The Student Room Group

First time buyers in 2020 London will need to earn £106000 to buy a house

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ckfeister
It'll be the North alternative to London. I also wouldn't rule that out in 10-15 years things might take a turn.

It's probably already the alternative but without the global outreach or status
The housing market is going to collapse. Anyone who lives in london will know the number of new builds being built even near their area. House prices are skyrocketing and it's unsustainable when wages havent kept up.

I suspect by 2025 the bubble would have burst
The people complaining about London house prices tens to be those who aspire to spend their lives working as cubicle dwellers in London. In other words, the very people that create the demand that pushes up house prices.
don't live in London. simple as that.

It's no longer that nice anyway,
it will end in tears :emo:
Reply 25
What about Edinburgh?
Just move out of London. Problem solved.
Original post by Fonzworth
Don’t tell that to the ones expecting a 6 digit graduate salary

haha :rofl:
Reply 28
This is ******** from start to finish really.

It assumes an "average" house price. The obvious point is that first time buyers won't generally be buying a house at the average price, but a house that is of below average cost.

The second ridiculous idea is that a single person should be able to - at a stroke - by an average house on a single salary. Quite frankly, I think that's ridiculous: the average house is not a one-bed property. For the normal situation, a couple buying a property, that level of income is obviously far more attainable.

There's a problem, but sensationalist nonsense like this doesn't help produce viable solutions.
Original post by L i b
This is ******** from start to finish really.

It assumes an "average" house price. The obvious point is that first time buyers won't generally be buying a house at the average price, but a house that is of below average cost.

The second ridiculous idea is that a single person should be able to - at a stroke - by an average house on a single salary. Quite frankly, I think that's ridiculous: the average house is not a one-bed property. For the normal situation, a couple buying a property, that level of income is obviously far more attainable.

There's a problem, but sensationalist nonsense like this doesn't help produce viable solutions.

An average salary of one person used to buy a home in London.

The housing market isn’t a true market as the government controls supply and demand for housing through its decisions.
Original post by paul514
An average salary of one person used to buy a home in London.

The housing market isn’t a true market as the government controls supply and demand for housing through its decisions.

The govt doesn't have total control, they just heavily influence it. Which is true for all markets.

Only ones they have total control over is council houses which is technically their property anyway.
Original post by daario333
The govt doesn't have total control, they just heavily influence it. Which is true for all markets.

Only ones they have total control over is council houses which is technically their property anyway.

No they have total control of every facet of the housing market.
Original post by paul514
No they have total control of every facet of the housing market.

No they don't.

Explain yourself.
No they don't.

Explain yourself.

Yes they do, explain yourself lol.

My point is clear the government control everything in the housing market.

Explain what they don’t control.
Original post by paul514
Yes they do, explain yourself lol.

My point is clear the government control everything in the housing market.

Explain what they don’t control.

I am not explaining simple economics to you. Clearly you have no clue how the housing market works.

The government does not build every house and the government is not the sole supplier of housing. The government also does not set the prices for housing, nor do they complete restrict the number of houses being built (albeit councils have control over land).

What the govt does is regulate and influence the market with a variety of stuff.

To say the government controls everything in the market is just plain stupid and shows how ill-informed you are.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-announces-ambitious-plan-to-build-the-homes-britain-needs
I am not explaining simple economics to you. Clearly you have no clue how the housing market works.

The government does not build every house and the government is not the sole supplier of housing. The government also does not set the prices for housing, nor do they complete restrict the number of houses being built (albeit councils have control over land).

What the govt does is regulate and influence the market with a variety of stuff.

To say the government controls everything in the market is just plain stupid and shows how ill-informed you are.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-announces-ambitious-plan-to-build-the-homes-britain-needs

That’s funny my reply would have been similar to yours
Reply 36
It simply seems that it would be unattainable to most citizens. No doubt more people would resort to renting rather than buying houses.
Original post by paul514
That’s funny my reply would have been similar to yours

Then clearly one of you is talking out of your arse...
Original post by Drewski
Then clearly one of you is talking out of your arse...

Indeed, and each of us thinks it’s each other 😁

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending