The Student Room Group

How to revise science

I have mocks in two weeks, science ones are a tad later but was wondering in tips on how to revise for science? Ive tried mindmaps but i just spend probably about 3 hours on each topic just making a mindmap and I don't feel like they help me much
Original post by emilyyytaylorr
I have mocks in two weeks, science ones are a tad later but was wondering in tips on how to revise for science? Ive tried mindmaps but i just spend probably about 3 hours on each topic just making a mindmap and I don't feel like they help me much

I'm going to guess you're at GCSE level? The three sciences are generally a lot different to revise.

Biology: You've got a looooad of facts to remember here, so memory aids like flash cards, trying to remember in 'chunks' (for example, instead of trying to learn everything about disease, try to remember what pathogens/antibodies do, what white/red blood cells do, etc.) Because even if you don't remember everything, you'll still remember something! :smile:

Chemistry: Practise questions are the best way to go for this one! A lot of questions will be testing your knowledge of how to work stuff out, so you just need to make sure you know how to balance equations, work out molar masses etc (depending what level you're at). A quick google/wikipedia of Group 2 and Group 7 elements really helps too for stuff like Electronic Configuration and reactions etc.

Physics: It's been about 6 years since I did GCSEs so I don't know if you still get given formulae in the exam, but it's a good idea to know what they are and do some practise on algebra/rearranging equations since a lot of questions focus on that! Like Biology I recommend flashcards for things like how forces work and which formula is used for what - also Electronics is a topic they like to ask about a lot so do pay some attention there, by practise questions.

And finally, I'm a first year Biomedical Science student so feel free to send a PM if you want help! :smile:
Original post by CastCuraga
I'm going to guess you're at GCSE level? The three sciences are generally a lot different to revise.

Biology: You've got a looooad of facts to remember here, so memory aids like flash cards, trying to remember in 'chunks' (for example, instead of trying to learn everything about disease, try to remember what pathogens/antibodies do, what white/red blood cells do, etc.) Because even if you don't remember everything, you'll still remember something! :smile:

Chemistry: Practise questions are the best way to go for this one! A lot of questions will be testing your knowledge of how to work stuff out, so you just need to make sure you know how to balance equations, work out molar masses etc (depending what level you're at). A quick google/wikipedia of Group 2 and Group 7 elements really helps too for stuff like Electronic Configuration and reactions etc.

Physics: It's been about 6 years since I did GCSEs so I don't know if you still get given formulae in the exam, but it's a good idea to know what they are and do some practise on algebra/rearranging equations since a lot of questions focus on that! Like Biology I recommend flashcards for things like how forces work and which formula is used for what - also Electronics is a topic they like to ask about a lot so do pay some attention there, by practise questions.

And finally, I'm a first year Biomedical Science student so feel free to send a PM if you want help! :smile:

Omg thank you so much that's perfect, we have to learn 21 equations but i think about 9 are given. Thats so helpful honestly thank you
Original post by emilyyytaylorr
Omg thank you so much that's perfect, we have to learn 21 equations but i think about 9 are given. Thats so helpful honestly thank you

Yep, seems like nothing's changed then - can't recommend flashcards enough for them, they honestly saved me even at A Level! Just write 'em out and look at (some of) them once a day, you'll be ready in no time :smile:

For Biology and Physics (probably Chemistry too) something I forgot to mention about the 6 mark questions (or 'essay question' if you still have them) is that generally, the way to succeed is to remember a process. So for example, you might get a Physics 6-mark about how a star is formed, where you'll need to remember all the steps and you get a mark for each one. Best way to do this I found was making mini flashcard-books with each stage as a drawing and writing on the back, but you might find something better.

Hope all goes well :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest