The Student Room Group

Accident whilst driving in instructors car

Scroll to see replies

why was the instructor swearing in Russian ? i am not sure that there are many qualified Russian driving instructors here :dontknow:
Original post by Doonesbury
Ah! Plot twist!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's the implication I get from the first two lines in the OP.

I might be wrong though.
Reply 22
Original post by moonkatt
That's the implication I get from the first two lines in the OP.

I might be wrong though.

No you're right. But still may be insurance issues with the "instructor".
Well, i think this is a mess...

I don't think its a legal instructor :giggle:
How does one drive into a parked car? It's a giant stationary metal box.
Reply 25
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Well, on insurance terms, I reckon this may still apply. @IWMTom can you confirm?

He can text all he likes as far as the insurer is concerned, as the driver was driving in accordance with their licence providing they do infact hold a full licence.

Driving instructors have extended insurance for a reason, however, the OP is most definitely at fault... they hit a parked car!
Original post by IWMTom
He can text all he likes as far as the insurer is concerned, as the driver was driving in accordance with their licence providing they do infact hold a full licence.

Driving instructors have extended insurance for a reason, however, the OP is most definitely at fault... they hit a parked car!

OP is, for sure, at fault.

But it does raise suspicions how OP was told to leave the scene of the accident, as others also pointed out.
Reply 27

But it does raise suspicions how OP was told to leave the scene of the accident, as others also pointed out.

Indeed, it does sound rather suspicious.
Original post by moonkatt
As a driving instructor surely, telling someone to leave the scene of an accident goes against what they should be teaching. I also imagine they'd be used to the occasional bump in their car.

It all sounds a bit off to me.

I guess its because he was texting instead of focusing upon what his student is up to as he knows he is partly to blame too as OP is inexperienced to drive without being prompted yet.

They are both to blame- one is inexperienced(OP) and the instructor was busy texting. This is the conclusion I came up with because the instructor has realised that he will be questioned too as to why he did not stop OP?
You really need to look into this driving instructor
Reply 31
Original post by MiszShortee786
I guess its because he was texting instead of focusing upon what his student is up to as he knows he is partly to blame too as OP is inexperienced to drive without being prompted yet.

How did OP pass their test, then?
Original post by IWMTom
How did OP pass their test, then?

OP was taking refresher lessons as she probably forgot and might not of been confident on the road as she stated herself she hasn't driven in years.

Thats not a question to ask me by the ways. Its a question to ask the individual that gave her a pass certificate
Reply 33
OP was taking refresher lessons as she probably forgot and might not of been confident on the road as she stated herself she hasn't driven in years.

Thats not a question to ask me by the ways. Its a question to ask the individual that gave her a pass certificate

One doesn't usually just "forget" how to avoid parked cars!

Whilst I am of the notion that something strange is going on with the instructor based on his reaction to the collision, I don't believe he is at fault here. Refresher lessons usually brush up on the intricacies of driving, rather than AVOIDING STATIC OBJECTS.

I'd imagine the instructor wasn't exactly expecting the OP to plough his car into another, so felt he could text whilst on the road to somewhere where maneuvers could be practiced.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by IWMTom
One doesn't just "forget" how to avoid parked cars!

Yeah true but the whole objective of undertaking refresher lessons is to 'perfect' their driving skills. This might have been the OP weakness from the begninng however it hasnt being noticed until now.

I dont know, but what I do know is that there is something fishy about this instructor.
Reply 35
Yeah true but the whole objective of undertaking refresher lessons is to 'perfect' their driving skills. This might have been the OP weakness from the begninng however it hasnt being noticed until now.

I dont know, but what I do know is that there is something fishy about this instructor.

I edited my post just before you replied :smile:
Original post by IWMTom
One doesn't usually just "forget" how to avoid parked cars!

Whilst I am of the notion that something strange is going on with the instructor based on his reaction to the collision, I don't believe he is at fault here. Refresher lessons usually brush up on the intricacies of driving, rather than AVOIDING STATIC OBJECTS.

I'd imagine the instructor wasn't exactly expecting the OP to plough his car into another, so felt he could text whilst on the road to somewhere where maneuvers could be practiced.

My point still stands. He should not be texting thats not an expected behavior from an instructor. When I was learning to drive my instructor would stop at a safe place then text/call or whatever. It seemed like this instructor has not read the rules of the road thoroughly yet either.

Im not saying OP is in the clear, of course not but this is where her weakness lies where she cannot maneuver around parked cars.
Reply 37
My point still stands. He should not be texting thats not an expected behavior from an instructor. When I was learning to drive my instructor would stop at a safe place then text/call or whatever. It seemed like this instructor has not read the rules of the road thoroughly yet either.

Im not saying OP is in the clear, of course not but this is where her weakness lies where she cannot maneuver around parked cars.

That'd be because it's not permitted for him to use his phone when supervising a learner driver - this was not a learner driver, so he is permitted to use his phone at his discretion.

Navigating around parked cars isn't generally something you forget how to do...
Original post by IWMTom
That'd be because it's not permitted for him to use his phone when supervising a learner driver - this was not a learner driver, so he is permitted to use his phone at his discretion.

Navigating around parked cars isn't generally something you forget how to do...

Yes but if he had assessed the level of the OP it could have reduced this catastrophe from occurring in the first place.

Seriously who makes these rules of instructors permitted to use their phones for refresher students? It should be a no at all times.

Just like it is when individuals cannot text and drive but daredevils still go against the rules however they is strong restrictions in relation to such laws. Similarly should be done to instructors too. One is not bigger than the other.
Reply 39
Yes but if he had assessed the level of the OP it could have reduced this catastrophe from occurring in the first place.

Seriously who makes these rules of instructors permitted to use their phones for refresher students? It should be a no at all times.

Just like it is when individuals cannot text and drive but daredevils still go against the rules however they is strong restrictions in relation to such laws. Similarly should be done to instructors too. One is not bigger than the other.

It's frowned upon, but as far as I know, not against the law.

Quick Reply