The Student Room Group

Is Cambridge Out Of Reach?

Ok so before you write this off as a brag or troll thread, I'm genuinely overwhelmed by the number of conflicting responses to the same questions given by different people.

My GCSEs weren't amazing but weren't bad:
8 / A* in Maths
7 / A in English Literature
6 / B in English Language
As in Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Geography, Computer Science and French

For A Level I'm predicting
A* in Maths
A* in Computer Science (I slacked massively on my coursework at GCSE for the write up but I've stepped up my work ethic exponentially over the summer)
A in Physics
A/B in Further Maths (I'm doing ok for now but I'm not sure what the future holds, fingers crossed I get the A)

I'm hoping to apply to Oxbridge (undecided but leaning towards Cambridge) to do Maths and Computer Science, in my worst (still realistic) case of A*AAA do you think I could get into Oxbridge and do you have any other suggestions for other universities I should consider applying to (besides Durham, St. Andrews and Imperial)?
Honest answer
1. You will not be a strong Oxbridge candidate, but you can get in.
2. If you're doing AS Levels you will need to aim for AAAB preferably AAAA.
3. Best uni for Maths & CS you haven't mentioned are Warwick & UCL, then just below are Bath & Bristol.
Reply 2
Original post by GovernmentEarner
Honest answer
3. Best uni for Maths & CS you haven't mentioned are Warwick & UCL, then just below are Bath & Bristol.

That's very clear, thank you. Any suggestions besides UCL? I'm looking to stay out of London.
You'll certainly be rejected by Oxford, but Cambridge is a realistic choice.
afaik cambridge don't do maths and compsci, but in your first year you can do a 50/50 split of the two (and then it's just pure compsci but obviously it's very mathematical anyway). you'd also want to be predicted at least A*A*A (min requirement for cambridge) especially since compsci tests at interview, so you'd be relying on your gcse grades and predictions (and any AS grades) to get that far. if you work hard there's no reason why you wouldn't be a competitive applicant, your gcses won't be a deal breaker
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake
afaik cambridge don't do maths and compsci, but in your first year you can do a 50/50 split of the two (and then it's just pure compsci but obviously it's very mathematical anyway). you'd also want to be predicted at least A*A*A (min requirement for cambridge) especially since compsci tests at interview, so you'd be relying on your gcse grades and predictions (and any AS grades) to get that far. if you work hard there's no reason why you wouldn't be a competitive applicant, your gcses won't be a deal breaker

Also this option requires STEP
And at 1 college it requires another test after CSAT.
Reply 6
Original post by GovernmentEarner
Honest answer

Why isn't he a good oxbridge candidate?
Reply 7
Original post by stoyfan
Why isn't he a good oxbridge candidate?

I would say he's not a good Oxford candidate as I've heard they care a lot about GCSEs and his GCSEs were not that amazing. Cambridge care less about GCSEs and more about A-Levels and their entrance exams.
Reply 8
Original post by AmmarTa
Ok so before you write this off as a brag or troll thread, I'm genuinely overwhelmed by the number of conflicting responses to the same questions given by different people.

My GCSEs weren't amazing but weren't bad:
8 / A* in Maths
7 / A in English Literature
6 / B in English Language
As in Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Geography, Computer Science and French

For A Level I'm predicting
A* in Maths
A* in Computer Science (I slacked massively on my coursework at GCSE for the write up but I've stepped up my work ethic exponentially over the summer)
A in Physics
A/B in Further Maths (I'm doing ok for now but I'm not sure what the future holds, fingers crossed I get the A)

I'm hoping to apply to Oxbridge (undecided but leaning towards Cambridge) to do Maths and Computer Science, in my worst (still realistic) case of A*AAA do you think I could get into Oxbridge and do you have any other suggestions for other universities I should consider applying to (besides Durham, St. Andrews and Imperial)?

If oxbridge is your dream, then I suggest go for it. I can't answer whether ure a good candidate for them, since there're plenty of top grade students applying to their uni every year. I said go for it because I regretted not applying to Cambridge since I thought I was not good enough. I ended up at LSE and got first class honours. So I felt I wasn't that bad at all, and always think back that I should have applied to Cambridge. So yes, u should give it a try!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by May-o2q
If oxbridge is your dream, then I suggest go for it. I can't answer whether ure a good candidate for them, since there're plenty of top grade students applying to their uni every year. I said go for it because I regretted not applying to Cambridge since I thought I was not good enough. I ended up at LSE and got first class honours. So I felt I wasn't that bad at all, and always think back that I should have applied to Cambridge. So yes, u should give it a try!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You think? I'll give it a go!
To up my chances I'm going to do a bunch of super curricular activities and some further reading
Original post by AmmarTa
To up my chances I'm going to do a bunch of super curricular activities and some further reading

Best of luck! :smile:
Original post by AmmarTa

How'd it go? I'm interested to know

Quick Reply

Latest