The Student Room Group

Dropped out of uni, don't know how I feel

Hi,

Today after over a month of hating uni, I dropped out. I have no idea how to feel. I feel like I've made a huge mistake even though I know how much I hated it here and hated my course. I don't know what I'm going to do now. I've said I'm going to apply to go somewhere else on a different course in September, but I'm worried I'll hate that just as much. I also feel like a big failure...who goes to uni for a whole month and meets people and makes friends just to go and drop out? I feel like my family are going to be so disappointed with me.

I have nothing to go back to. I have the security of my A level grades but don't have the security of a place in September like my friends who are on gap years. I'm worried I won't get onto the course I want and will then have just wasted another year. I am going to have nothing to do when I'm at home and will just be waiting on going to uni in September, which I don't even want to do as I hated it so much this time around.
Why don't you get a job until next September and save some cash for the next time round? Then you will have somethng to do. You might even find a way that doesn't involve uni at all.
Try going for a degree apprenticeship?
Original post by vanderwoodsen
Hi,

Today after over a month of hating uni, I dropped out. I have no idea how to feel. I feel like I've made a huge mistake even though I know how much I hated it here and hated my course. I don't know what I'm going to do now. I've said I'm going to apply to go somewhere else on a different course in September, but I'm worried I'll hate that just as much. I also feel like a big failure...who goes to uni for a whole month and meets people and makes friends just to go and drop out? I feel like my family are going to be so disappointed with me.

I have nothing to go back to. I have the security of my A level grades but don't have the security of a place in September like my friends who are on gap years. I'm worried I won't get onto the course I want and will then have just wasted another year. I am going to have nothing to do when I'm at home and will just be waiting on going to uni in September, which I don't even want to do as I hated it so much this time around.

Dear OP first of all don't feel bad for dropping out! If anything it's sort of a good thing as it shows you've got you're head together to have known this early on that the course wasn't for you. It's one of lifes unexpected turns which quite frankly not even nostrodamus could predict! Remember that saying, you don't know until you try? Well this one of those times so no need to worry 🙂 . I dropped out after a semester a couple of years ago now and have been working since whilst I find out what I want to do etc and am now going back in September 2018. Now plan of action, I would most certainly advise for you to find work experience or volunteer as so not to leave any gaps on you're CV or UCAS application (i.e. personal statement). Plus it will keep you occupied and help you in being constructive with you're time overall. Also use this time to talk to friends and family for support, as well as reflect upon yourself as a person and find out what you're greatest passions are and what you would like to do. I'm more than certain you're parents will support you in this decision and give you all the support in the world regardless of what decisions and choices you make. It's not the easiest decision to drop out but at the same time is sometimes the best one. Don't feel disheartened, these things can arise very unexpectedly. You're more than welcome to PM me at anytime for advice or just to chat, I've been through this so I know exactly how you feel. I wish you all the best OP x
Original post by vanderwoodsen
Hi,

I'd maybe suggest talking to someone? You've lost the pressure now so you can just talk and figure things out. You sound like you're in a rough patch emotionally and it's dictating how you feel about things to me. If I'm wrong, apologies. Maybe the problem lies outside University and it's more to do with your mental health. I'm saying this because you dread another course and you didn't really explain WHY you hate this course. Or maybe Uni just isn't for you. That happens. Talk to someone and figure it out.
I think the way you feel now is you panicking about what your next steps are. I don't believe that dropping out was not a choice you took lightly and you gave it great consideration. In the end, you don't want to waste time and money studying something that you hate.

If you still want to go to uni, research courses and universities that interest you. There is no rush to go to university if you feel it isn't for you - you could look for apprenticeships, employment or internships. Take the time now to decide what you want to do, and then the path to get there. Your parents won't be disappointed in you, they are seeing you take charge of your future.
same. I feel great lol.
Reply 7
Well, I did this and went and got a job, flitted off around Europe for a bit, and when I felt ready, came back and did a degree I was actually interested in. Now finishing up a PhD and teaching the **** I'm nterested in, so dropping out doesn't need to be a marker of failure. Sometimes recgnising what isn;t for you is as significant as realising what is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending