The Student Room Group

Crashed car, need advice

RIP
(edited 6 years ago)
If you did not see something you should get your eyes tested. Good job it was not a pushchair with a small child.
Reply 2
Tesco will probably charge about £500 to repair the damage to their barrier.

The car, at least £1k.
Reply 3
Original post by MrLaca
I crashed my car into the metal divider that separates the car spaces and where Tesco keep the trollies :unimpressed

I pretty much didn't see the metal pole as it was too low down and just thought it was a standard spot next to me so I cut across to get out, got my car stuck on the pole and had to be lifted off it. I've assessed the damage and it looks to just be heavy damage to the paint work only and a slight dent to the skirts under the door.

What would you say the total cost of repair would be estimated based on the pics I've uploaded and also, my car has a black box in and it's designed to know when I've had a crash and since my car got stuck and I tried to move it maybe the insurer will know?

I've told Tesco and they will contact me on Monday about it, they said they might need to contact my insurer to get it fixed. I don't want to go through my insurer as it'll just make my cover cost go sky high next year and I want to keep my NCB.

Thanks in advance.

Theoretically, you're supposed to disclose this to your insurer irrespective of whether you intend to make a claim.

I'm somewhat astounded that you didn't know the metal barrier was there.. I mean.. you must have seen it on the approach?
Original post by barnetlad
If you did not see something you should get your eyes tested. Good job it was not a pushchair with a small child.

I agree with this 100%. Imagine if that was a toddler...

Best place for you is off the roads. Take that advice with the best of intentions.
Ouch, that's unfortunate.

Well, mistakes happen, and more commonly with quite inexperienced drivers like the OP. Luckily it's just some damage to property and not life. So it's a case of learning from this and moving on...

It's possible Tesco are going to report the accident anyway, so I think telling your insurer is something you're going to have to do. If they only find out about it from Tesco then you'll be in some trouble.

As for the damage, put the photos up on one of those garage comparison sites and see what quotes you get.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by MrLaca
Thanks for the advice mate, can see you've never had a crash in your life Mr. Perfect Driver. To be honest I wish it was you instead of the pole or a toddler, one so I wouldn't damage my car and 2. You'd shut up, it's supposed to be for advice not a lecture.

Kindest Regards,
MrLaca

This made me laugh, quite a lot... At least it wouldn't have been a toddler you killed.

FYI, I've never had a crash which was my fault. :wink: Enjoy your damage expenses. :ciao:

@AngryJellyfish @IWMTom
Reply 7
Original post by MrLaca
Thanks for the advice mate, can see you've never had a crash in your life Mr. Perfect Driver. To be honest I wish it was you instead of the pole or a toddler, one so I wouldn't damage my car and 2. You'd shut up, it's supposed to be for advice not a lecture.

Kindest Regards,
MrLaca

Most drivers don't go around smashing their new Audi's into big metal structures, so I don't know what that says about your driving skill...

Original post by RoyalSheepy
This made me laugh, quite a lot... At least it wouldn't have been a toddler you killed.

FYI, I've never had a crash which was my fault. :wink: Enjoy your damage expenses. :ciao:

@AngryJellyfish @IWMTom

:facepalm:
What an imbecile, honestly can't believe the stupidity of some people. Do you not look out for where barriers have been built?
Reply 9
Original post by Sweyn Forkbeard
Ouch, that's unfortunate.

Well, mistakes happen, and more commonly with quite inexperienced drivers like the OP. Luckily it's just some damage to property and not life. So it's a case of learning from this and moving on...

It's possible Tesco are going to report the accident anyway, so I think telling your insurer is something you're going to have to do. If they only find out about it from Tesco then you'll be in some trouble.

As for the damage, put the photos up on one of those garage comparison sites and see what quotes you get.

Appreciate the assistance with this unlike the moderators in this forum haha, I will deal with this through the insurance as that's the right thing to do. At the end of the day, I crashed and it was my fault. My insurer has a right to know and I'll deal with the consequences. Just glad it wasn't a person of course - although I said that to RoyalSheepy because I found the comment funny at the time :wink:

Enjoy your evening

AngryJellyfish IWMTom
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by MrLaca

The barrier was really low, toddlers shouldn't be walking unattended so that clearly doesn't apply in this situation. If a toddler was stood directly at the side of your car on the passenger side you would not see, I just forgot to think where I parked for a second - mistake was made and I will pay the price.

I understand that the barrier being low was an issue. What does appear odd is the length of the damage on the car. How fast were you going?

You will learn from this. I expect it to be an insurance claim, as the repairs to both the supermarket and your car will not be cheap. Please do drive more slowly in car parks, especially if reversing.
Sheet metal damage is relatively easy to repair [at least at the level shown]. On this side of the pond, local schools offer 'adult education courses', which are basically apprenticeships which are intended to 'teach the unemployable a trade'. In reality, they end up being used by young people - just starting out, who are not afraid to get their hands dirty, and who find themselves in the same position you are in. I took advantage of one of these, and for about 2 quid / hour i got a lighted, heated shop, with an experienced instructor [whom i shared with about 18 other students], and a decent collection of sheet metal tools. If the door is distorted [i find it hard to tell with the resolution of my monitor], you may have to take the door apart to get to the inside. Try to NOT break any of the little plastic clips when you do so - they are hard to find replacements for - particularly for older cars. Ones you find in wrecking yards tend to be brittle due to heat also. Pick up a book on sheet metal repair. There are a number of good ones out there. My instructor showed me a few useful tricks. As i had been working on my own for a few years on similar projects, i managed to show him a few tricks too. Best of luck!!
Reply 12
Original post by RogerOxon
I understand that the barrier being low was an issue. What does appear odd is the length of the damage on the car. How fast were you going?

You will learn from this. I expect it to be an insurance claim, as the repairs to both the supermarket and your car will not be cheap. Please do drive more slowly in car parks, especially if reversing.

Yeah that's true. I was just pulling out of a car parking space, not going fast, the car was stuck on the pole and when trying to get it off more damage was done to the car which is why the damage is right across the passenger side.

I will learn from it 100%, as I've said I will go through the insurance as I need to tell them anyway. It's my fault and I'll sort it out.
Reply 13
Original post by IWMTom
Most drivers don't go around smashing their new Audi's into big metal structures, so I don't know what that says about your driving skill...

:facepalm:

Yeah usually they don't, but Audi drivers have to get their obnoxious nicknames from somewhere don't they? At least I'm keeping the reputation up...

Quick Reply