The Student Room Group

Length of a personal statement?

Hi all,

As I'm applying for a part-time course, I'm completing the University's own application form. I am attempting to write my personal statement and have realised I don't know how long it needs to be. I've heard about two sheets of A4? Is that about right? How many words is this?

Thanks.
There's a character's limit, stick to it.
Original post by poem1
Hi all,

As I'm applying for a part-time course, I'm completing the University's own application form. I am attempting to write my personal statement and have realised I don't know how long it needs to be. I've heard about two sheets of A4? Is that about right? How many words is this?

Thanks.

There should be guidance on the university's website about how long it should be.

If you can't find anything then ring up their admissions team and ask - don't guess.
Reply 3
Original post by New_to_tsr
There's a character's limit, stick to it.

I don't know the character limit, that's why I'm asking.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
There should be guidance on the university's website about how long it should be.

If you can't find anything then ring up their admissions team and ask - don't guess.

I wasn't just going to guess, it's only just occurred to me (I've only just started writing my first draft). I'll have a look on their website and if I can't find it, I'll contact the university. Thanks. 👍🏻
which uni?
Original post by poem1
I wasn't just going to guess, it's only just occurred to me (I've only just started writing my first draft). I'll have a look on their website and if I can't find it, I'll contact the university. Thanks. 👍🏻

That's good (you'd be amazed how many people would just guess!).

Even if they do let you go to pages of A4 I would recommend keeping it shorter - a side of A4 in 12 point font is more than enough!
Original post by poem1
I don't know the character limit, that's why I'm asking.

The information will be displayed at the area of submission, if not exert the effort of lowering your eyes to the footer of the page where I believe the relevant contact information will be readily available thus you can have an expert opinion rather than that of sofa-bound keyboard warriors and lifeless TSR administrative staff.
Mine was under the 4000 character (including spaces) limit because I hit the 47 line count limit first on ucas
Original post by New_to_tsr
The information will be displayed at the area of submission, if not exert the effort of lowering your eyes to the footer of the page where I believe the relevant contact information will be readily available thus you can have an expert opinion rather than that of sofa-bound keyboard warriors and lifeless TSR administrative staff.

Are you saying that the TSR CT are undead?

Quick Reply

Latest