The Student Room Group

Help on DofE about toilets?

Where to pee on DofE? Is it okay to just go on the path and squat and turn your back or do you have to walk far?
I'm going on my bronze DofE expedition in a few weekends and was wondering what the etiquette was for peeing? I have never peed outside before, but I know how too
Obviously I need to squat (should I invest in a shewee) but where do I need to go? Can I just allow the group to go on a head and just go on the path?
Also there are two boys in our group should I be grossed out if they just turn and start peeing?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jaynesmith2002
Where to pee on DofE? Is it okay to just go on the path and squat and turn your back or do you have to walk far?
I'm going on my bronze DofE expedition in a few weekends and was wondering what the etiquette was for peeing? I have never peed outside before, but I know how too
Obviously I need to squat (should I invest in a shewee) but where do I need to go? Can I just allow the group to go on a head and just go on the path?
Also there are two boys in our group should I be grossed out if they just turn and start peeing?

Don’t worry I did my DofE with a few girls (I’m a guy by the way) try and pee away from everyone, just tell them to slowly walk on a bit, or just tell them to stop there and go for a wee behind a tree/bush etc.
I probably wouldn’t bother with a shewee, because you could probably do it without though
Original post by Daniel100499
Don’t worry I did my DofE with a few girls (I’m a guy by the way) try and pee away from everyone, just tell them to slowly walk on a bit, or just tell them to stop there and go for a wee behind a tree/bush etc.
I probably wouldn’t bother with a shewee, because you could probably do it without though

Thank you, how far should I go in to the woods or can I just go on the path?
Also at night is there a way to pee in a tent, my older brother goes in a bottle if it's too cold to go outside
Reply 3

Walk off the path a little into a bush or something. Doesn't have to be far, just behind something so you aren't out in the open. Boys will probably do the same. They'll want a little privacy just as you would. :smile:

Btw you might like to take a travel loo roll/ some tissues and some hand sanitiser to make things a little more... clean.
(edited 6 years ago)
Also at night is there a way to pee in a tent, my older brother goes in a bottle if it's too cold to go outside

If you don’t want to be seen them go how ever far you feel necessary, it’s fully acceptable to go where you want, just make sure there’s no one around watching you.
And for both my bronze and silver DofE we were on a campsite each time with toilets literally a 30 second walk from the tent, I wouldn’t recommend peeing inside the tent in case you overfill the bottle or just completely miss is
Reply 5
when i did my bronze last month most of us just used the toilet whilst on camp and found that we didn't have to go that often during the day. We met up with our assessor at a few points, we met usually at public spots e.g. cafes and cricket clubs and there were always toilets there. one girl in my group did need the toilet whilst we were walking and she just went behind a bush. Its fine i don't think its worth investing in a shewee as its extra weight that you can live without.

I would just go in a bush/tree. Just tell your group to walk on a bit, or ask them to stop, and go behind a bush or tree. It's not really a big deal, because if you've got to go, you've got to go. I wouldn't bother investing in a shewee.

If the boys do just turn and wee on the path, then that is gross. I would expect them to at least go in a tree or a bush. However I'm a girl, so I'm not really sure haha.

Are you staying at a campsite? If so, then there should be some toilets, although they probably won't be very good. If you can wait until you get to the campsite then that's a good plan.
Original post by Kindred
Walk off the path a little into a bush or something. Doesn't have to be far, just behind something so you aren't out in the open. Boys will probably do the same. They'll want a little privacy just as you would. :smile:

Btw you might like to take a travel loo roll/ some tissues and some hand sanitiser to make things a little more... clean.

Thanks do I have to pack out the tissue

Original post by cactuss
when i did my bronze last month most of us just used the toilet whilst on camp and found that we didn't have to go that often during the day. We met up with our assessor at a few points, we met usually at public spots e.g. cafes and cricket clubs and there were always toilets there. one girl in my group did need the toilet whilst we were walking and she just went behind a bush. Its fine i don't think its worth investing in a shewee as its extra weight that you can live without.

I have like the worlds smallest bladder and I will probably have to go at least 10 times whilst on the expedition as ll be drinking a lot to stay hydrated.
Reply 8

If you need to go to the toilet just say to your group can we stop for a break then go off, find a tree or bush to hide behind! You may have to search for somewhere suitable but it will be fine :smile: and you don't need a shewee, me and my friends coped fine! Trust me, it's not as much of a worry as it seems now :smile:
Original post by LlamaLikeEllie
I would just go in a bush/tree. Just tell your group to walk on a bit, or ask them to stop, and go behind a bush or tree. It's not really a big deal, because if you've got to go, you've got to go. I wouldn't bother investing in a shewee.

If the boys do just turn and wee on the path, then that is gross. I would expect them to at least go in a tree or a bush. However I'm a girl, so I'm not really sure haha.

Are you staying at a campsite? If so, then there should be some toilets, although they probably won't be very good. If you can wait until you get to the campsite then that's a good plan.

Yeah the campsites have toilets but one of the boys has stayed there before and he says he would rather use a bush, but I'll find out what they are like when I get there
Yeah the campsites have toilets but one of the boys has stayed there before and he says he would rather use a bush, but I'll find out what they are like when I get there

It is easier for guys though to go in a bush haha. I know I would choose a campside toilet over a bush any day.
let out your inner pajeet and do it on the streets
It is easier for guys though to go in a bush haha. I know I would choose a campside toilet over a bush any day.

Yeah but he said the toilets are so gross, he said he went there with his scouts last year and the girl even decided to poo outside as they said it was disgusting
Original post by gwrren
If you need to go to the toilet just say to your group can we stop for a break then go off, find a tree or bush to hide behind! You may have to search for somewhere suitable but it will be fine :smile: and you don't need a shewee, me and my friends coped fine! Trust me, it's not as much of a worry as it seems now :smile:

Thanks so much
Original post by Nebuchadnezzaṛ
let out your inner pajeet and do it on the streets

What is a paneer???
Yeah but he said the toilets are so gross, he said he went there with his scouts last year and the girl even decided to poo outside as they said it was disgusting

Oh that's annoying. If everyone's going in the bush it won't be so bad then - as long as you don't all go at the same time :biggrin:
Oh that's annoying. If everyone's going in the bush it won't be so bad then - as long as you don't all go at the same time :biggrin:

😂 I'll team up,with my best friend and try to find a half decent pee spot
I've just had a message from the boy who's organised it, he says that the toilet is around the Bach of the main building at the top of the field, which is a slight hill, but we've camped at the bottom near the taps and washing up area so he said it gonna be at least a 10 minute walk to the toilet. In the night I normally pee at least twice and I just go round the side of my tent and pop a squat

Seriously, don’t try to pee in your tent if you’re a girl. That’s just never going to work. Just take a torch and a hoodie, and use the portaloo.
Original post by LeapingLucy
Seriously, don’t try to pee in your tent if you’re a girl. That’s just never going to work. Just take a torch and a hoodie, and use the portaloo.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending