The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cherryred90s
Funny, but the comparison doesn’t really make sense. Everyone uses toilet tissue. If there was something that men have to pay for that women don’t, then it would make sense

Wait... What? So things that everyone have to use every day are less likely to be paid for than things only half of people use only a portion of time?

Oh, I think I understand your argument. You're saying that paying for tampons is actually sexist since only women would be affected by it and the taxes would come from everyone. Is that your argument? I don't know.
Original post by Tiger Rag
That's different. Or would you be ok with us bleeding everywhere?

How is that the next logical step it’s the same as me saying are you ok with me taking a crap anywhere I like as toilet paper isn’t free.

They shouldn’t have 5% vat on them but they shouldn’t be free
Original post by Tiger Rag
But everyone needs food. You're not special.

Being 'special' is not the point. The point is that 'I didn't choose to need [whatever], therefore everyone else should pay for me to have it' is ridiculous reasoning. The taxpayer doesn't owe it to you to meet all of your needs. As long as we're able we all feed ourselves, clothe ourselves, house ourselves, clean ourselves and all the rest of it. Women can look after their own sanitary needs as well.
Original post by ThatOldGuy
Wait... What? So things that everyone have to use every day are less likely to be paid for than things only half of people use only a portion of time?

Oh, I think I understand your argument. You're saying that paying for tampons is actually sexist since only women would be affected by it and the taxes would come from everyone. Is that your argument? I don't know.

Well, Isn’t that the argument? That it’s unfair for women to pay for something that they cannot control? So wouldn’t it make sense to then come up with an example where men have to pay for something that they cannot control? Toilet tissue is something that everyone uses every single day. It would be ridiculously expensive to provide that to everybody for free

For the record, I don’t actually think that they should be free, perhaps without tax (if that isn’t already the case). I think that the only sanitary items that should maybe be free are the reusable ones
Original post by Pigster
Are you sure you know what the word "essential" means?

What, actually would happen if you were denied access sanitary towels and tampons?

If we were denied access, we'd start bleeding everywhere. It'd be highly unhygienic, and we'd end up getting stains on our clothes, furniture, public transport etc that someone would have to clean up, even though they stain quite badly.
Yeah, I still don't understand why tampons have VAT on them too-anything for money nowadays huh?
Well, Isn’t that the argument? That it’s unfair for women to pay for something that they cannot control? So wouldn’t it make sense to then come up with an example where men have to pay for something that they cannot control? Toilet tissue is something that everyone uses every single day. It would be ridiculously expensive to provide that to everybody for free

For the record, I don’t actually think that they should be free, perhaps without tax (if that isn’t already the case). I think that the only sanitary items that should maybe be free are the reusable ones

Think about it though.
Toilet tissue everyone uses- thats 7 billion people in the whole world that use toilet paper. So paying for that is unrealistic.
But only women use tampons, and only men use condoms.
Condoms are provided for free because they want to prevent births etc. And that makes sense, and the tax payer is very happy to pay for that. And yet we ask not to have to bleed all over our selves and public seating etc, and suddenly it's too much. People could choose to not have sex until they actually want a child, but I don't wake up on the 13th of each month and go "Nvm, don't want my period this month." And if someone couldn't qualify for benefits and couldn't afford tampons, they simply wouldn't get them. Homeless women don't get access to free tampons. Some people have to choose to bleed freely in order to feed their children. It IS a problem.

How expensive would be providing tampons for free? How would government guarantees of purchases affect the pricing? Would that increase or decrease the cost?

Whoever thinks they should needs to have a better argument than 'We need to do this', because they're the ones making the argument. If it's that women need them or they bleed everywhere, I will make the argument that everybody poos(There's even a book about it).

As you can see, providing free sanitary towels is much more sexist than free toilet paper.
Original post by mc_miah
Yeah, I still don't understand why tampons have VAT on them too-anything for money nowadays huh?

The eu won’t let us remove it so the 5% vat that is currently on them is donated to women’s charity’s
Well, Isn’t that the argument? That it’s unfair for women to pay for something that they cannot control?

Why does their sex matter? Anyone can have health problems out of their control.
Original post by the beer
Why does their sex matter? Anyone can have health problems out of their control.

Periods aren’t health problems
Original post by ThatOldGuy
How expensive would be providing tampons for free? How would government guarantees of purchases affect the pricing? Would that increase or decrease the cost?

Whoever thinks they should needs to have a better argument than 'We need to do this', because they're the ones making the argument. If it's that women need them or they bleed everywhere, I will make the argument that everybody poos(There's even a book about it).

As you can see, providing free sanitary towels is much more sexist than free toilet paper.

How is it sexist to provide them for free?
Panadol, feminax, hot water bottles and even chocolate have been said to alleviate period pain. No ones asking for all of that to be free so why are you dragging it out?

She said a) she didn't "choose periods". I didn't choose migraines
and b) she is in pain, I am in pain.
c) She said medications should be free, I'm pointing out what a slippery slope that is
Periods aren’t health problems

You mean they're not problems? They're definitely health related. And why would it matter if you're right anyway?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by paul514
The eu won’t let us remove it so the 5% vat that is currently on them is donated to women’s charity’s

thats good
Original post by mc_miah
thats good

but the choices of charities has been highly questionable as it has included pro-life lobbyists.
also i fear this will become a stick to beat women with who oppose it "well we can't get rid of it because it pays for all these charitable good deeds".

This whole thread has completely ignored period poverty too. I disagree with all women getting free tampons however those from poorer backgrounds should be entitled to them (especially school children and the homeless). This is because of how disruptive period without pads or tampons can be - especially to a young girl who is either too embarrassed to ask her family for them, or doesn't want to be a burden. Hence without them she struggles to get on with life as normal (including attending school). Therefore the government has a duty to step in to ensure equal access to education. Also to anyone concerned about this please donate sanitary products to food banks as many ask for them yet they routinely do not get donated (this is a quick fix to this problem and more needs to be done).
You mean they're not problems? They're definitely health related. And why would it matter if you're right anyway?

No, I mean they’re not health problems. In fact, they’re quite the opposite.

I don’t know what point you were trying to make
No, I mean they’re not health problems. In fact, they’re quite the opposite.

They're health benefits?

I don’t know what point you were trying to make

I'm not trying to make a point, i just can't get my head around why you feel sex is an important factor in getting health issues dealt with for free.
Original post by ImFailingUhOH
If we were denied access, we'd start bleeding everywhere. It'd be highly unhygienic, and we'd end up getting stains on our clothes, furniture, public transport etc that someone would have to clean up, even though they stain quite badly.

Disposable nappies are not free. There is an alternative e.g. terry toweling and safety pins. These are not very convenient, so people are willing to pay a premium for the convenience of disposable nappies.

The alternative to disposable sanitary towels and tampons is NOT "bleeding everywhere". Before they were invented, women didn't do nothing (sorry for the double negative). http://www.femmeinternational.org/the-history-of-the-sanitary-pad/

Women should pay for the convenience of tampons etc. compared to the alternatives (grass?). But, as I said earlier, I don't not agree that there should be a tax pushing up the price any higher than the cost price + a small profit to whatever company makes them.
(edited 6 years ago)
They're health benefits?

Well no. But they're usually a sign (minus pregnancy) that your body is healthy.

Latest

Trending

Trending