The Student Room Group

Stuck between which uni i'd pick as my first choice

I have 3/4 offers and I really don't know which I'd pick as my firm? My predicted grades are A*AA but would I be safer going for one of the unconditionals?

For the course, I like Edinburgh the most, but it's the furthest away, and I would prefer to be closer to home. Bangor was my favourite in terms of the actual university and the area, but also quite a distance since I moved house. Nottingham is closest and I like the city, but I've heard bad things from people who live there. I quite like Sheffield but as I don't have an unconditional I don't want to risk missing out on the grades...

Bangor - German and French - 96 UCAS points/C in German or unconditional if my firm choice
Nottingham - German and Russian - ABB or unconditional if firm choice
Sheffield - German and Linguistics - ABB

I'm waiting on Edinburgh for German and Linguistics still, hopefully, that'll come through soon?
Since your predicted grades are quite a bit higher than your offers, I would recommend picking the university you really want, regardless of any unconditional offers. I think you need to consider which combination of subjects you most want to do, which university is best for you and which city you like best, and then make your decision.
Original post by Tian1Sky
Since your predicted grades are quite a bit higher than your offers, I would recommend picking the university you really want, regardless of any unconditional offers. I think you need to consider which combination of subjects you most want to do, which university is best for you and which city you like best, and then make your decision.

That's part of the reason I'm not so keen on Bangor - it's a beautiful place and I think I'd love to study there, but they don't offer Russian. The place I wanted the most was Cambridge but I withdrew my application as I decided it wasn't best for me right now due to personal circumstances. Hence why I can't decide :frown: I'd equally love to study both German and Linguistics or Russian, tbh.
Reply 3
Original post by dragonoftime
I have 3/4 offers and I really don't know which I'd pick as my firm? My predicted grades are A*AA but would I be safer going for one of the unconditionals?

For the course, I like Edinburgh the most, but it's the furthest away, and I would prefer to be closer to home. Bangor was my favourite in terms of the actual university and the area, but also quite a distance since I moved house. Nottingham is closest and I like the city, but I've heard bad things from people who live there. I quite like Sheffield but as I don't have an unconditional I don't want to risk missing out on the grades...

Bangor - German and French - 96 UCAS points/C in German or unconditional if my firm choice
Nottingham - German and Russian - ABB or unconditional if firm choice
Sheffield - German and Linguistics - ABB

I'm waiting on Edinburgh for German and Linguistics still, hopefully, that'll come through soon?

You have until May to decide. There is quite literally no rush.

And don't firm an unconditional unless you would have firmed it without the "benefit" of it being Unconditional. They are a marketing strategy to help the university, not you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
You have until May to decide. There is quite literally no rush.

And don't firm an unconditional unless you would have firmed it without the "benefit" of it being Unconditional. They are a marketing strategy to help the university, not you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was considering Nottingham regardless of the fact I got an unconditional, just the fact I got an unconditional is a perk. I realise I have until May but I don't want to put off thinking about it until May and then make a decision I regret.
Reply 5
I was considering Nottingham regardless of the fact I got an unconditional, just the fact I got an unconditional is a perk. I realise I have until May but I don't want to put off thinking about it until May and then make a decision I regret.

It's *much* more common to make an early decision which is later regretted. Unfortunately we see them every year on TSR...

Also, don't forget your final A-level grades will still be important, even for an Unconditional offer: a future employer may also be interested in them.
(edited 6 years ago)
That's part of the reason I'm not so keen on Bangor - it's a beautiful place and I think I'd love to study there, but they don't offer Russian. The place I wanted the most was Cambridge but I withdrew my application as I decided it wasn't best for me right now due to personal circumstances. Hence why I can't decide :frown: I'd equally love to study both German and Linguistics or Russian, tbh.

I recommend going for the subjects you enjoy most, it takes a lot of determination to study languages, so you'll need to be motivated.

As for Cambridge, if you get good grades, are happy to take a gap year and your personal situation allows it, you could still apply next year.
I recommend going for the subjects you enjoy most, it takes a lot of determination to study languages, so you'll need to be motivated.

As for Cambridge, if you get good grades, are happy to take a gap year and your personal situation allows it, you could still apply next year.

How do i go about applying the year after? Will I still get a reference from the college i go to now or?
How do i go about applying the year after? Will I still get a reference from the college i go to now or?

I think it's basically the same process, just you would be doing it independently. I'm sure your school would be happy to do your reference again, though of course it's always best to check.
I think it's basically the same process, just you would be doing it independently. I'm sure your school would be happy to do your reference again, though of course it's always best to check.

Honestly I think I'll leave it and just go next year - it's not like Cambridge suddenly wont exist when/if i decide to do a masters
Reply 10

Note you can't apply next year whilst holding a place at another university. You would have to withdraw from your place, although you can certainly reapply, and you'd be very likely to get reoffers.

And your current school is likely to help you, you won't be their only post A-level (ie gap year) applicant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending