The Student Room Group

Anyone else having problems with Primark/New Looks sizing?

Here I am unable to barely fit anything in both of those stores once again. I'm 5ft 3 and weigh 7st 4. My measurements are 31-25-32.5 and yet I can't fit a UK Size 6 or Size 8 in New Look. In Primark I can only fit the odd size 6/8 but most are far too small. I can only fit size 10 in New Look. How can I be a UK Size 10 at this weight and with these measurements? Anyone else finding their sizing way too small?

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM:

Official New Look Size Guide

Official Primark Size Guide

15% off all New Look orders here: https://www.newlook.com/uk/discount-...rewardcarddist
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Sizing varies at all clothes shops - usually the cheaper shops are smaller and more expensive places like whistles or jaeger etc are a lot more generous and the rest like Topshop fit somewhere in between

Just try a few things on and figure out what your size is at each shop and you should be fine
I think the exact opposite of primark clothing. I feel that primark have made their clothes larger. For example I used to buy size 8 and 10 clothes when I was 13 but now they are huge on me so I have to buy their new size 4 clothes and 6. And I’ve obviously gained weight as I’m 16 now. I’m 5ft 1 and weigh 5 stone 9 pounds.
Original post by Anonymous
I think the exact opposite of primark clothing. I feel that primark have made their clothes larger. For example I used to buy size 8 and 10 clothes when I was 13 but now they are huge on me so I have to buy their new size 4 clothes and 6. And I’ve obviously gained weight as I’m 16 now. I’m 5ft 1 and weigh 5 stone 9 pounds.

You're only 5 stone and 9 pounds :O no wonder size 8 is too big. You sound way smaller than a size 4/6 tbh.
Original post by Dr. Spëghnks
Sizing varies at all clothes shops - usually the cheaper shops are smaller and more expensive places like whistles or jaeger etc are a lot more generous and the rest like Topshop fit somewhere in between

Just try a few things on and figure out what your size is at each shop and you should be fine

I don't have many shops in my town and am on a tight budget unfortunately. Most shops in my town size the same so I can't really fit clothes anywhere now :frown:
I never focus on the label, I just take my usual(ish) size into the fitting room and decide from there. I literally have clothes ranging from a 10 to a 16 and I'm usually a 12//14
No I think that Primark and New Look clothes are too big most of the time!
Original post by MetalTill_IDie
I don't have many shops in my town and am on a tight budget unfortunately. Most shops in my town size the same so I can't really fit clothes anywhere now :frown:

But you can buy stuff in a size 10 or 12 instead

And buying stuff at asos is a good option, the delivery is quick and returns are free!
New Look’s sizing is rubbish and as for Primark I tend to work on the principle of whatever their size is is really the size below. For example, in Primark I wear a size 20 (don’t judge me please- 13 weeks ago I was a size 24!) but elsewhere I wear a size 18. I haven’t bought anything from New Look recently but the last thing I bought was a jumper which is a 16-18 and that’s about a true fit but most of their sizing is awful.
Original post by iElvendork
I never focus on the label, I just take my usual(ish) size into the fitting room and decide from there. I literally have clothes ranging from a 10 to a 16 and I'm usually a 12//14

I'm obsessed with sizes and don't like to own all different sizes. It makes it difficult for me to not focus on sizes.
Original post by glitterbows
No I think that Primark and New Look clothes are too big most of the time!

Lucky you lol.
But you can buy stuff in a size 10 or 12 instead

And buying stuff at asos is a good option, the delivery is quick and returns are free!

That's not an option, as I refuse to buy clothes in a bigger size or I feel very unhappy. I haven't lost all this weight for nothing. Funnily enough when I was a size 10 I could fit a size 10 in Primark. Primark have clearly changed their sizing as not long ago they were oversizing to the point I could fit a few size 4's in there. Now I can't even fit my own size and if I can get into it then it's a tight squeeze. Is ASOS accurate for sizing?
Original post by princessmaire80
New Look’s sizing is rubbish and as for Primark I tend to work on the principle of whatever their size is is really the size below. For example, in Primark I wear a size 20 (don’t judge me please- 13 weeks ago I was a size 24!) but elsewhere I wear a size 18. I haven’t bought anything from New Look recently but the last thing I bought was a jumper which is a 16-18 and that’s about a true fit but most of their sizing is awful.

That's so true, I hate how off their sizing is. Congratulations on the weight loss! I used to be a size 22 so I'd never judge. Losing weight isn't easy and when shops are undersizing it feels like the hard work has gone to waste.
That's not an option, as I refuse to buy clothes in a bigger size or I feel very unhappy. I haven't lost all this weight for nothing. Funnily enough when I was a size 10 I could fit a size 10 in Primark. Primark have clearly changed their sizing as not long ago they were oversizing to the point I could fit a few size 4's in there. Now I can't even fit my own size and if I can get into it then it's a tight squeeze. Is ASOS accurate for sizing?

I think you should see a therapist
I find in both stores I pick up a load of clothes to try on and they just don't fit right. I find that topshop fits me better. But it depends on lots of factors like material ect
I think you should see a therapist

I don't think that's necessary tbh.
Original post by Beccajane2
I find in both stores I pick up a load of clothes to try on and they just don't fit right. I find that topshop fits me better. But it depends on lots of factors like material ect

I still haven't tried Topshop yet as they're expensive. I was recommended trying there though as their sizing is better.
No as i don't shop there.
I still haven't tried Topshop yet as they're expensive. I was recommended trying there though as their sizing is better.

Yeah I would say they are more expensive overall. For me a few pieces that fit well is worth it even if they are more expensive. But I would say some of their t-shirts can be on level price wise with New Look. And they do do student discount. I would suggest looking at shopping at some different places like H
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Beccajane2
Yeah I would say they are more expensive overall. For me a few pieces that fit well is worth it even if they are more expensive. But I would say some of their t-shirts can be on level price wise with New Look. And they do do student discount. I would suggest looking at shopping at some different places like H

I'd have to save up to go to Topshop, but it is worth it to have well fitting clothes. Do you mean H&M?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending