The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow Applicants for 2018 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Just got an unconditional offer for Politics :smile:)))
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by catmckie
Congratulations!!

Thank you ☺️
Conditional offer for Politics! 38 IB points and 666 HL
Reply 43
Original post by homicidalwaffle
Conditional offer for Politics! 38 IB points and 666 HL

Congrats! I wish you luck in your studies.
Has anyone got summer school as a condition? I may get this as a condition if I get an offer for History/Politics, but I cannot attend because I am in Northern Peru on a World Challenge. Does this mean I won't get adjusted grades even though I am in a priority postcode?
Got an unconditional for Politics a few days after I sent off my UCAS last month. (Scottish Resident Fee Status)
Course applying for: Sociology and Politics (second year entry)
Predicted/achieved grades: A*A*A*AA (on a gap year so achieved)
Current offer status: Unconditional offer
What made you apply?: Glasgow is my favourite city.
Original post by hysterria
Anyone else attended the open day?

I absolutely loved it :biggrin:

I was there! The open day is the No. 1 reason why I am now struggling between Imperial College London (if I get an offer) and Glasgow. Before the open day I was 90% sure I'd choose Imperial but now Glasgow is much more attractive...
Anyway point is I loved it and I can actually picture me studying there next year, plus its biomedical engineering course looks quite good!
What will you study? Where are you from?

What surprised me on the open day was that everyone seemed so young, like 15-16 years old while I'm 17. Why is that? How old are you btw?
Original post by alpegu006
I was there! The open day is the No. 1 reason why I am now struggling between Imperial College London (if I get an offer) and Glasgow. Before the open day I was 90% sure I'd choose Imperial but now Glasgow is much more attractive...
Anyway point is I loved it and I can actually picture me studying there next year, plus its biomedical engineering course looks quite good!
What will you study? Where are you from?

What surprised me on the open day was that everyone seemed so young, like 15-16 years old while I'm 17. Why is that? How old are you btw?

I want to study History/Politics and I am 16 and will only be 17 when I actually go to university. This is because the age boundaries are different in Scotland. Bit weird there at 15 year olds though... When I was at St.Andrews a 15 year old was with me for some reason which I didn’t like as they can’t go to university hahahaha.
Original post by SocialStudiesETC
I want to study History/Politics and I am 16 and will only be 17 when I actually go to university. This is because the age boundaries are different in Scotland. Bit weird there at 15 year olds though... When I was at St.Andrews a 15 year old was with me for some reason which I didn’t like as they can’t go to university hahahaha.

Is that why there's an extra year at Scottish universities? (4 instead of 3 like in England).
Maybe it was just the impression it gave me and there were actually only 16 and 17-year-olds... It's weird though, starting uni at an age where you can't legally drink (arguably the most common activity at university). How do you think you (and scots in general) will fare?
Is that why there's an extra year at Scottish universities? (4 instead of 3 like in England).
Maybe it was just the impression it gave me and there were actually only 16 and 17-year-olds... It's weird though, starting uni at an age where you can't legally drink (arguably the most common activity at university). How do you think you (and scots in general) will fare?

Fake ID and good chat will probably get me far hahahaha. I’m really looking forward to the social aspect of university as well as the learning, but the experience at Glasgow looks amazing. Yeah I’m sure some people just look younger than their age, bit pointless. Apparently the first year in Scotland is more for finding your feet at university as opposed to academia.
Fake ID and good chat will probably get me far hahahaha. I’m really looking forward to the social aspect of university as well as the learning, but the experience at Glasgow looks amazing. Yeah I’m sure some people just look younger than their age, bit pointless. Apparently the first year in Scotland is more for finding your feet at university as opposed to academia.

Oh, I should have guessed hahaha. I've got an offer for entry into year 2 so I won't really get to test it IF I get the A*A*A they want...
So how come you're in Perú?
Course applying for: Mathematics BSc
Predicted/achieved grades: ABB (plus B for EPQ and A for level 3 Maths)
Current offer status: Application to be sent off end of this week
choices in order: Glasgow, Newcastle, Dundee, Sheffield, Liverpool/Queens Belfast
What made you apply?: The course is amazing! I love the city, the building is beautiful!, decent nightlife, want to live somewhere with a different atmosphere (not surrounded by tories) and I have family in Edinburgh (not a fan of their university)!

Anyone from South East England applying to glasgow???
Oh, I should have guessed hahaha. I've got an offer for entry into year 2 so I won't really get to test it IF I get the A*A*A they want...

Does your offer say 'Start from: Year One' or 'Start from: Year Two'? I applied for year two but mine says year one.

Well done! I just sent my application to my school today so I'm hoping they send it away very soon. I'm applying for year one entry, how old are you? I'm in Northern Peru backpacking for one month and I'm trekking the Andes when there as well as destroying turtle traps and community DIY. Really excited for it, will be an experience that's for sure.
Original post by patrickwahins
Does your offer say 'Start from: Year One' or 'Start from: Year Two'? I applied for year two but mine says year one.

It says start from year 2. If you didn't meet the entry requirements for year 2 (usually as high as top Russel Group unis for each course) or your course doesn't allow for second year entry due to necessary modules in year 1, they automatically consider you for first year entry.

Plus, if you're doing a BEng or similar (no Masters) you might have been accepted for faster route, doing the BEng in 3 years rather than 2.
What course did you apply to?
Well done! I just sent my application to my school today so I'm hoping they send it away very soon. I'm applying for year one entry, how old are you? I'm in Northern Peru backpacking for one month and I'm trekking the Andes when there as well as destroying turtle traps and community DIY. Really excited for it, will be an experience that's for sure.

Wow! That's awesome! I'm hoping to save up while at uni or soon afterwards to take a gap year in South America, from the Colombian Caribbean to Ushuaia at the end of the world!

I'm in Spain taking the British curriculum (I'm Spanish though) so I'll be 18 (only just) when I start uni. I only found out about year 2 entry some days before sending the application and since I had the predicted grades for it, I gave it a shot!
Wow! That's awesome! I'm hoping to save up while at uni or soon afterwards to take a gap year in South America, from the Colombian Caribbean to Ushuaia at the end of the world!

I'm in Spain taking the British curriculum (I'm Spanish though) so I'll be 18 (only just) when I start uni. I only found out about year 2 entry some days before sending the application and since I had the predicted grades for it, I gave it a shot!

That's really cool that you're Spanish and looking to come to Scotland! Did you fly specifically for the open day? That's dedication.
That's really cool that you're Spanish and looking to come to Scotland! Did you fly specifically for the open day? That's dedication.

Well I LOVE travelling so it was actually an amazing excuse to go on a small holiday hahahaha Glasgow is a beautiful city and so is its university, so it wasn't hard to convince my parents, who would rather I go to Glasgow than Imperial (no fees in Scotland)
(edited 6 years ago)
It says start from year 2. If you didn't meet the entry requirements for year 2 (usually as high as top Russel Group unis for each course) or your course doesn't allow for second year entry due to necessary modules in year 1, they automatically consider you for first year entry.

Plus, if you're doing a BEng or similar (no Masters) you might have been accepted for faster route, doing the BEng in 3 years rather than 2.
What course did you apply to?

Thanks, I don't really understand the Scottish system.

Sociology and Politics and the requirements for advanced entry are A*A*A* which I got.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending