The Student Room Group

Any tips for PHYSICS revision for GCSE that helped you get an A*?

Hey guys
This question is mainly aimed at those of you who got As and A* in Physics, but do you have any revision tips for physics? My GCSE target grade is a grade 7 (A/B grade) and it's sometimes hard to believe that that's what my teachers expect me to get. In year 9 I was a grade 5, this year in year 10 I HAVE to get a grade 6 or above to stay on target. Any tips?
At the moment I am in year 10, but we started learning our GCSE in year 9 so we had a year extra. Physics is my worst science and we have an end of unit topic. I'm fine with the equations and stuff, but it's understanding certain things that gives me trouble. If I don't understand something it won't stick in my head.
Many thanks xx
Reply 1
Ask zaman
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Nuttyy
Lol I HATED physics.. And it was the only subject I got an A* in.

How did I 'revise'? I didn't. My teacher was sh*t so I was forced to teach myself everything. That's how I got the A* I think.

Well that's helpful (not)
Reply 3
Not sure if this is still applicable but I did my GCSE physics 2 years ago and got an A* by looking at my exam board's most recent specification for physics. It basically has everything you need to know divided by topic and I filled in the gaps in my knowledge with that. But again they may have changed the system.
Reply 4
Original post by Flipurry
Not sure if this is still applicable but I did my GCSE physics 2 years ago and got an A* by looking at my exam board's most recent specification for physics. It basically has everything you need to know divided by topic and I filled in the gaps in my knowledge with that. But again they may have changed the system.

Thanks, that's really helpful. I already do that but thanks anyway.
Just plug numbers into equations and bingo, easiest A* of my life
Dude I hated physics so much at GCSE but ended up with an A* so don't put yourself down just cause you struggle or hate it!

Revision wise I had flashcards for every topic condensing everything to concise notes, just the important bits. Mind maps helped my understand key concepts and make everything visual. I did them in pencil then a day or two before the exam colour coded the important bits to try and stick them in my head. Past papers too! Do as many as you can to get the practice in and learn from your mistakes. Learn what the marks schemes want and how they'll word questions.

I'm sure you'll do great and just think, before long GCSEs will be a distant memory!
Any more questions, just ask.
I did it a year ago, and past papers were invaluable. I hated physics but, with a crap teacher it was a really good way to get concrete practice in. I'm sure they're still mostly applicable to the new spec, and don't forget to mark them because that's the most useful bit
I have the same issue ! my teacher is so shocking ! I'm in year 11 and am really struggling . But I've recently found some good revision websites , take a look ( hope they help ) xx
http://www.passmyexams.co.uk/GCSE/physics/

http://physicsnet.co.uk/gcse-physics/

Quick Reply

Latest