The Student Room Group

Nursing/Healthcare Professionals and their lifestyle

Hello

I am currently struggling with maintaining personal goals while working a shift pattern. I 'm a full time nursing student and find that each time I go on placement my personal goals of going to the gym and running are much more difficult to maintain compared to when I am at uni. I end up going off track and don't have the energy to go and exercise. I have tried but never feel the energy to give it 100% and the quality of my workouts is not as good. Trying to maintain an adequate and healthy diet is also challenging.
Even though I sometimes have 4 days off per week it feels like I spend that time recovering from those shifts, with night shifts thrown in to the mix it makes it all the more difficult as these leave me feeling even more tired. Are there healthcare professionals out there or others who work 12.5 hour day & night shifts who succeed in having a decent gym/exercise routine as well? I'd love to get some advice from you!

Prior to placement I exercised 5 days per week but I no longer achieve this.
Sleep is essential. If you're not getting enough sleep, it will be exceedingly hard to have a 'decent gym/exercise routine'.
Sounds like you are a little bit burnt out from the shifts you're doing. Switching from nights and days and back again thrown in the mix will not help either.
Are you aware of how much exercise you are doing just by working?
I know that most of my 12.5 hour shifts I clock up at least 15,000 steps.
Try to learn your energy output and caloric intake and make sure things are balanced.
Reply 2
Original post by MarkAdHoc
Sleep is essential. If you're not getting enough sleep, it will be exceedingly hard to have a 'decent gym/exercise routine'.
Sounds like you are a little bit burnt out from the shifts you're doing. Switching from nights and days and back again thrown in the mix will not help either.
Are you aware of how much exercise you are doing just by working?
I know that most of my 12.5 hour shifts I clock up at least 15,000 steps.
Try to learn your energy output and caloric intake and make sure things are balanced.

Yes, I am aware of the amount of exercise I do while at work but this is not the same as going to the gym or for a run. These are hobbies I enjoy but am currently failing to maintain alongside placement. I wouldn't consider going to the gym before/after a 12.5hr shift but in general it is a challenge. As for eating well, 2 breaks in 12.5hr shift is another challenge but I guess it is possible. Thanks.
If you've not got the time to eat well whilst on shift, try to make sure to drink a lot of water.
You can still eat well before and after your shift. :smile:
Reply 4
ldgod
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Hi dougyb95

Thanks for your reply. Nice to know someone else out there is on the same page as I am. You are right about being organised and it is definitely key to being successful with this. In a previous life I was much more organised and managed things a hell of a lot easier. It just completely fell apart when I started placement and I can see a lot of nurses who put themselves through bad lifestyle choices all because of the nature of the job. We as nurses need to take better care of ourselves. Good luck with your first placement, I'd be interested to know how you find it and how your food & gym routine work out.
is this reality for future student nurses
Reply 7
Original post by Blackstarr
is this reality for future student nurses

Hi Blackstarr

Are you a prospective student applying to study nursing? If so then your future may potentially sound a little like what I described. But this is just my view and not everybody may feel like this.I would describe myself as very health conscious and really enjoy keeping fit and eating frequently and healthily, for me it is a priority and so I find the nursing lifestyle disrupts this. Nursing and many other healthcare professions are very challenging roles. Nursing is not a 9-5 job (well it can be if you choose outpatients for example) but by and large nursing care is 24/7 and this means working both day and night shifts, 12.5/13 hours long. Of course this has implications on your life outside of work, some people like this type of shift patter, others not as much. Nursing can be a very fulfilling career, my only advice wold be to get as much experience as a HCA to give you a better understanding of what it may be like and work those long days and nights and see if it is something you enjoy or not. You may love it but you won't know until you try. Better to try now as a HCA before forking out 9k/year for your nurse training.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by rescueme
Hi Blackstarr

Are you a prospective student applying to study nursing? If so then your future may potentially sound a little like what I described. But this is just my view and not everybody may feel like this.I would describe myself as very health conscious and really enjoy keeping fit and eating frequently and healthily, for me it is a priority and so I find the nursing lifestyle disrupts this. Nursing and many other healthcare professions are very challenging roles. Nursing is not a 9-5 job (well it can be if you choose outpatients for example) but by and large nursing care is 24/7 and this means working both day and night shifts, 12.5/13 hours long. Of course this has implications on your life outside of work, some people like this type of shift patter, others not as much. Nursing can be a very fulfilling career, my only advice wold be to get as much experience as a HCA to give you a better understanding of what it may be like and work those long days and nights and see if it is something you enjoy or not. You may love it but you won't know until you try. Better to try now as a HCA before forking out 9k/year for your nurse training.

I am actually a domiciliary care assistant and yeah, i sort of have an understanding because sometimes there are not enough staff so i have to cover, other times i have to get to a clients house at 7:30 am and get back home late.

The one thing that bothers me about nursing which you mentioned is the hours. The fact that you have to be up and about 24/7 for 12 hours including night shits and weekends etc. I feel like the above is my only turn off.
Reply 9
Original post by Blackstarr
I am actually a domiciliary care assistant and yeah, i sort of have an understanding because sometimes there are not enough staff so i have to cover, other times i have to get to a clients house at 7:30 am and get back home late.

The one thing that bothers me about nursing which you mentioned is the hours. The fact that you have to be up and about 24/7 for 12 hours including night shits and weekends etc. I feel like the above is my only turn off.

It is a great thing that you have gained experience as a care assistant and you are getting a true insight to this field of work. Having this experience will help you make a decision as to whether nursing is a good career choice for you or not. I would think carefully before applying for a university place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending