The Student Room Group

No motivation to do anything since I graduated

I graduted in July and since then I have no goals in life, nothing, no direction and I have nothing to work towards now.

I have a good family, job, a boyfriend and a journalism degree in hand but for some reason I just don't feel like doing anything anymore because I feel I have all I need. this is what my life has come to, working every day in a dead office typing out articles for a small local newspaper. sometimes I cba to get out of bed to go to work. Even if I changed jobs, I would get bored after 3-4 months because that's me.

I don't know what else to do because working for a degree at uni was my ultimate goal and now that I have done that, i don't know what else to work towards.

Any advice? How can I inject new goals into my life?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Hateocracy
I graduted in July and since then I have no goals in life, nothing, no direction and I have nothing to work towards now.

I have a good family, job, a boyfriend and a journalism degree in hand but for some reason I just don't feel like doing anything anymore because I feel I have all I need. this is what my life has come to, working every day in a dead office typing out articles for a small local newspaper. sometimes I cba to get out of bed to go to work. Even if I changed jobs, I would get bored after 3-4 months because that's me.

I don't know what else to do because working for a degree at uni was my ultimate goal and now that I have done that, i don't know what else to work towards.

Don't have much advice, just solidarity. I'm in pretty much the same position except my antipathy set in during my final year so I'm doing a masters and don't have a job, yet I don't have much motivation for it because it's just a way for me to waste another year. I spent years aiming to get into uni and since then I've just been coasting. I guess the main thing would be to think up a kind of 5 year plan? Like take stock of what your life is like now and decide what you want to change by 5 years' time (e.g. marriage, own a home, get a pet, get a certain salary, get a new job) and what you need to do to get there.
Reply 2
Yes

Original post by Etoile
Don't have much advice, just solidarity. I'm in pretty much the same position except my antipathy set in during my final year so I'm doing a masters and don't have a job, yet I don't have much motivation for it because it's just a way for me to waste another year. I spent years aiming to get into uni and since then I've just been coasting. I guess the main thing would be to think up a kind of 5 year plan? Like take stock of what your life is like now and decide what you want to change by 5 years' time (e.g. marriage, own a home, get a pet, get a certain salary, get a new job) and what you need to do to get there.

Thanks! a 5 year plan sounds good but all of those things you mentioned doesn't even seem that impressive, I can't think of anything life changing compared to getting my degree. marriage is boring and a house will still take years of working to get lol
Yes

Thanks! a 5 year plan sounds good but all of those things you mentioned doesn't even seem that impressive, I can't think of anything life changing compared to getting my degree. marriage is boring and a house will still take years of working to get lol

There’s something you can work towards - getting a house.
Reply 4
Yes

I was just trying to think of general achievements - what about saving a certain amount per month in order to work towards a house? Or saving up for a round the world trip or something like that? You could also do night school to learn some extra skills like a language, or even do a postgraduate course via distance/evening learning. Or if you're sporty maybe you could do stuff like climbing a mountain (from Snowdon to Kilimanjaro) or running a marathon or taking part in an Iron Man competition. Extra impressive if you're actually not sporty! :lol:
Travel and get a history!
Reply 6
good family? do you have kids? if not when you do your life will change. If you do well theres something...
Choose other goals in all areas of your life.... work towards them 1 by 1. Life will end soon, so just work hard and wowrk towards something so you enjoy your time alive.
Original post by Kevin Hodge
There’s something you can work towards - getting a house.

f out the way, GIMMIEEE SOME ROOOOM, I got the advices maannnn
Original post by Anonymous
f out the way, GIMMIEEE SOME ROOOOM, I got the advices maannnn

Das gewd mayne... DAS REAL GEWWDDD...

Spoiler

Use your money from your job to enjoy your time and find out what motivates you.
You have done well to achieve your degree- have a break from goals- take a few long walks and smell the flowers do to speak- be kind to yourself🌻

Exactly in the same position as you!
I also graduated in July this year and what I do everyday now is just sleeping and eating off my parents money. I know it sounds like I'm a useless and stupid person. But I really don't know what I should be doing or what's going on with my life. I don't even have a job, have no motivation to get one too. I've thought of many many things I want to do but never have enough courage to go out and get things done. Is this what it's called graduation depression???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by May-o2q
Exactly in the same position as you!
I also graduated in July this year and what I do everyday now is just sleeping and eating off my parents money. I know it sounds like I'm a useless and stupid person. But I really don't know what I should be doing or what's going on with my life. I don't even have a job, have no motivation to get one too. I've thought of many many things I want to do but never have enough courage to go out and get things done. Is this what it's called graduation depression???

Posted from TSR Mobile

I imagine it is just you being lazy, depression is a strong word.

You need to just get up and do something to work to one of the ideas you want to do, try make a small bit of progression to it every day. It is easy to not do anything when you are getting things handed to you on a plate, your parents just giving you money to do nothing all day isnt helping you at all
Original post by madmadmax321
I imagine it is just you being lazy, depression is a strong word.

You need to just get up and do something to work to one of the ideas you want to do, try make a small bit of progression to it every day. It is easy to not do anything when you are getting things handed to you on a plate, your parents just giving you money to do nothing all day isnt helping you at all

Oh wow thanks! This wakes me up, I'm not sure if I'm just lazy as you said. But I constantly crying and feeling like I'm a very useless person. I don't have a car or anything, so going anywhere without my parents is unrealistic. I live in a country where there is no public transport, so maybe you will never understand. I have a strict curfew, can't go out after 7pm. I have been in the UK for my a levels and undergrads for a total of 5 years, coming back to my home country now and I have no single friend, my childhood friends all have their new friends and we aren't as close anymore. I'm the only child and I basically have no one to talk to about anything. I feel so lost everyday. Yes it's true, it's easy to not doing anything everyday. But not having anything to do, no goals is indeed very hard!
Reply 15
It sounds like you're stuck in a rut. If you continue the way you are, I don't think things will improve very much, so the solution in my mind is to shake things up. Moving abroad worked for me. That might not be the ideal solution for you, since you have a boyfriend, but it depends what you want and how much you want it. I broke up with my girlfriend to move to Japan, and ultimately I think it was the right decision.

Take some time to think about how you can make a change.
Original post by May-o2q
Oh wow thanks! This wakes me up, I'm not sure if I'm just lazy as you said. But I constantly crying and feeling like I'm a very useless person. I don't have a car or anything, so going anywhere without my parents is unrealistic. I live in a country where there is no public transport, so maybe you will never understand. I have a strict curfew, can't go out after 7pm. I have been in the UK for my a levels and undergrads for a total of 5 years, coming back to my home country now and I have no single friend, my childhood friends all have their new friends and we aren't as close anymore. I'm the only child and I basically have no one to talk to about anything. I feel so lost everyday. Yes it's true, it's easy to not doing anything everyday. But not having anything to do, no goals is indeed very hard!

What do people who dont drive do for getting to and from work? I assume not everyone in your country drives.

While I know it is much easier said than done, you need to find something you want to work towards and maybe that will give you motivation. Maybe write a 5 year plan and then things might be a bit clearer.

It sucks that you dont really know anyone atm but that is temporary and the best way to meet people is to get out there. Look for a job, anything, as that means you'll start interacting with people again and give you the chance to develop friendships as well as give you a reason to get up and get you into a routine. Look at what career you would like to do and try start making steps to achieving it.

I know from experience that when you feel down, have no motivation etc it is super hard to start things but once you start something you will find that the momentum will keep you going. The only person that can change things is you though! Also try to look for solutions to problems you face rather than excuses to why you cant do something (not saying you are doing this but you might be)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by madmadmax321
What do people who dont drive do for getting to and from work? I assume not everyone in your country drives.

While I know it is much easier said than done, you need to find something you want to work towards and maybe that will give you motivation. Maybe write a 5 year plan and then things might be a bit clearer.

It sucks that you dont really know anyone atm but that is temporary and the best way to meet people is to get out there. Look for a job, anything, as that means you'll start interacting with people again and give you the chance to develop friendships as well as give you a reason to get up and get you into a routine. Look at what career you would like to do and try start making steps to achieving it.

I know from experience that when you feel down, have no motivation etc it is super hard to start things but once you start something you will find that the momentum will keep you going. The only person that can change things is you though! Also try to look for solutions to problems you face rather than excuses to why you cant do something (not saying you are doing this but you might be)

They either take taxi or there's something called tok tok, u can search in the google image, I don't know how to explain. But both are unsafe options and my parents aren't agree for me to take these rides. They keep telling me that they will bring me anywhere I want to go. Although, that means I can go anywhere I want but it's not the same you know?! And to some extent, I feel like I bother them so much......

Thank you so much, the 5 years plan sounds great. I should probably start with that. And yes, it's true, I think I have fallen into the trap of not wanting to do anything. I don't know if it's because of me feeling down or just being lazy, I really can't differentiate. But I'm feeling so bad and aggressive everyday. My mood changing is crazy.... idk. Maybe I should stop this ranting. Thanks a lot!
Original post by May-o2q
They either take taxi or there's something called tok tok, u can search in the google image, I don't know how to explain. But both are unsafe options and my parents aren't agree for me to take these rides. They keep telling me that they will bring me anywhere I want to go. Although, that means I can go anywhere I want but it's not the same you know?! And to some extent, I feel like I bother them so much......

Thank you so much, the 5 years plan sounds great. I should probably start with that. And yes, it's true, I think I have fallen into the trap of not wanting to do anything. I don't know if it's because of me feeling down or just being lazy, I really can't differentiate. But I'm feeling so bad and aggressive everyday. My mood changing is crazy.... idk. Maybe I should stop this ranting. Thanks a lot!

You're welcome

A note on the transport thing, it might not be the same for your parents to take you but unless they are going to pay for you to learn to drive and get a car, atm that is your only option (other than taxi and tok tok). When you get a job you can earn money to start learning to drive etc so view the parents taking you somewhere as just a means to an end.

Try going to the doctors about the feeling down thing if it gets any worse, it might not seem like a massive deal atm but it can spiral out of control quickly, I have been there and it does get better if you work at it :smile:

good luck

Look at the things that make you happy now. Social, hobbies, interests, work. What things in this area would you love to do everyday? If you don't know start looking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending