The Student Room Group

What is considered a good graduate salary?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by D3LLI5
Huh, had no idea they paid that much in Switzerland. It doesn’t detract from the fact that they don’t in the U.K. though

I'm aware, I know what they pay here bc of friends and it's a good bit lower (think i put a range up earlier).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
They do.

No. They. Don't.

https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Salary/Google-Software-Engineer-London-Salaries-EJI_IE9079.0,6_KO7,24_IL.25,31_IM1035.htm

The mean salary for a Software Engineer at Google in London is £61,210, those with little to no experience don't even earn remotely close to this.

Other monetary considerations ie. cash bonus, stock options are not to ever be considered as part of the salary, they are merely additional compensation.
Well i'm entering in with a ~30k base, with all the standard grad job perks, and potentially ~7K+ bonuses (based on last years analysts).

Numbers vaguified to ensure i'm not sharing my exact salary, as I dont know if i'm allowed to discuss that.

It's not the best as I was benchmarking salaries against reservoir engineers and investment bankers, but i'm still starting my career in an industry i'm passionate about and theres great scope for progression.

OT: looking at friends who are struggling to find work atm - 25k is a good salary for graduates in london but honestly anything as low as even 16k is acceptable to get your foot in the door.
Original post by iainvg
No. They. Don't.

https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Salary/Google-Software-Engineer-London-Salaries-EJI_IE9079.0,6_KO7,24_IL.25,31_IM1035.htm

The mean salary for a Software Engineer at Google in London is £61,210, those with little to no experience don't even earn remotely close to this.

Other monetary considerations ie. cash bonus, stock options are not to ever be considered as part of the salary, they are merely additional compensation.

Alright Ian, we've had this discussion before. I really cba arguing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Am on just over 20k, which is not great but am doing a job that I really enjoy and I will gain so much from the job in terms of experience and hopefully have the opportunity to further gain qualifications. I rather take the job I have now as it is close to home than get more in London but have travel cost.
Alright Ian, we've had this discussion before. I really cba arguing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't post fiction then?
Original post by iainvg
Don't post fiction then?

Yeah, i'll call my buddies up and tell them that they're lying to me about their own offer letters.

because ofc IanVG knows all and relies on glassdoor over hard numbers to argue

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Yeah, i'll call my buddies up and tell them that they're lying to me about their own offer letters.

because ofc IanVG knows all and relies on glassdoor over hard numbers to argue

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's actual evidence instead of hearsay?

Still waiting since the last time this came up for you to provide conclusive evidence to the contrary, until then, it's conjecture provided by a student, living in a deluded fantasy.
Original post by JustPadz
Hello fellow members of TSR, I was wondering what you would consider to be a good graduate salary.

I’ve read that the average graduate salary is 21k. So what would you consider to be good. 25k ? 28k ? 30k? 40k?

£21,000-£85,000.

Hope this helps.
Original post by iainvg
It's actual evidence instead of hearsay?

Still waiting since the last time this came up for you to provide conclusive evidence to the contrary, until then, it's conjecture provided by a student, living in a deluded fantasy.

It's not hearsay, I've literally seen the offer letters with my own eyes. Why would I lie?

Just because you're not used to seeing such high starting compensation packages doesn't mean they don't exist. Ignorance begets more ignorance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not hearsay, I've literally seen the offer letters with my own eyes. Why would I lie?

Just because you're not used to seeing such high starting compensation packages doesn't mean they don't exist. Ignorance begets more ignorance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can see why people want evidence from you when you say that the salary of a grad software engineer at google is so high in comparison to all other places (in the uk) for grad software engineers, especially when the only evidence online that is easily found says you are wrong (though note that the salary on glass door is just as credible (or not so) as you saying they get X salary imo)

Just saying you have seen offer letters to someone over the internet means nothing, so you should expect to be challenged to produce some form evidence.

What if someone on the internet told you that the base salary at an investment bank for the analyst grad scheme was 2-3 times higher than the average and you couldnt find evidence confirming or denying it, would you want that person to produce some form proof?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by jabbathemuttdog
Wow, it’s so depressing seeing your passion as the lowest earning job. :colonhash:

Well, the question is, do you want to earn a decent living, or be a 'starving artist living under a bridge' - a la Van Gogh? IMHO, the reason for going to Uni, is to collect the 'qualifications' to earn a decent living. People say that they want to 'study' Elizabethan art, or under water basket weaving. Fine, you don't have to go to Uni, spend a tremendous amount of money, do a large amount of work, miss lots of sleep, to "study" that. Buy a few books and read them!! Bingo, you've 'studied' the subject. People used to do that before there were such things as Unis. Basically a diy apprenticeship!!

Before i started my degree program (aeons ago), i considered 6 career paths. In each one, i found 5 or 6 qualified practitioners, and interviewed them separately. I asked such questions as: "How much do you make, Where do you see yourself in 5 yrs, 10 years, What would you do differently in your educational career, if you had it to do over, Do you think your career will outlive you, [i.e. do you think that you will be able to get a well paying job in it, as long as you want one]. One does not want to be a 'buggy whip maker' when gasoline autos come in!!

After considering all the possibilities, i decided upon electrical engineering. I got a Bachelors degree, worked for a number of years, noted that recent graduates that were job applicants already had Master's degrees, and decided to go back & get one of those. It turned out, that was the right thing to do. Here, nobody is going to trust you running a decent sized project [$5 to $10 million], if you don't have a masters.

A local 'headhunter' sends me job opportunities occasionally. Here is one. The quoted max salary of $60USD/hour works out to £95,049.50. For something near to this, i expect they would want a master's degree. About 65,000 to 75,000 would be appropriate for a Bachelor's candidate [that's in quid]. Job description:
About the Job Job Description: RF Engineer III is responsible for conducting highly complex network system administration and design engineering activities to maximize network connectivity and capacity. Performs engineering functions related to interconnect equipment and facilities, signaling systems, switches and traffic. Responsibilities may include: performing cost justification studies; planning, ordering and deploying network components; forecasting network/equipment needs and recommending appropriate configurations; resolving complex maintenance problems; monitoring traffic flows to ensure call delivery optimization; and providing technical leadership and expertise to less experienced engineers. Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or equivalent. 5 years related work experience. We are an equal employment opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or disability. You can view all of our jobs online at http://www.at-tech.com/?sc=11&id=1190949

www.monster.com is another good head-hunting site. Cheers.
<br>
Original post by Profesh
£21,000-£85,000.

Hope this helps.

So 86k is not good?
Original post by madmadmax321
I can see why people want evidence from you when you say that the salary of a grad software engineer at google is so high in comparison to all other places (in the uk) for grad software engineers, especially when the only evidence online that is easily found says you are wrong (though note that the salary on glass door is just as credible (or not so) as you saying they get X salary imo)

Just saying you have seen offer letters to someone over the internet means nothing, so you should expect to be challenged to produce some form evidence.

What if someone on the internet told you that the base salary at an investment bank for the analyst grad scheme was 2-3 times higher than the average and you couldnt find evidence confirming or denying it, would you want that person to produce some form proof?

I appreciate the skepticism but being accused of lying and living in a "dream world" is most certainly disrespectful. I've already had a pretty lengthy discussion with the other poster describing how the compensation breaks down for a typical offer at companies like Google - which, is information you can only really get if you know people with offers.

If someone said there is a firm paying way above average comp for banking, I'd believe it because I know of the type of firms they're talking about. Hell, there's actually one that pays almost 2.5x typical comp at other banks - but they're an outlier.
I appreciate the skepticism but being accused of lying and living in a "dream world" is most certainly disrespectful. I've already had a pretty lengthy discussion with the other poster describing how the compensation breaks down for a typical offer at companies like Google - which, is information you can only really get if you know people with offers.

If someone said there is a firm paying way above average comp for banking, I'd believe it because I know of the type of firms they're talking about. Hell, there's actually one that pays almost 2.5x typical comp at other banks - but they're an outlier.

That is fair enough then, agree it is disrespectful.
I didn't go to uni (but have started doing a degree online) all of my mates have just graduated and are finding their first jobs right now. From what I can tell, and judging by what my company pays grads, £30K is a decent start.

But then I'm earning over £50K right now without having a degree, despite being the same age.

Technology is the future my friends.

Where’s that?
Original post by D3LLI5
Where’s that?

Centerview

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cannon1
does salaries vary according to the uni that u graduated from ?

Yeah OFC..
Well I'm getting paid 45k (~50k) with my engineering O&G job out of uni, so I imagine a decent salary would be something around there. It doesn't really matter, in three years with a completed grad scheme I'll do my MBA and go be a big shot somewhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending