The Student Room Group

Applied for provisional six months ago. Still hasn't come.

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here had a similiar experience...

I live in the UK, have done all my life. I applied for my provisional on 29/05/17. I have a history of mental health problems, the ones that affect me most are psychosis/ADHD.
After a month I decided it was quite a while because my friend got his in less than a week. I put it down to the fact that I obviously have a complex medical history and waited a bit longer.
Eventually I received a letter saying they had contacted my doctor and that they were making an assessment. Three months in I decided to ring the DVLA in Swansea. In short I was told there was nothing for my reference number.
I rang a few days later after that rubbish response (I don't see how they can tell me there's nothing for that reference despite having it on a letter from the DVLA, i think the woman on the phone was either useless of having a bad day) and was told that I just had to wait.
I understand waiting, and I don't mind waiting, but it's beginning to take the mick... I'm just wondering if anyone had any ideas for speeding up the process or if anyone has had a similar experience and how long it's taken for you to get your provisional (Although each person is different). The council has just axed a major bus route in my area meaning that if I ever wish to be employed I need to get driving as soon as possible.
Cheers.
You have to contact them again, saying when you submitted your application, give them your reference number and ask for an update. 6 months is ridiculous, it doesn't take that long to do an assessment on your health. But be firm (not rude, just firm) and tell them you need to know what's going on as it's having an impact on your life.
Reply 2
Original post by halcy0n
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here had a similiar experience...

I live in the UK, have done all my life. I applied for my provisional on 29/05/17. I have a history of mental health problems, the ones that affect me most are psychosis/ADHD.
After a month I decided it was quite a while because my friend got his in less than a week. I put it down to the fact that I obviously have a complex medical history and waited a bit longer.
Eventually I received a letter saying they had contacted my doctor and that they were making an assessment. Three months in I decided to ring the DVLA in Swansea. In short I was told there was nothing for my reference number.
I rang a few days later after that rubbish response (I don't see how they can tell me there's nothing for that reference despite having it on a letter from the DVLA, i think the woman on the phone was either useless of having a bad day) and was told that I just had to wait.
I understand waiting, and I don't mind waiting, but it's beginning to take the mick... I'm just wondering if anyone had any ideas for speeding up the process or if anyone has had a similar experience and how long it's taken for you to get your provisional (Although each person is different). The council has just axed a major bus route in my area meaning that if I ever wish to be employed I need to get driving as soon as possible.
Cheers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but would that not be 5 months?

Looks like you're going to have to apply again if they can't find you in the system.
Hi I’m having the same problem I’m under mental health for psychosis also coincidentally but I haven’t received it and it’s been 5 months
I also have been waiting 6 months I have been banned before I have never had any sort of licence but my ban is up was years ago I can't seem to get through they have my money I paid for it so surely they can't just ignore me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending