The Student Room Group

Can I drop out of Year 13 once I turn 18?

A-Levels aren’t for me.

I never really wanted to do A-Levels. I stayed because I knew all my teachers and thought I would enjoy studying at a higher level. I’ve always hated school and the classroom environment as well as being a more hands on learner.

However, I suffer health wise from stress related migraines and the first seven weeks of term I’ve been off on average at least two days due to being stressed out and that’s with me being on top of my work.

I’m suffering health wise due to school. I don’t have an interest in attending college or doing a apprenticeship or traineeship. I work part time right every Saturday and absolutely love it, the people there are great and they’ve even said about employing me full time once I turn 18.

I ask this question because the law says “UNTIL you’re 18 years old” in which you’re required to stay in education until that age. I turn 18 pretty soon and have no interest in completing my A-Levels, I’d like to just leave as soon as I’m 18 and go and work full time where I work part time right now. My question is: can I do this though? The law pretty much says I can but I’m not entirely sure as it seems to be a grey area.

Any help on this would be appreciated.
Yes you could drop out right now if you want,be careful though,don't do something you might regret .
Reply 2
Original post by gfdhdfghdfgh
Yes you could drop out right now if you want,be careful though,don't do something you might regret .

I won’t regret it. I already know that. But I don’t want to have to do two months of education somewhere just to stay within the law.

What do you mean I could drop out right now? Won’t there be consequences to me doing so legally?
Technically yes when you turn 18 you no longer have to be in education/training. You can drop out on your birthday.
Reply 4
Original post by DrawTheLine
Technically yes when you turn 18 you no longer have to be in education/training. You can drop out on your birthday.

That’s great. Now I just have to hold out for two months then :frown:
where do you work and how much do you get paid?
Reply 6
From what you described I think you should drop out as soon as you turn 18, good look with your future endeavours.
Reply 7
Original post by Keslo
From what you described I think you should drop out as soon as you turn 18, good look with your future endeavours.

Thanks man
yeah, im sure you can drop out once you hit 18
Original post by iBradz
Thanks man

Out of curiosity what are you gonna do after you Drop out, will we ever see you again?
Reply 10
Original post by soIiIoquy
yeah, im sure you can drop out once you hit 18

Hopefully I can
Reply 11
Original post by Popsiclez
Out of curiosity what are you gonna do after you Drop out, will we ever see you again?

Just work full time where I work part time now. At the same time, aim for my dream and attempt to achieve it
Reply 12
You could drop out now, I know so many people who dropped out in their first year and went straight into employment. 100% sure the government will not really know nor care since you’re actually going into full time employment and not just bumming around.
Reply 13
Original post by abdfal
You could drop out now, I know so many people who dropped out in their first year and went straight into employment. 100% sure the government will not really know nor care since you’re actually going into full time employment and not just bumming around.

That’s what I’ve always thought about it. There are a couple of kids I know that left straight after year 11 and didn’t go to college, Sixth Form or anything and they just went to work straight away part time and chill at home when they don’t work. I just never took the chance due to the government and the law
hey man. how did this go for you? im pretty much in the same dilemma here.i’m wondering what stuff you had to go through with the school legal-wise bc i’ve talked to my head of year and i’m wasnt even allowed to drop down to a “part-time student” due to “funding” (wow). so, how did it go?
Reply 15
±I was given a part time schedule that ultimately meant I could come in late and leave early on certain days. It didn’t help, I still suffered health wise. I wish I left back in January and got on with life but everyone around me wanted me to stay. The headteacher and my head of year allowed the reduced timetable to go through and that was that. But when I was thinking of leaving, I had many conversations with them and they basically said that they couldn’t stop me from leaving as I had the legal right to leave as soon as I turned 18 years old. I could walk out and let them know I would no longer be attending and that would have been it, that’s what I was told. I will also say this, do what you think will help you and make you feel better, because sometimes you have to focus on the present and not the future. ( my teacher said supported my decision to leave because they understood) good luck man and any more questions let me know, I’ll try to help you. (Original post by kayke.kyriacou)

hey man. how did this go for you? im pretty much in the same dilemma here.i’m wondering what stuff you had to go through with the school legal-wise bc i’ve talked to my head of year and i’m wasnt even allowed to drop down to a “part-time student” due to “funding” (wow). so, how did it go?
Original post by kayke.kyriacou
thank you so much. that really helps a lot. hope ur going good
Reply 17
it's completely ok if you want to drop out however you may need to do this with your parents consent but you still are able to drop out without your parents consent
Reply 18
I searched this up due to me going through the same thing, I currently work part time but also do A-levels which i do not need due to not going uni and want to joing the navy asap. A-levels has created a huge bubble of unnecessary stress and disbelief in myself for my dreams. Yes I have spent a year and a half doing them, but it really isn’t for me and I absolutely hate it (more of a hands on guy) I hope it all worked out for you man and massive respect for doing this

Quick Reply

Latest