The Student Room Group

Calcium Homeostasis

I know that the parathyroid gland has calcium sensing receptors that detect a decrease in blood calcium levels, prompting PTH release and calcitriol production, ultimately increasing Ca levels again.

When blood calcium levels increase, the thyroid produces calcitonin. My question is: how does the thyroid know blood calcium levels have increased? Does the thyroid have calcium sensing receptors too? Thanks in advance
Original post by KUO101
I know that the parathyroid gland has calcium sensing receptors that detect a decrease in blood calcium levels, prompting PTH release and calcitriol production, ultimately increasing Ca levels again.

When blood calcium levels increase, the thyroid produces calcitonin. My question is: how does the thyroid know blood calcium levels have increased? Does the thyroid have calcium sensing receptors too? Thanks in advance

That is the only thing that makes sense tbh
Calcium is used to trigger impulses at synapses and help SNARE-mediated vesicle fusion at membranes. Higher levels may lead to more of this in particular thyroid cells?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending