The Student Room Group

Just got engaged at 20 AMA

As the title suggests I just got engaged at 20 years old.

I thought it would be nice to open up to anyones questions, especially as the age/timing of such big life events seems to be hugely debating nowadays.
Reply 1
It's your live to live not anyone else's. If you feel you're prepared and ready, then why not?
Congratulations

1 - How long have you been in a relationship for?
2 - Are you both around the same age?
3 - Do you live together?
4 - Are both of you at university, have jobs etc?
5 - How soon are you looking to tie the knot?
Reply 3
Congratulations! Bit early, but what flavour are you thinking for your wedding cake? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Nyimane
It's your live to live not anyone else's. If you feel you're prepared and ready, then why not?

This is what I have always said to myself. Its totally a personal decision.
Reply 5
Original post by Tempest II
Congratulations

1 - How long have you been in a relationship for?
2 - Are you both around the same age?
3 - Do you live together?
4 - Are both of you at university, have jobs etc?
5 - How soon are you looking to tie the knot?

Thank you for the well wishes,

We have not been together long at all. We got engaged at the 10 month mark, but we have a bit more of a complicated back story. We have been best friends for over 8 years and most people would say we should have got together years ago, but it just never happened (for various reasons). We both found ourselves single and in a good position to start a relationship just under a year ago and thats how we have got here.
We are both 20 and were in the same school year, currently we do not live together. I am in my third year of medicine and he is in the building trade (hoping to go into property when funds allow) and we currently live in two different cities. We are currently saving so that he can relocate to my university town when my current tenancy ends of my house in the summer. Its all a very long process at the moment but we will soon get there, we have very supportive friends and family which always helps.
As for tying the knot, I personally want to wait until I have graduated to get married, I feel like I would prefer the long engagement with enough time to fit planning a wedding around a medicine degree and relocating to different places. I would say 3-5 years is my time frame but im completely open minded.
Reply 6
Original post by Kindred
Congratulations! Bit early, but what flavour are you thinking for your wedding cake? :smile:

Thank you for the happy wishes.

I love this question already! We will most likely keep things traditional with a tiered cake of some form, and I can see us having a more "plain" flavour to suit everyone and then something a little bit more extravagant! Right now i honestly couldn't say, I think some form of chocolate something must be present or else my partner would not be a happy bunny.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous

We have not been together long at all. We got engaged at the 10 month mark, but we have a bit more of a complicated back story. We have been best friends for over 8 years and most people would say we should have got together years ago, but it just never happened (for various reasons). We both found ourselves single and in a good position to start a relationship just under a year ago and thats how we have got here.
We are both 20 and were in the same school year, currently we do not live together. I am in my third year of medicine and he is in the building trade (hoping to go into property when funds allow) and we currently live in two different cities. We are currently saving so that he can relocate to my university town when my current tenancy ends of my house in the summer. Its all a very long process at the moment but we will soon get there, we have very supportive friends and family which always helps.
As for tying the knot, I personally want to wait until I have graduated to get married, I feel like I would prefer the long engagement with enough time to fit planning a wedding around a medicine degree and relocating to different places. I would say 3-5 years is my time frame but im completely open minded.

Starting a family is a huge responsibility once there's kids involved though. You might want to start looking into family planning with the funds you have available.
Reply 8
Thank you for the happy wishes.

I love this question already! We will most likely keep things traditional with a tiered cake of some form, and I can see us having a more "plain" flavour to suit everyone and then something a little bit more extravagant! Right now i honestly couldn't say, I think some form of chocolate something must be present or else my partner would not be a happy bunny.

Good call. I would probably want some chocolate myself. :yes:
Reply 9
Original post by Nyimane
Starting a family is a huge responsibility once there's kids involved though. You might want to start looking into family planning with the funds you have available.

Im good on the kids front for now, Im just not at that stage in life where I could bring up children, I wouldnt have the time or money to invest in them.

wonderful love story.:redrose::redrose: i know a couple who got married at 21 and many years later they are still together. it just depends on the maturity level of the two people involved and their willingness to put in the effort to make a marriage work....and of course the depth of their love for one another. i wish you all the best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending