, I meant that its better to do more sets with less reps with a higher weight. Like its better to do less reps and to be tired at the end than it is to just do loads of reps and a weight that's too low for you. Short high-intensity sets are better than longer low-intensity sets.
Reply 28

depends imo

when I first started lifting typically I would do 15-20 reps till failure. It was quite a long while before I discovered that I was supposed to lift much heavier than that for gaining muscle.

however, during that time I still made reasonable gains..

imo if you lift the weight until failure you will still make decent gains

I saw a study on this too. where they got guys to lift lower reps and got guys to lift higher reps until failure and apparently they noticed little difference in muscle growth
I didn't mean like exactly 15 reps, I meant that its better to do more sets with less reps with a higher weight. Like its better to do less reps and to be tired at the end than it is to just do loads of reps and a weight that's too low for you. Short high-intensity sets are better than longer low-intensity sets.

That's fine and all, but why talk about heavy weights and then use 15 rep sets as an example :lol: Just struck me as odd, is all.
Original post by ANM775
depends imo

when I first started lifting typically I would do 15-20 reps till failure. It was quite a long while before I discovered that I was supposed to lift much heavier than that for gaining muscle.

however, during that time I still made reasonable gains..

imo if you lift the weight until failure you will still make decent gains

I saw a study on this too. where they got guys to lift lower reps and got guys to lift higher reps until failure and apparently they noticed little difference in muscle growth

Oh yeah, I never said 15 rep sets are useless - I incorporate them into my own routine regularly, I'm a firm believer in having heavy days and light days or incorporating heavy and light work into the same workout if you're on some sort of bro-split or PPL. Hypertrophy is stimulated via various pathways, makes sense to mix up your rep ranges IMO if that's your goal. I was just pointing out that using sets of 15 reps as an example of heavy weights for strength, is way off the mark, and I wouldn't at all recommend it if strength is your main goal. 15 reps is light, hardly anyone's idea of a "high-intensity short set".
(edited 6 years ago)
What does your diet look like?

I'm sure you're already aware, but diet is a very important part of building muscle. Don't just 'eat more', look at what you are eating. You should aim to eat quality foods. Try and get five portions of fruit or veg per day, it's not that hard once you find things you like. A tin of mackerel will be much better for building muscle and health than two snickers or a sugar filled protein bar.

If your diet isn't great, that could be why you're feeling tired during your workouts. You'll struggle to find a better breakfast than porridge. Before you work out make sure that you have eaten some decent carbohydrates, whether it be porridge, pasta or potatoes.

On days where I eat processed crap with little nutritional value it absolutely hits my system. I feel lethargic and not motivated to exercise.

In saying that, don't over-complicate it otherwise it's unlikely to last. Find a few healthy meals you like and can cook. I literally chop up vegetables I like, throw them in the oven for an hour with some olive oil and curry style seasoning. It's tasty, has at least five of my five a day but most of all, it's easy.

Also, as others have mentioned make sure your getting adequate sleep each night.

Quick Reply

Latest