The Student Room Group

Can't forget about being in a mental hospital

Hi guys,

Five months ago I ran away from home and told the police I would like to go hospital. This turned out to be a mental hospital and I freaked out ans made some bad moves... this meant that as well as being sectioned.... I was restrained and injected with unknown substances. I was not taken seriously in hospital and the staff were very rude and unprofessional... I feel like I should not have been there and it was a huge mistake.

I was in hospital for nearly 2 months. I was taken back in once by police as I tried to get off my medication. I did have strange thoughts about what was going on, but this was made worse by hospital and being forced medication.

Now I can't get past my experiences and I am still on antipsychotics! It's ruined my confidence and I have no idea how to come to terms with the past. I feel I was wrongly treated and inhumanely constrained both physically and chemically. I am back at work now, but this still plagues my mind.... how do I just "move on" or quite feeling sorry for myself.

I know I need to focus on other things, but it is difficult.

Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Didn’t u file a report or something?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys,

Five months ago I ran away from home and told the police I would like to go hospital. This turned out to be a mental hospital and I freaked out ans made some bad moves... this meant that as well as being sectioned.... I was restrained and injected with unknown substances. I was not taken seriously in hospital and the staff were very rude and unprofessional... I feel like I should not have been there and it was a huge mistake.

I was in hospital for nearly 2 months. I was taken back in once by police as I tried to get off my medication. I did have strange thoughts about what was going on, but this was made worse by hospital and being forced medication.

Now I can't get past my experiences and I am still on antipsychotics! It's ruined my confidence and I have no idea how to come to terms with the past. I feel I was wrongly treated and inhumanely constrained both physically and chemically. I am back at work now, but this still plagues my mind.... how do I just "move on" or quite feeling sorry for myself.

I know I need to focus on other things, but it is difficult.

Thanks in advance.

Have you thought about counselling or other non-medical ways of dealing with this? It sounds like you could still benefit from some additional support and talking about your situation. Do you have an assigned mental health support team?
Reply 3
Original post by N/A IS THE NAME
Didn’t u file a report or something?

I guess I should have. No one had informed me that I'd arrived at a Mental hospital seclusion room... the police took my phone as I tried to look at it. I was watched by some rude and unprofessional staff. I did throw a plate of food I was being given by one of the staff, from which point onwards I was restrained face down and injected with unknown substances, which really got me paranoid and crazy. Then I was accessed when I was too traumatised to communicate properly... then sectioned ! Do you think I may have a case against the NHS for this ?

Original post by markcoupeuk
Have you thought about counselling or other non-medical ways of dealing with this? It sounds like you could still benefit from some additional support and talking about your situation. Do you have an assigned mental health support team?

Hi yes, I am with Early intervention services. I've spoken to my community nurse about this and she is adamant that I was psychotic and all the right things had been done. Basically that it's all my fault.
she is adamant that I was psychotic and all the right things had been done. Basically that it's all my fault.

Welcome to the world of being a psychiatric patient; no one believes you.
What were the reasons she believes you were psychotic? Were you a danger to yourself or others at any stage?
Reply 6
Original post by markcoupeuk
What were the reasons she believes you were psychotic? Were you a danger to yourself or others at any stage?

She believes that the police must have given me the option to go hospital because I was showing signs of psychosis.

I really dislike my community nurse.
You can ask to have another one reassigned if you don’t feel like you do get on with her. In your circumstances I think the best option would be to pursue non medical interventions if possible - have you looked into Mind support etc?
If you don't mind me asking why did you ask them to take you to the hosptial in the first place?
Reply 9
If you don't mind me asking why did you ask them to take you to the hosptial in the first place?

I felt like I was having some anxiety at the time and didn't want to go back home.
I felt like I was having some anxiety at the time and didn't want to go back home.

How are you coping now?
How are you coping now?

Well I'm emotionally stable. But still feel distressed time to time and think about hospital.

I am also experiencing many negative side effects of my medication which I'm obsessed with trying to get off.
bump
Well I'm emotionally stable. But still feel distressed time to time and think about hospital.

I am also experiencing many negative side effects of my medication which I'm obsessed with trying to get off.

As a whole do you think it is worth seeking treatment for mental health or is it a waste of time as no one can really help you?
As a whole do you think it is worth seeking treatment for mental health or is it a waste of time as no one can really help you?

I feel they made matters worse for me.

I could have easily just had a break down and got on with my life... but going to hospital put a big traumatic gap in my life and I lost a lot of interests/passions in the process!
Still think about what happened to me all day... even when I wake up in the mornings :frown: no interests.

I was abused in hospital too. In desperate need of help to get out of this depression :frown:
Still think about what happened to me all day... even when I wake up in the mornings :frown: no interests.

I was abused in hospital too. In desperate need of help to get out of this depression :frown:

Sorry to hear that I myself am waiting to seek psychiatric help for depression now sort of hesitant hearing of your experience.Hang in there.Maybe think happy thoughts I usually think about my pets they make me very happy.Pre occupy yourself with things that will make you feel good about yourself such as sport or a hobby of some sort how about learning a new language?
this seems really weird

you ran away from home and told the police to put you in a mental hospital ?

and they chucked you in a mental hospital straight away ?

and you ended up getting abused ?
Sorry to hear that I myself am waiting to seek psychiatric help for depression now sort of hesitant hearing of your experience.Hang in there.Maybe think happy thoughts I usually think about my pets they make me very happy.Pre occupy yourself with things that will make you feel good about yourself such as sport or a hobby of some sort how about learning a new language?

Thanks. I know it's all in the head and I just need to get back to hobbies and interests... but it's very difficult. Get help if you feel you need it... but don't go along with a stay in a mental hospital.

Original post by study beats
this seems really weird

you ran away from home and told the police to put you in a mental hospital ?

and they chucked you in a mental hospital straight away ?

and you ended up getting abused ?

The police asked me whether I would like to go to hospital... but this turned out to be a mental hospital.

I was restrained several times and had my pants pulled down in hospital, which apparently is standard practise, but some other things happened which was definitely abuse.... still need to tell my psychiatrist about it.
Thanks. I know it's all in the head and I just need to get back to hobbies and interests... but it's very difficult. Get help if you feel you need it... but don't go along with a stay in a mental hospital.

The police asked me whether I would like to go to hospital... but this turned out to be a mental hospital.

I was restrained several times and had my pants pulled down in hospital, which apparently is standard practise, but some other things happened which was definitely abuse.... still need to tell my psychiatrist about it.

Why would they pull your underwear down?What exactly happened?

Quick Reply

Latest