The Student Room Group

What have been your worst cooking mistakes?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ensorcell
Oh I love garlic! Best restaurant experience was when we were given a whole cooke garlic to dip bread in - it was amazing!

This sounds like something I could get on board with :yum:
Original post by discobish
When I was at uni, I tried to make poached eggs in the microwave... They exploded and the microwave partially blew up. :u:

Hahahhaa :rofl: Have you tried again since? Have you destroyed any more microwaves? There's so much I must know!
me and my sister were making a victoria sponge once
she puts in some baking powder
during cooking it I notice it sinking
"yo sis how much baking powder did u put in?"
"2 of these [holds up tablespoon]"
":facepalm:"
upon tasting it was disgusting :yucky: and sank more so in the bin it went :h:
Burning a chocolate cake in the first year of uni because I was unfamiliar with the flats oven
Reply 64
tried to make cookies and put them on grill instead of oven....they came out as some type of scone....
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Mine was definitely the time I made jam. It was a nightmare. I've never been one for baking :laugh: You can read about that here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4379496#primary_content

Tell me about yours? :colone:

I'd microwaved a creme egg not thinking about how hot the middle would get. I though't I'd be able to get away with it but when I held it in my hand the inside goo melted right through the shell and on to the palm of my hand. Burned for a few days after that. At least after that episode my family invested in a burn spray which has proved useful since the event.
I wanted to make some pudding. I always listen to music when I'm at home. So I was making it and I was so happy that I made it.
I went to my mom and asked her to eat. She ate the pudding and instantly emptied her mouth and drank water.
I didn't why she did and she scold me.
Later I found out that I put salt instead of sugar in it.
I burnt water when I was steaming some vegetables. (It is possible, I guess)
It was a very awkward story to tell my flatmates why the kitchen smelt of burnt something.

Another time, I fried my grandmother's microwave by putting an unopened pot of Nutella in it. oops. (I was 6 or 7).
Threw spices into an almost empty pan cause I did everything in the wrong order. That apparently causes a near lethal gas that chokes and blinds your whole family, so don't do that.
Gave my in-laws food poisoning, that was an embarrassing **** up.
I dont understand people who get the very basics of cooking wrong
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Threw spices into an almost empty pan cause I did everything in the wrong order. That apparently causes a near lethal gas that chokes and blinds your whole family, so don't do that.

I think I did this yesterday (albeit in a small quantity) :colondollar: What spices? I put cajun and cayenne pepper in a very hot frying pan with 3 chicken necks and it made me cough like hell for a good 45 minutes.
Original post by Sabertooth
I think I did this yesterday. What spices? I put cajun and cayenne pepper in a very hot frying pan with 3 chicken necks and it made me cough like hell for a good 45 minutes.

I did cayenne, cinnamon and cumin. The cayenne is what hits like a truck. I tell ya finishing that chilli con carnae was hellish
Original post by Retired_Messiah
I did cayenne, cinnamon and cumin. The cayenne is what hits like a truck. I tell ya finishing that chilli con carnae was hellish

Cinnamon in chili con carne? :beard:
Original post by Sabertooth
Cinnamon in chili con carne? :beard:

Just a lil bit. A smidge. I'm not even sure if it does anything.
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Hahahhaa :rofl: Have you tried again since? Have you destroyed any more microwaves? There's so much I must know!

I wasn't allowed near our uni microwave ever again :colondollar:
Original post by Jack22031994
I dont understand people who get the very basics of cooking wrong

I don't either.
I cook a lot, in trying to get the recipes right sometimes a lot goes wrong:colondollar:
-> making Turkish delight on Christmas Eve. First batch I forgot to add gelatin (it became like toffee) Second batch I accidentally got stuck to the worktop when I tipped it out. Spent my Christmas Eve scraping sticky Turkish delight off the worktop!
-> making Apple crumble, the sugar and flour were in similar tins and I was trying to watch tv at the same time...ended up with no sugar and way too much flour! (Though it tasted ok with a lot of ice cream)
-> making lemon macarons, I wanted bright yellow batter and kept on adding food colouring until there was so much food colouring that it affected the recipe and they didn’t form:frown:
-> making ice cream I had to make custard. Not sure what went wrong but it tasted like old socks.
-> cooking at school I burnt my arms not one time, not two times but three times. I got banned from going near ovens.
...there are so many more...:biggrin:
Until recently I couldn’t cook but when we got a shiny new kitchen installed complete with swanky induction hob and fan assisted oven I’ve made some pretty good food!
However this wasn’t without its disasters...
Taking a batch of corned beef pasties out of the oven and I burned my arm really badly- or I thought I had, luckily my doctor said it was just superficial.
Then there was the time I was trying to make a dish that involved chillies- chillies and eyes don’t mix well as I discovered! I now wear an old pair of sunglasses when mixing anything loose or potentially damaging- looks absolutely ridiculous but keeps my eyes safe!
I baked chocolate cookies. I was meant to put them in the oven for 15 minutes. They didn't look chocolatey enough after 15 minutes so I left them in there until they turned a nice deep brown. An hour an A half later my gran took them out and yelled at me.

Quick Reply

Latest