The Student Room Group

Any advice for learning guitar?

I have been wanting to learn guitar for a while now. I'm just not sure of the best way to do it. Anyone able to give any advice? I search up the chords, find they're too difficult and then quit. Ideally trying to learn by myself rather than taking lessons.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Start with the open chords and just plod through them, one after the other. Dull, but gets your fingers working to remember the shapes. Once you're comfortable with some open chord shapes, you can work them into songs. You can play shedloads of songs with just 3 or 4 open chords.

After that it's about how far you want to go. If that's all you want to do, great. But starting to look at scales and how they relate to chords and to each other would eventually be useful (I've never much bothered with scales, I only know 3!).
Reply 2
Original post by gjd800
Start with the open chords and just plod through them, one after the other. Dull, but gets your fingers working to remember the shapes. Once you're comfortable with some open chord shapes, you can work them into songs. You can play shedloads of songs with just 3 or 4 open chords.

After that it's about how far you want to go. If that's all you want to do, great. But starting to look at scales and how they relate to chords and to each other would eventually be useful (I've never much bothered with scales, I only know 3!).

Yeah, I think I should try doing that. I believe my problem is that I aim too far and disappoint myself when I fail. I wanted to play full songs as soon as I got my guitar and that's not going to happen for some time.
Also, thanks for the advice!
Reply 3
You'll be able to play some basic ones after a few days if you gtive yourself half an hour/and hour a day of just getting through some basic chords.

If you've not already seen it, try out justinguitar.com for basic lessons. he's really good and his lessons are great for beginners.
Reply 4
Original post by gjd800
You'll be able to play some basic ones after a few days if you gtive yourself half an hour/and hour a day of just getting through some basic chords.

If you've not already seen it, try out justinguitar.com for basic lessons. he's really good and his lessons are great for beginners.

Ooh thank you, not heard of that one, I'll have to check it out.
Set yourself a target - what do you want to be able to do?
Reply 6
Original post by Manitude
Set yourself a target - what do you want to be able to do?

Yeah, should probably build up targets - start small. I'd love to be able to just pick up a guitar and be able to play my favourite songs.
Your fingers on you fretting hand will hurt in the beginning and they could blister (dont want to put you off playing) depending on a long you are playing. Learn music the you like and enjoy. Put the hard work in and in the end the hard work will pay off.
Just start playing, look up easy tutorials for songs you enjoy, learn all the basic open chords and once you're ready move onto more complex things. Barre chords are a pain for some people but just stick with it and practice the techniques. Don't expect to be an expert after a month or two. You have to not enjoy the process of learning and watching yourself develop. Really immerse yourself in the whole experience and eventually you'll get to the point where it becomes second nature and you don't even have to think about playing, you become an observer of yourself creating music. Also don't be afraid to dip your feet in some theory too, you'd be surprised how much theory helps with your playing.
Reply 9
Original post by TheDevil
Your fingers on you fretting hand will hurt in the beginning and they could blister (dont want to put you off playing) depending on a long you are playing. Learn music the you like and enjoy. Put the hard work in and in the end the hard work will pay off.

Yeah, I've heard that. Been playing whenever and my fingers aren't suffering yet (luckily). As for the hard work, I agree completely :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by omacmano98
Just start playing, look up easy tutorials for songs you enjoy, learn all the basic open chords and once you're ready move onto more complex things. Barre chords are a pain for some people but just stick with it and practice the techniques. Don't expect to be an expert after a month or two. You have to not enjoy the process of learning and watching yourself develop. Really immerse yourself in the whole experience and eventually you'll get to the point where it becomes second nature and you don't even have to think about playing, you become an observer of yourself creating music. Also don't be afraid to dip your feet in some theory too, you'd be surprised how much theory helps with your playing.

The songs I enjoy seem to only have super complex tutorials, which I guess is the problem I'm having. I don't like learning songs that I don't know. I've learnt a few chords, struggling with ones like F though. I seem to struggle mostly with timing and keeping up with songs.
Original post by Cynnr
The songs I enjoy seem to only have super complex tutorials, which I guess is the problem I'm having. I don't like learning songs that I don't know. I've learnt a few chords, struggling with ones like F though. I seem to struggle mostly with timing and keeping up with songs.

There are a lot of simplified versions of songs out there if you look for them. I would recommend an app called Ultimate Guitar Chords, it has multiple versions of almost every song ever, some very easy and some a bit more complex. It shows you charts for every chord and different ways to play each chord. I paid for the full version to get the extra features, you can still use it for free although I would recommend the full version.

A real beginner way to do the F Major chord is First finger on the 1sr Fret of the B, Second Finger on the 2nd Fret of the G and 3rd Finger on the 3rd Fret of the D. Its almost like the C Major shape just the 2nd and 3rd fingers move down one string. The app I mentioned can tell you more things like this, easier ways to do harder chords. Although eventually you will have to learn the harder shapes so don't put it off for too long.
I am also trying to learn guitar. Though I didn't admit into any class or hired a expert one. I would like to learn myself. What's the best way to learn?
Reply 13
Original post by omacmano98
There are a lot of simplified versions of songs out there if you look for them. I would recommend an app called Ultimate Guitar Chords, it has multiple versions of almost every song ever, some very easy and some a bit more complex. It shows you charts for every chord and different ways to play each chord. I paid for the full version to get the extra features, you can still use it for free although I would recommend the full version.

A real beginner way to do the F Major chord is First finger on the 1sr Fret of the B, Second Finger on the 2nd Fret of the G and 3rd Finger on the 3rd Fret of the D. Its almost like the C Major shape just the 2nd and 3rd fingers move down one string. The app I mentioned can tell you more things like this, easier ways to do harder chords. Although eventually you will have to learn the harder shapes so don't put it off for too long.

Awesome! I’ll check it out. Thank you, very helpful :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Reveldo99
I am also trying to learn guitar. Though I didn't admit into any class or hired a expert one. I would like to learn myself. What's the best way to learn?

I’m doing that too, read some of the posts on this thread, they’re very helpful. I find YouTube videos helpful and apps are helpful too, it’s just finding the right ones. Good luck though!
Reply 15
Use online tutorials, maybe books, and you could just watch other guitarists play and see how they do stuff - helped me learn how to bend properly.
I pretty much taught myself, using the internet mainly because there is so much out there, just get the basics and find what you want to learn, watch tutorials and I'm sure you'll get there.

as for chords:

Maybe leave it a while, I got sick of trying to learn chords to the point I stopped playing for about 2 weeks. Then I was listening to some rock and I just decided I wanted to nail some chords and found it much easier, the problem is getting frustrated with learning. It doesn't happen instantly, or overnight, it takes time and practice, just chill. When you feel frustrated go back to what you know for a bit (a song you learnt or something) and you'll feel better.
Reply 16
Original post by Max217
Use online tutorials, maybe books, and you could just watch other guitarists play and see how they do stuff - helped me learn how to bend properly.
I pretty much taught myself, using the internet mainly because there is so much out there, just get the basics and find what you want to learn, watch tutorials and I'm sure you'll get there.

as for chords:

Maybe leave it a while, I got sick of trying to learn chords to the point I stopped playing for about 2 weeks. Then I was listening to some rock and I just decided I wanted to nail some chords and found it much easier, the problem is getting frustrated with learning. It doesn't happen instantly, or overnight, it takes time and practice, just chill. When you feel frustrated go back to what you know for a bit (a song you learnt or something) and you'll feel better.

Great, thanks for the advice! I do find it easier to watch how others do it, which is why YouTube is great. How long would you say it took you to learn fully? I'm getting better gradually.
Reply 17
Original post by Cynnr
Great, thanks for the advice! I do find it easier to watch how others do it, which is why YouTube is great. How long would you say it took you to learn fully? I'm getting better gradually.

I don't think you ever learn fully!
Well I definitely haven't yet anyway!
I suppose having played for 2 years then not picking it up for 4 I forgot everything I learnt.
I've played about 2 years straight now, almost every day about 2 hours a day.
I think your ability will always improve the more you play but as long as you are happy it doesn't really matter what stage you're at because you'll get better - I find it always helps me de stress and relieve pressure from workloads or maybe reduce anxiety when I'm waiting to hear back from an interview(I'm not great at waiting for feedback :biggrin:).
Original post by Cynnr
Yeah, should probably build up targets - start small. I'd love to be able to just pick up a guitar and be able to play my favourite songs.

What those songs are will influence what you want to learn. I'm currently learning this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FVAQQujgSxQ

So, little need for traditional chords, lot of need to learn economy and alternate picking (can't do constant 16ths at 190+ bpm all in downs). So, what soet of music do you want to play? And rhythm or lead?
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
What those songs are will influence what you want to learn. I'm currently learning this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FVAQQujgSxQ

So, little need for traditional chords, lot of need to learn economy and alternate picking (can't do constant 16ths at 190+ bpm all in downs). So, what soet of music do you want to play? And rhythm or lead?

Ooh, nice, I had no idea you were into amon amarth :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest