The Student Room Group

Do i need to buy a new calculator?

So I'm doing Edexcel AS -Level Maths (2017 SPECIFICATION) and plan to continue to A-Level maths for definite (by the grace of God). Currently I'm using my GCSE calculator Casio FX ~ 83GT PLUS, and i asked my teacher if we need a new one. He said we don't need a new one but I don't know if he means for just AS, because i meant for both years - both AS AND A-Level. People from my old school had to buy calculators but it could be because theyre doing a different course altogether (ocr mei), they have the Casio FX - 991EX . It's obviously better if i get the new calculator now as i could get more practice with it, but im not sure as to whether or not we might need it? (because isn't a- level maths supposed to be harder and thus require better equipment?)
(edited 6 years ago)
i do the same spec and yeah you do need it, youll need it for stats cause we dont have the tables written in the exam paper anymore and the new calculator generates the tables for you.
Original post by annagvozdenovic
i do the same spec and yeah you do need it, youll need it for stats cause we dont have the tables written in the exam paper anymore and the new calculator generates the tables for you.

are you on about the cumulative binomial tables?
Original post by Uranium Potato
are you on about the cumulative binomial tables?

yeah, the new calculator generates those for you
Original post by annagvozdenovic
yeah, the new calculator generates those for you

that's cool but the exam does give the tables i just checked on their website (edexcel)
Reply 5
The Casio classwiz is nice, even though the Casio FX ~ 83GT PLUS should be fine.
Original post by Uranium Potato
that's cool but the exam does give the tables i just checked on their website (edexcel)

not sure then, just going off what my sixth form told me :smile:
How much are you willing to spend?

I've just finished edexcel as maths and further maths and am continuing with both subjects this year. I got a very high A in both these subjects last year and the calculator I used really helped. So much so my 6th form college actually tells every student to go and buy one.

I have the casio fx9860 Gii and it is great. You can check a huge amount of answers with it in the exam which comes in very handy. I've linked the spec below for you to have a look at. It may seem expensive, but it is very much worth it in the end.

http://www.casio.com/products/calculators/graphing/fx-9860gii

Quick Reply

Latest