The Student Room Group

CfE Higher Chemistry 2017/18

CfE HIGHER CHEMISTRY 2017/18

Hello everyone!

Welcome to the Higher Chemistry thread. This is a thread for those who are studying Higher Chemistry for the term of 2017/18. You are welcomed to use this thread to discuss and ask questions on different aspects of the course and also suggest difference resources. Anyone who had previously studied the course would also be more than welcome to provide any help or advice as well as sharing their experience of the subject as a whole.

So who's studying this course this year?

Scroll to see replies

Me! :smile:
So far I am completely confused! It's so different from National 5
Can Anyone Help With This Question -
The Volume of 0.22g of propene is 118cm^3. Calculate the volume of 2 moles of propene.
I got 22.527 litres
Original post by scottishguyy
I got 48 litres.

n=v/MV
n= 0.118/24
n=4.9x10-3moles

Then went with proportion, so:

4.9x10-3 moles gives you 118cm3 as told in the question.
So 2 moles gives you 48000cm3.

I'd say Higher is far easier than Nat5 don't worry!

Where did you get the 24 from?
neeed.PNG need help and how to do it
Original post by ayeeyaboiii
neeed.PNG need help and how to do it

I think it's A.

H2SO4: NaOH
ratio 1:2 in balanced equation

NaOH concentration is 0.4M
so H2SO4 concentration is 0.2M

calculate moles of H2SO4:
n=cv
n=0.1 x 0.05 (convert 50mL to litres gets you 0.05)
n=0.005 mol

v=n/c
v=0.005 mol/0.2M
v=0.025L =25mL
I have 2 chem teachers, neither of which I’m particularly keen on. They can teaching the course in a funny order and don’t explain things at all. I’m worried because I need an A in the subject this year and don’t know if I can do it. I’m fairly good at independent studying but it’s hard to learn the course that way
Original post by meganmac_x
I have 2 chem teachers, neither of which I’m particularly keen on. They can teaching the course in a funny order and don’t explain things at all. I’m worried because I need an A in the subject this year and don’t know if I can do it. I’m fairly good at independent studying but it’s hard to learn the course that way

I had this for my AH course, it may seem disjointed at first but if you are as good at independent study as you say it shouldn't be too hard to come up with a way to divide the course into each topic and go over it systematically like that. Surely the 2 teachers are not just teaching the same unit randomly, there will be some sort of thought out plan to it! Are the 2 teachers teaching 2 separate units? or 2 separate topics?
Hey thanks for replying! One of them is teaching unit 2 and the other unit 3 (we’ve already learnt unit 1). It’s just a bit stressful as I essentially have double the workload to keep on top of. As well as the actual classes, they aren’t very good at explaining things. For example, we did an experiment where potassium dichromate was added to a primary, secondary, and tertiary alcohol and the teacher didn’t explain why we were doing it or the chemistry behind the reaction. Sorry I’m going off on a rant😂😂
Hey thanks for replying! One of them is teaching unit 2 and the other unit 3 (we’ve already learnt unit 1). It’s just a bit stressful as I essentially have double the workload to keep on top of. As well as the actual classes, they aren’t very good at explaining things. For example, we did an experiment where potassium dichromate was added to a primary, secondary, and tertiary alcohol and the teacher didn’t explain why we were doing it or the chemistry behind the reaction. Sorry I’m going off on a rant😂😂

Do you have access to scholar? Theres great notes on there
Reply 12

My chem teacher is the most pointless **** ever, basically teach the course yourself
If anyone is interested I've got higher chemistry past papers from 1990 to 2002, drop me a pm if you're interested :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Nessie162
If anyone is interested I've got higher chemistry past papers from 1990 to 2002, drop me a pm if you're interested :smile:

Sorry, I’ve just found this page, do you still have these papers?
Original post by ij01
Sorry, I’ve just found this page, do you still have these papers?

Yeah, just pm me your email
See for the exam if 90/120 is required for an A does this mean that a total of 30 marks can be lost in both assignment and the paper? Does each mark in the paper contribute 1/120?
Original post by Alishaali
See for the exam if 90/120 is required for an A does this mean that a total of 30 marks can be lost in both assignment and the paper? Does each mark in the paper contribute 1/120?

a total of 30 marks can be lost since the paper is actually only out of 100 and the other 20 marks come from the assignment :smile:
Help... they all just sound true
Q. Which property of a chloride would prove that it contained ionic bonding?
A. It conducts electricity when molten.
B. It is soluble in a polar solvent.
C. It is a solid at room temperature.
D. It has a high boiling point
Original post by rittyt22
Help... they all just sound true
Q. Which property of a chloride would prove that it contained ionic bonding?
A. It conducts electricity when molten.
B. It is soluble in a polar solvent.
C. It is a solid at room temperature.
D. It has a high boiling point

They all sound true because most chlorides with ionic bonding do have those properties (high melting and boiling points, solubility in polar solvents, etc.) but the only one that proves it is ionic is A.

B - Polar covalent molecules have this property
C - Covalent networks have this property too
D - Covalent networks again

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending