The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

University of Sheffield 2018 Q&A!

Hi all! :smile:

Welcome to the academic year and to the new thread for our 2018 applicants.
The University of Sheffield will be here to answer any questions you might have, so please feel free to either ask us via the forum, or to private message us.

Feel free to check out our video on choosing a University for some guidance and advice during this busy time: https://goo.gl/ey3q4e

It's great to see you all at the start of your University journey, and we wish you all the best :biggrin:

Kind regards,
Alice

Scroll to see replies

How well do you think international and local students mix? International applicant here
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Hi Milky-Way

The University of Sheffield has a great international community, and prides itself on the diversity of its student body. We were voted one of the 100 'most international' Universities by the Times Higher Education survey in 2016! Students from all backgrounds and nationalities join societies, clubs and sports, giving a great opportunity for you to meet people from different places :h:

We have a campaign which runs within the University called 'We are International', a great video which discusses this can be found here!

We also have a section on our website that provides information for international students about the community at Sheffield - here!

Please do have a look through and if you have any further questions, let us know!

Hope this has helped :smile:

Alice
Graduate Intern in UK/EU Recruitment
Original post by The University of Sheffield

The University of Sheffield will be here to answer any questions you might have, so please feel free to either ask us via the forum, or to private message us.

Feel free to check out our video on choosing a University for some guidance and advice during this busy time: https://goo.gl/ey3q4e

It's great to see you all at the start of your University journey, and we wish you all the best :biggrin:

Kind regards,
Alice

Hey I was wondering how EU students are marked when it comes to medicine. I mean, some of us do have A levels but our schools do not offer IGCSEs.. What happens?
Hello Hero_Lou

I am the Director of Undergraduate Medical Admissions.

Different countries in the EU offer different secondary educations - too many to list here, I am afraid! Some offer qualifications at 16yrs and 18yrs (e.g. like the UK's GCSEs and A Levels) and others do not. For example, in Italy, the school qualification is awarded at 18 yrs.

Our requirements will depend on the specific qualifications you are studying. If you are not sure if you meet our academic entry requirements, please contact the admissions team at [email protected], including details of what you are studying. We should then be able to advise!

Best wishes

Julian
Reply 5
What percentage of new postgraduate (not returning) students live in halls? And of those that choose halls are they mainly international students? Mature students? I'm trying to figure out what the best option is for me - halls or spare room in a house.
Reply 6
Original post by MinnieD
What percentage of new postgraduate (not returning) students live in halls? And of those that choose halls are they mainly international students? Mature students? I'm trying to figure out what the best option is for me - halls or spare room in a house.

I'm a new postgraduate this year, I can only speak for Endcliffe Village but a majority within my block are all new postgraduates. I believe the same is true for the city accommodation
Reply 7
Original post by lilGem
I'm a new postgraduate this year, I can only speak for Endcliffe Village but a majority within my block are all new postgraduates. I believe the same is true for the city accommodation

That's not what I meant. I mean what percentage of new students go into halls and what percentage go into privately rented accommodation/private halls?

You might be able to answer my second question though - is it mainly international and/or mature students in postgraduate halls?

Also what has your experience been like? How sociable is it? Did everyone get involved and go out in freshers? Have you made many friends in halls? Do you go out with flatmates much?
Reply 8
Original post by MinnieD
That's not what I meant. I mean what percentage of new students go into halls and what percentage go into privately rented accommodation/private halls?

You might be able to answer my second question though - is it mainly international and/or mature students in postgraduate halls?

Also what has your experience been like? How sociable is it? Did everyone get involved and go out in freshers? Have you made many friends in halls? Do you go out with flatmates much?

there's a mix between international/ home/ students straight from undergrad :smile:

I'm loving it so far, I mean it's stressful but its enjoyable. My block (Cratcliffe) is really sociable, I think I've met a majority of people within it- this was due to freshers and a lot of the postgrads took advantage of it. Even now there'll be a pre-drinks and the block is invited to whichever flat it is in.
I get on really well with the flat above me and next to me in addition to some flats over on each side. However, I'm in a flat of 3 as we all have the deluxe rooms and they tend to keep to themselves which is a pain. Fortunately, my course is very tight knit so I spend much more of my time with them
Reply 9
Well from my experience, it sounds like you have the best of both worlds! Sociable halls with people around you but a quiet flat you can retreat to when you've got a lot of work or need to chill and relax!

If you don't mind me asking, what course are you studying? Also do you mix much with undergrads?
Reply 10
Original post by MinnieD
Well from my experience, it sounds like you have the best of both worlds! Sociable halls with people around you but a quiet flat you can retreat to when you've got a lot of work or need to chill and relax!

If you don't mind me asking, what course are you studying? Also do you mix much with undergrads?

I'm doing MSc(Res) Translational Oncology (in the medical school)

I have a friend who is now a final year medic with whom I went to college with. Aside from that I've made friends with some first years (through a returning post grad)
Hello

How many students do you take each year for your chemical engineering course and were you in clearing this year?
Hi Milky-Way

The University of Sheffield has a great international community, and prides itself on the diversity of its student body. We were voted one of the 100 'most international' Universities by the Times Higher Education survey in 2016! Students from all backgrounds and nationalities join societies, clubs and sports, giving a great opportunity for you to meet people from different places :h:

We have a campaign which runs within the University called 'We are International', a great video which discusses this can be found here!

We also have a section on our website that provides information for international students about the community at Sheffield - here!

Please do have a look through and if you have any further questions, let us know!

Hope this has helped :smile:

Alice
Graduate Intern in UK/EU Recruitment

I feel like I will be suited for a maths degree rather than an economics degree. Osbitbpossible to ring up the admissions department and tell ask if I could switch courses?
Reply 13
do city standard self catered accommodations come with ovens?
Original post by imogy
do city standard self catered accommodations come with ovens?

Hi Imogy,

If you would like to have a look at what our city standard self-catered accommodation offers please have a look here at the 360 view which allows you to take a virtual tour of both the rooms offered and the kitchen:

http://360degreevirtualtours.group.shef.ac.uk/city/undergraduate/standard-self-catered

Hope this helps :smile:
Alice
What bursaries are available? Any applicable to Mature students?

Kind regards,
Alice

Hello there,

Looking for some advice.

I have just received a rejection from Sheffield for History with Foundation Year. I wasn’t given a reason but have since emailed admissions asking for feedback. I must say the rejection before interview came as a bit of shock as I was expecting at least an interview. According to the website, i meet the minimum requirements for eligibility for the course (I'm a mature student, I have the minimum GCSE grades, nonstandard entry qualifications = access course, I did my Alevels ten years ago etc) and, thus, was expecting at least an invitation to interview.

Is it possible this could be some clerical error? or am I reading something wrong?
Reply 17
Hello,
Will U of Sheffield accept C6 or above in English Language in West Africa Examination Council (WAEC) as fulfilling the English language entry requirements for admission into postgraduate study?
Hello
What is the overall campus like is it big?
Also is it in a rural or more urban area?
Original post by DatguyPhil
Hello
What is the overall campus like is it big?
Also is it in a rural or more urban area?

Sheffield isn't a campus uni, but all the main uni buildings are located super close to each other, so getting between classes isn't too bad. It's also right by the city centre so is in quite an urban area, although not quite to the same extent as central London or Manchester. There's still just as much to do in Sheffield though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending