The Student Room Group

The 'I really need to get my life together' GCSE blog

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mez_merising
oh my thank you so much!! english was always one of my weak points...any tips for eng lit??

No problem:smile:! I'm a bit rusty on lit tbh after the intense months of language last year, so all I'm doing right is writing down quotes on flashcards and hoping it works
Sunday, 29th October 2017
Days until mocks: 29 (uh oh)

And so it begins.

This is it now, this is really it. Like, from here on out, everything is going to be revision revision revision until when I finish my degree at uni. Gone are the days when I could cram the night before an end of year test, because, damn, this is it.

So I have 29 days until Winter mocks, and I'm currently torn between thinking ‘it’s too late now, you might as well not bother’ and ‘you have literally ages, chill’, but the New Meghan™ is productive and organised and has her life together (nervous laughter) so I’m going to *try* and do consistent revision every day. There. I said it. No going back now.

These are the goals I want to work towards this year:

-get up at 7am every day
-go to sleep at a NORMAL time
-try and read every day
-try and revise (even a lil bit) every day
-really nail those barre chords on guitar
-try and keep your bedroom *mostly* tidy throughout the week
-do your goddamn homework when you goddamn get it
and, finally, hopefully
-get as many 9s as you can

Today is going to be a ‘Meghan does a weeks worth of homework in one day’ kind of day, which would be pretty straightforward if I didn’t have a MOUNTAIN of holiday homework. I would have liked a productive holiday at home, but we were away on holiday for the whole week, so, of course, I was as productive as a dead slug. I managed to get my French done, and a bit of geography, but not enough to save me today.

So, due tomorrow, I have:

Geography:
Finish Rio case study notes, complete exam questions
English:
Analyse war photographer, complete context of all poems
Biology:
Make revision notes/ flashcards on y11 content so far
French:
Not homework, but I want to find some French artists/ bands so I can improve my listening skills. If anyone has any, please lemme know!

I don't know whether to update before doing work or after. I know I should probably update after, but updating before has given me great motivation to get everything done. I'm also not laying out a clear schedule, either, partly because of my infamous commitment issues, partly because over at trackingtime, we eat schedules for breakfast, I'd rather just update when and where. I still don't really know what I'm doing.
Reply 22
I think this has to be my favourite GYG blog ever! It's so God damn relatable, and we take almost exactly the same subjects with almost exactly the same targets - mostly 8's, couple 7's.

I've got most of my mocks in January so I'll start revising soon-ish. However, for French, Indila is a great artist, and if you look up extr@ french on youtube, you'll find this show that's a bit similar to Friends but is designed for educational purposes.

Definitely keeping a good watch on this thread - best of luck to all of you!!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by AlbabA
I think this has to be my favourite GYG blog ever! It's so God damn relatable, and we take almost exactly the same subjects with almost exactly the same targets - mostly 8's, couple 7's.

I've got most of my mocks in January so I'll start revising soon-ish. However, for French, Indila is a great artist, and if you look up extr@ french on youtube, you'll find this show that's a bit similar to Friends but is designed for educational purposes.

Definitely keeping a good watch on this thread - best of luck to all of you!!

Oh my god, thank you so much! I reallyyy should be doing geography right now but I just had to say that this honestly made my day!
I'll definitely check out both the things you mentioned- again, thank you so much!! The best of luck to you, too! We can do this!!:wink:
Is it just me or does school kill off your motivation? At the beginning of year 10 I was doing my homework as soon as I got it and now I'm procrastinating writing two french essays which were set over 3 weeks ago and are due in tomorrow...!
Reply 25
Original post by troubletracking
Oh my god, thank you so much! I reallyyy should be doing geography right now but I just had to say that this honestly made my day!
I'll definitely check out both the things you mentioned- again, thank you so much!! The best of luck to you, too! We can do this!!:wink:

So glad to hear it! Thank you! And yes, yes we can🙋*♀️
(edited 6 years ago)
Okay excuse my stupidity here, but can someone please tell me what GYG means. I'm quite new to the site and all these exotic terms confuse me, seems like a cool thread though :smile:
Original post by rubyft123
Okay excuse my stupidity here, but can someone please tell me what GYG means. I'm quite new to the site and all these exotic terms confuse me, seems like a cool thread though :smile:

'Grow your Grades' :smile:
Your thread is AMAZING! Really relatable and funny! You go girl! Xxx:biggrin:
Original post by A.N123
Your thread is AMAZING! Really relatable and funny! You go girl! Xxx:biggrin:

Thank you so much! I never expected this blog to receive so much positivity, wow:smile:
Yeah, it was a rollercoaster to say the least, but it was all worth it in the end. Thank you, the same to you!
Yeah, I know. Maybe this will be the year I discover a passion for our great saviour Pythagoras...?

you must be pretty talented! Are you planning on doing something to do with english in the future?

haha, I don't blame you to be honest, maths is often presented in a really dull and tedious manner not just at GCSE but in secondary education in general. Rest assured, maths isn't all boring :h:
Original post by Ensorcell
Is it just me or does school kill off your motivation? At the beginning of year 10 I was doing my homework as soon as I got it and now I'm procrastinating writing two french essays which were set over 3 weeks ago and are due in tomorrow...!

thankfully the level of homework generally decreases as you progress through GCSEs.

Hello, my name is Meghan, I'm a mess but very good at hiding it, I like to ramble (but I'm sure you’ll find that out in due time anyway) and, as the title says, I need to get my life together.

Welcome to my GYG blog. You’re probably here because you’re procrastinating revising. So am I.

So recently, I've been having an all time low on the motivation front, so what’s going to motivate me to get off my laptop and study? You guessed it, nothing less than public humiliation.

Mocks are just around the corner and, although I always have the motivation to revise when I actually need to, I always struggle to get it done just to get ahead. I've felt like I've been struggling stay afloat during the first two months of year eleven, so now is the perfect time to get into a good routine so it’s not such a shock in February.I was supposed to make year 9 and 10 flashcards over summer, but whelp that never happened and I'm also supposed to be making year 11 flashcards as I go, but whelp that’s not happening either.

So, uh, the basics I guess

The grades:

Spoiler

Yeah, I know, overambitious much. This time last year I wanted 9 9s, but all my optimism has crashed and burned since September, so we’re being a bit more realistic now. Okay, maybe I lowkey want all 8s, but I'm just trying to keep my expectations fairly low so I'm not inevitably disappointed on results day. Honestly, I'm just going to try and aim for as many 9s and not try and pinpoint my exact grades (she says, pinpointing her exact grades).

To be frank, a solid 73% of this blog will be me insulting maths. And physics. Definitely physics.

Pointless information about me:

Spoiler

I’m about 61% nervous, 32% excited and 17% sure I won’t meet my maths target, but, hey, let’s do this!

*Crises, my friend. :wink:
And yes, I'm in a couple of crises myself. The fact that I'm a year 13 student who should be working on her personal statement to actually get into uni, and instead I find myself stalking motivated GCSE students' blogs? ...Yeah, says a lot about me.

Good luck with your studies! (Let me just find a corner to rock myself back and forth in...)
Original post by _gcx
you must be pretty talented! Are you planning on doing something to do with english in the future?

haha, I don't blame you to be honest, maths is often presented in a really dull and tedious manner not just at GCSE but in secondary education in general. Rest assured, maths isn't all boring :h:

Haha thanks, and I think I want to do a creative writing degree, though I'm a little put off by how 'pointless' it seems. Idk, it just seems a waste of time compared to a medicine degree or something. My future career changes every other week though, so I won't be surprised if I want to become a forensic scientist by November.

I've seen some really high, way beyond GCSE level maths before that was more letters than numbers! I respect people who succeed in maths so much, especially those who stick with it and do a masters degree or something
Haha thanks, and I think I want to do a creative writing degree, though I'm a little put off by how 'pointless' it seems. Idk, it just seems a waste of time compared to a medicine degree or something. My future career changes every other week though, so I won't be surprised if I want to become a forensic scientist by November.

I've seen some really high, way beyond GCSE level maths before that was more letters than numbers! I respect people who succeed in maths so much, especially those who stick with it and do a masters degree or something

Well, you have a while until you come around to deciding on your A-levels, so it doesn't matter if you're still tossing it up in your head. I was originally set on a journalism degree, then compsci and now maths. :h:

Yeah, abstraction does that. In the end maths isn't all arithmetic :tongue: I plan on sticking with it, provided everything goes to plan.
Reply 35
Bwaha, sounds pretty similar to majority of my year😭Speaking of A-Levels, however, have any of you applied for sixth form yet?

Hope today was as productive as you planned, because I know it wasn't for me:-P
I still have motivation to do good in my GCSEs and aiming for all passes (I don't do 9-1), but I just don't like how they've changed GCSES! I also hate how English Lang/Lit is examined over the 2 years, ugh. I'd join in with the ranting about maths but I dropped out of it because I got my C a year early :biggrin:
Original post by AlbabA
Bwaha, sounds pretty similar to majority of my year😭Speaking of A-Levels, however, have any of you applied for sixth form yet?

Hope today was as productive as you planned, because I know it wasn't for me:-P

The due date for my application thingy is due on the 21st December, and I'm currently in the process of throwing together a rough first draft of my personal statement (another thing I failed to complete in the holidays whoops), but really I'm procrastinating doing it as per. Please tell me you've got your life together unlike me- have you applied? Do you know what you want to do?

Today was, well, meh. I got my English done, most of my biology done- though I wanted to do extra, then I got distracted faffing around on Spotify making a French playlist, which is why I'm currently ploughing through this damn geography still. *sigh* I guess tonight won't be the early night I had planned.
Let's hope that this week is a productive week for the both of us.
Original post by JedEmily
I still have motivation to do good in my GCSEs and aiming for all passes (I don't do 9-1), but I just don't like how they've changed GCSES! I also hate how English Lang/Lit is examined over the 2 years, ugh. I'd join in with the ranting about maths but I dropped out of it because I got my C a year early :biggrin:

Wow, maths a year early! Impressive! Are you in Year 11, or the equivalent of Y11, now?
Wow, maths a year early! Impressive! Are you in Year 11, or the equivalent of Y11, now?

I’m year 11 (year 12 in NI as P1 for us is reception to you guys).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending