The Student Room Group

rm.25's attempt at A Levels A*AA

JOURNEY TO As AND A*s IN THE WEIRD AND WONDERFUL WORLD OF RM.25

HEY!!

I'm rm.25 and this is my GYG blog 2017-2018!!! I have just finished Year 12 in a new school and now wish I was back in Year 11 :colonhash: I tried to keep a blog going last year whilst doing my GCSEs but that failed... anywayyss lets move on from that!

GCSE GRADES

Spoiler

What's going on now?
So I'm now studying OCR A Biology, OCR A Chemistry and Edexcel Maths for A Level! They are all linear courses so at the end of Year 12 I have internal exams only, external exams at the end of Year 13 :eek: I was taking EPQ but after a few lessons I decided to drop it because I want to focus more on my three main subjects.

Predicted Grades for A Level

Spoiler

What about the future??

Spoiler

Ok this time I'm really going to try to keep updating on here so there will be another post from me soon if I'm not drowning in revision and homework. Struggles...

If you have any questions about my blog post them below :tongue:
rm.25 :grin:

(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Procrastinating and Past Papers
Update 25/10/17

HEY

So much work, so little time......... :colonhash:

Procrastinating
So far my half-term has been very unproductive. I have been avoiding work and have decided that watching friends and changing the layout of my room is the better option :biggrin: Honestly though, last half-term really has burnt me out, I have no energy to sit down and learn the structure of a cell even after sleeping most of the day. I think its because I'm still getting used to the new school day layout. I have to get up an hour earlier to catch the bus and I get home around 2 hours later because the school day is longer and I catch the bus again. But on the plus side, I actually enjoy learning even more and the freedom we get in sixth form is so nice :smile: I know it will get easier and more manageable, its certainly not impossible. Probably time for me to change my sleep routine and get a more structured evening routine planned out. I will definitely post my routine here when I finalise it!

Past Papers
I have chemistry and biology end-of-topic assessments coming up after half-term, the chem one is actually on the first day back ughh. I'm going to finish writing up my notes and engrave them in my mind before doing past paper questions. I watched Unjaded Jade's revision video and now realised that you have to understand, learn and apply for the most effective revision. Normally I would test myself with past paper questions and miss out the 'learn' part for later, which does work sometimes but it looking back now it isn't really beneficial for longterm memory.

Goals for this week:

Work out a real evening routine

finish chemistry notes

finish biology notes

Chemistry calculations revison

revise maths chapters 1, 2 & 5

I will be back with another post tomorrow!

BYEEEE

rm.25 :h:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Calculations and Cramming
Update 27/10/17

HEY
I forgot to post yesterday :colondollar: I was too wrapped up in this video showing how cheeseburgers can be used to explain the basics of limiting reagents (shoutout to Tyler). Finally have found some motivation and willpower to get me through this week's work.

Calculations
Monday's chemistry test is about all the calculations we have done so far:

Back Titrations

Percentage Yield

Atom Economy

Limiting Reagent

Normal Titrations

Ideal Gas Equation

Empirical Formula

Molecular Formula

Moles Moles Moles Moles Moles aghhh. And balancing equations. I have revised half of the list and aim to finish the rest by midday tomorrow :biggrin: And then its time for past papers!!! :colonhash:

Cramming
for the chem test :smile: :u: And using the "understand, learn, apply' method.

Other stuff I need to do is sort out a volunteering placement by mid November, hopefully in a care home, and also have to put in my application to be a leader in the medvet society at school. Biology notes also need consolidating...

BYEEE

Great GYG blog , Good Luck!
Reply 5
Evening Routine and Extracurricular
Update 29/10/17

HEY

The half-term holidays are done! And so am I.

Extracurricular
Fitting extracurricular stuff around all this A Level work is actually quite hard, and knowing how much is too much?? I still have not sent my application for the medvet rep position... I doubt I will get chosen though because I'm new to the school and still getting to know people and my way around :redface: feeling negativveee about this. What qualities do you actually need to run a society/club at school??? You need to be organised and engaging but what else...? MIND BLANK PLZ SEND HELP

Evening Routine
I have figured out an evening routine YAAASSSS but whether or not I stick to it is for another post. It will (hopefully) go as follows:

17:00 - 17:15 Free time/Phone time
17:15 - 17:45 Exercise
17:45 - 18:00 Free time
18:00 - 19:00 Dinner
19:00 - 20:00 Homework
20:30 - 21:30 Going over notes/making notes
21:30 - 21:45 Reading
21:45 - 22:00 Downtime/Bed

I get home from school around 17:00 or sometimes 16:30 if I'm luckyyy. I get up (more like try to get up) at 6:30, so this routine should give me enough time to sleep...

In other news I have to revise back titrations and need to do more past paper questions for my chem test TOMORROW :colonhash: but at least I have a free period before the test to get some revision done :smile: hopefully it won't be too difficult............. I also need to look over my biology notes, that shall be tomorrow's adventure!!!!!

BYEEE

(edited 6 years ago)
Good luck!
Mind checking out my blog , would mean a lot x
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4998046
Reply 8
Original post by gw07mcgheerachel
Mind checking out my blog , would mean a lot x
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4998046

Your blog is amazing!! Love it
Original post by rm.25
Your blog is amazing!! Love it

Aw thanks
Reply 10
Scores and Staying Positive
Update: 1/11/17

HEY

First week back has so far been rubbish aghh

Scores
I got a couple of results back which I'm not extremely happy with... So for that chemistry test I got 57% and in my maths test from last half-term I got 54% :s-smilie: I've a lot of people on TSR say that its normal to get low scores on your first couple of tests but a few people in my classes did actually get 80% and above. I think mistake I made was not doing enough paper questions. BUT I will try not to compare myself to everybody else and use these scores as things to motivate myself to do better and get that grade A/A*!!!

Staying Positive
On the other hand, I have really started to knuckle down and have been using my frees productively yasss. I have another test next week but this time its for biology and I am going to revise for it properly over this week with LOTS of past papers. I also have the UKMT senior maths challenge next week which I need to do a couple of past papers for if I want to stand a chance of scraping a bronze certificate :biggrin:
I have finally submitted my medvet application!

Today's tasks:
Maths challenge paper
Complete biology notes
Maths homework on reciprocal graphs
Go over maths notes from last half-term
Look over biological molecule notes

BYEEE

(edited 6 years ago)
I'm doing higher biology, maths and chemistry which I think is similar to A levels not too sure, but we can defos give each other a hand when it comes to questions 😂😂
I'm doing higher biology, maths and chemistry which I think is similar to A levels not too sure, but we can defos give each other a hand when it comes to questions 😂😂

samee
Is it highers you're doing too?
Is it highers you're doing too?

nah just normal a levels
Aw ok think they're similar. I'm doing computing science too
Aw ok think they're similar. I'm doing computing science too

Oh nice :smile: How is it?
Yeah not too bad. It's my second year doing maths and biology but it's been so stressful, don't have a clue what highers are like compared to a levels ahaha.
Yeah not too bad. It's my second year doing maths and biology but it's been so stressful, don't have a clue what highers are like compared to a levels ahaha.

What are highers like? Do you get a qualification equivalent to a levels?
I'm not entirely sure what they're like compared to a - levels , they are the qualifications that we need to get into uni also sometimes with advanced highers which is basically first year uni work. It says on the UCAS tarrif they are equivalent to AS-Levels

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending