The Student Room Group

EmilySarah00’s 2017/18 struggle to University (A*AA)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 04MR17
I've seen a lot of these the last couple of years. This one excites me.:smile:

You're too kind! :hugs:
I'm so glad I've found someone in the same boat as me! Seeing everyone posting their 80+ MAT scores on that MAT prep thread is making me terrified - I've been getting around the 50s too and I've been trying to cram all the papers in as I only starting doing full papers in the middle of half term :s-smilie: Jealous you get to do Q6 (they're my favourite type of mathsy questions non A-Level related ksifdh) - I'd rather do that one than the horrible Q4s >.< Still have 2013+ to do aughhh why did I leave them so late???
Original post by gcsemusicsucks
I'm so glad I've found someone in the same boat as me! Seeing everyone posting their 80+ MAT scores on that MAT prep thread is making me terrified - I've been getting around the 50s too and I've been trying to cram all the papers in as I only starting doing full papers in the middle of half term :s-smilie: Jealous you get to do Q6 (they're my favourite type of mathsy questions non A-Level related ksifdh) - I'd rather do that one than the horrible Q4s >.< Still have 2013+ to do aughhh why did I leave them so late???

Oh my gosh yay! Nice to find a fellow MAT struggler. Honestly I'm avoiding that thread as much as possible (unless I need help) because it dampens my mood seeing their amazingly high scores!

Q6 is admittedly my favourite question, it's about the only one I can rely on for a good amount of marks so if even that goes pear shaped on the day I might cry! Not envious of you, Q4 looks like no fun (Q3 is my least favourite out of the ones I do.)

Good luck getting all the papers done! I've been doing one a day all half term and I still have 3 left and 3 days to do them :cry:

I wish you the best on Thursday! :heart:

PS: GCSE Music did really suck, I'm with you there too! :laugh:
I'm really liking the thread, I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and Physics in Year 12 so I'm considering options for next year. I'm hoping to take Maths with Computer Science as well, what made you choose Oxford over Cambridge?
Original post by AmmarTa
I'm really liking the thread, I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and Physics in Year 12 so I'm considering options for next year. I'm hoping to take Maths with Computer Science as well, what made you choose Oxford over Cambridge?

Thank you! :grin:
I'm liking the subject choices very much :wink: Great minds think alike! I chose Oxford over Cambridge because I fell in love with the college at Oxford (LMH) although I am aware I probably won't get in :laugh: I really love Cambridge as well though so it was a close call when it came to deciding!
I'm honestly loving this thread, keep it up! :biggrin:

I'm in year 12 right now taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Biology. I really want to study computer science at university, ideally I'd love to be able to study it at Cambridge but I'm not sure I'd be able to get in. I have a really bad problem with not staying motivated, I find it so so hard to get things done any sooner than a day before it's due, and I know fully well that this is a terrible habit but I just can't break out of it. It seems from what I've read that you're fairly motivated, and so was wondering if you had any tips about that.

Best of luck for your MAT, I'm sure you'll smash it!!
Original post by EmilySarah00
Thank you! :grin:
I'm liking the subject choices very much :wink: Great minds think alike! I chose Oxford over Cambridge because I fell in love with the college at Oxford (LMH) although I am aware I probably won't get in :laugh: I really love Cambridge as well though so it was a close call when it came to deciding!

Oh alright, that's understandable but I wouldn't give up just yet. You've still got a decent fighting chance of getting in; if great minds think alike then I hope you do get in because I'm aiming for the stars too :smile:
Original post by agaaga1010
I'm honestly loving this thread, keep it up! :biggrin:

I'm in year 12 right now taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Biology. I really want to study computer science at university, ideally I'd love to be able to study it at Cambridge but I'm not sure I'd be able to get in. I have a really bad problem with not staying motivated, I find it so so hard to get things done any sooner than a day before it's due, and I know fully well that this is a terrible habit but I just can't break out of it. It seems from what I've read that you're fairly motivated, and so was wondering if you had any tips about that.

Best of luck for your MAT, I'm sure you'll smash it!!

Thanking youuu! :groovy:

I doubt Cambridge is out of your reach. If you want something then I say go for it, what do you have to lose?! As for my motivation, stress is the thing that keeps me going, if I didn't worry about things so much I don't think I'd do anywhere near as much work! :laugh: Also this thread is keeping me on my toes as well because what more motivates you to work than knowing you have to write an update about what you've done at the end of each day :rofl:

Just always try to think about the end goal to try and push yourself to get motivated! And thanks again, I'll need all the luck I can get! :woo:
Original post by AmmarTa
Oh alright, that's understandable but I wouldn't give up just yet. You've still got a decent fighting chance of getting in; if great minds think alike then I hope you do get in because I'm aiming for the stars too :smile:

I'm of course trying my best but setting myself up for rejection then anything more than that is a bonus! :giggle:

I wish you all the best, I'm sure you've got your goals in the bag! :grin:
Thanking youuu! :groovy:

I doubt Cambridge is out of your reach. If you want something then I say go for it, what do you have to lose?! As for my motivation, stress is the thing that keeps me going, if I didn't worry about things so much I don't think I'd do anywhere near as much work! :laugh: Also this thread is keeping me on my toes as well because what more motivates you to work than knowing you have to write an update about what you've done at the end of each day :rofl:

Just always try to think about the end goal to try and push yourself to get motivated! And thanks again, I'll need all the luck I can get! :woo:

I think I'll try my best this term to be more productive, it's almost like a clean slate after all.

I'd love it if you could tag me so that hopefully I'll be motivated to do some work.
Original post by agaaga1010
I think I'll try my best this term to be more productive, it's almost like a clean slate after all.

I'd love it if you could tag me so that hopefully I'll be motivated to do some work.

Woohoo! I believe in you

And will do! Adding you to the tag list now :lol:
Oh my gosh yay! Nice to find a fellow MAT struggler. Honestly I'm avoiding that thread as much as possible (unless I need help) because it dampens my mood seeing their amazingly high scores!

Q6 is admittedly my favourite question, it's about the only one I can rely on for a good amount of marks so if even that goes pear shaped on the day I might cry! Not envious of you, Q4 looks like no fun (Q3 is my least favourite out of the ones I do.)

Good luck getting all the papers done! I've been doing one a day all half term and I still have 3 left and 3 days to do them :cry:

I wish you the best on Thursday! :heart:

PS: GCSE Music did really suck, I'm with you there too! :laugh:

Ahhh I know right? Thank you I'll definitely need it >-< Not long left ahhh! I wish you the best too! (lool I'm glad someone else agrees xD)
Woohoo! I believe in you

And will do! Adding you to the tag list now :lol:

Hey there, I was just chilling on the GYG section of TSR to motivate myself at almost 4 am in the morning when I stumbled across this thread, which could potentially be the one to motivate me do some work! Anyways, stupidity aside, you have a great work ethic and have good a2 predictions; hopefully you do get an interview from Oxford at the very least and hopefully an offer! Anyways, excuse the time, could you please tag me so I could keep up with this😅
Original post by zq01
Hey there, I was just chilling on the GYG section of TSR to motivate myself at almost 4 am in the morning when I stumbled across this thread, which could potentially be the one to motivate me do some work! Anyways, stupidity aside, you have a great work ethic and have good a2 predictions; hopefully you do get an interview from Oxford at the very least and hopefully an offer! Anyways, excuse the time, could you please tag me so I could keep up with this😅

Hello! :hi:

TSR at 4AM is a sentence that represents my life at the moment so I can relate there! And thank you very much, an interview is kinda what I'm going for because the whole interview experience sounds super exciting (as well as really nerve wracking! :laugh:) I'm glad you like my thread though, I'll be sure to tag you :h:
University Update - Another Offer Is In!

I was in a mope about MAT revision and then a UCAS Track email took me by surprise. Lancaster offered me AAB for their Computer Science and Maths course! Now all I've got to do is pick between Leeds and Lancaster for my insurance as they both gave me the same offer :woo:

I only have Oxford and Durham left to hear from now! The wait is still on.

-Emily

PS: Today's productivity isn't going well so far but I'll summarise my day later.
(edited 6 years ago)
30/10/17 Update - Bus Bummer :doh::

So, you know yesterday when I said I have college today? Apparently I lied. :rofl: So I woke up at 8AM (after a dire 5 hours of sleep) and got myself ready for college to get a bus at 9. What I didn't realise is that the busses were on strike again today! So after standing at the bus stop for half an hour I realised something was up. I went on my phone to see my friends Snapchat saying the busses weren't coming today. If only I'd opened that an hour sooner! So I made a quick decision against spending 4 hours of my day walking to and from college and headed back home... and back to bed... guilty! :colondollar:

After a quick nap to gain an hour or so of sleep I got up but didn't start working until around midday. I did a MAT paper which took about 4 hours to complete and mark, including a rather long break in the middle for lunch and Netflix! The multiple choice went awfully, I only got 16 marks out of 40 (4/10 questions right) Then ended up with a rather sad score of 44/100 after the lengthy questions.

When trying to recover from that disheartening result I was surprised by an email from UCAS Track informing me of an offer from Lancaster which I've already posted about today. So at least something good came of today! In celebration of my third offer we got a Dominos then I got back to work!

I spent about 2 hours on my Computer Science coursework before getting really fed up of it. For anyone who did D1 in Maths and/or Computer Science who will understand this, I was making a flowchart to represent Dijkstra's algorithm as concisely as possible and it was much more of a challenge than I thought it would be.

So after this very up and down day I'm left with as low hopes for my MAT exam as ever, another university offer, slightly more optimism I'll get my Computer Science coursework section done by next week (I'm trying to be positive here, I promise :laugh:) and 3 more hours of Maths lesson catch-up (hoorah! :woo:)

Back to college again tomorrow... for real this time!
- Emily x

Notification Squad :party:

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)

So, you know yesterday when I said I have college today? Apparently I lied. :rofl: So I woke up at 8AM (after a dire 5 hours of sleep) and got myself ready for college to get a bus at 9. What I didn't realise is that the busses were on strike again today! So after standing at the bus stop for half an hour I realised something was up. I went on my phone to see my friends Snapchat saying the busses weren't coming today. If only I'd opened that an hour sooner! So I made a quick decision against spending 4 hours of my day walking to and from college and headed back home... and back to bed... guilty! :colondollar:

After a quick nap to gain an hour or so of sleep I got up but didn't start working until around midday. I did a MAT paper which took about 4 hours to complete and mark, including a rather long break in the middle for lunch and Netflix! The multiple choice went awfully, I only got 16 marks out of 40 (4/10 questions right) Then ended up with a rather sad score of 44/100 after the lengthy questions.

When trying to recover from that disheartening result I was surprised by an email from UCAS Track informing me of an offer from Lancaster which I've already posted about today. So at least something good came of today! In celebration of my third offer we got a Dominos then I got back to work!

I spent about 2 hours on my Computer Science coursework before getting really fed up of it. For anyone who did D1 in Maths and/or Computer Science who will understand this, I was making a flowchart to represent Dijkstra's algorithm as concisely as possible and it was much more of a challenge than I thought it would be.

So after this very up and down day I'm left with as low hopes for my MAT exam as ever, another university offer, slightly more optimism I'll get my Computer Science coursework section done by next week (I'm trying to be positive here, I promise :laugh:) and 3 more hours of Maths lesson catch-up (hoorah! :woo:)

- Emily x

Spoiler

Hey there, I don’t think the tags worked for this post, maybe you should try again?
Original post by zq01
Hey there, I don’t think the tags worked for this post, maybe you should try again?

Hm, that's a shame, they should do, trying again would more than likely just do the same! Not to worry I'll try an alternative tagging method tomorrow!
30/10/17 Update - Bus Bummer

- Emily x

Spoiler

Congratulations on your Lancaster offer!! I'm so jealous of that Dominos tbh :tongue:

- Emily x

Spoiler

You're pretty much the reason I started a GYG so I thought I'd post it here so you can check it out if you like: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5026918

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending