The Student Room Group

Career opportunities with international relations

Will a degree in Poliyics and International relations lead to a career within the UN? Also,can I work in embassies? Do you think it's beneficial to do a masters degree too?
Reply 1
Original post by Maro122
x

Hi! :hello: I am currently a first year International Relations student. Here is what I know and think. :h:

A degree in politics and international relations can indeed lead to a job within the UN and in embassies. it is obviously not the only way in or a sure fire way in, but it is indeed relevant to a career in these institutions. :yes:

Other job possibilities include jobs in the government (e.g. civil servant), marketing, human resources, public relations, charity, NGOs, and political science/international relations research.

Here are two links that list jobs this degree would be useful in. :biggrin:

In my humble opinion, I believe doing a Master's degree would be beneficial in order to stand out. :smile:

Good luck! :hugs:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Michiyo
Hi! :hello: I am currently a first year International Relations student. Here is what I know and think. :h:

A degree in politics and international relations can indeed lead to a job within the UN and in embassies. it is obviously not the only way in or a sure fire way in, but it is indeed relevant to a career in these institutions. :yes:

Other job possibilities include jobs in the government (e.g. civil servant), marketing, human resources, public relations, charity, NGOs, and political science/international relations research.

In my humble opinion, I believe doing a Master's degree would be beneficial in order to stand out. :smile:

Hey m, thanks for your reply! What courses would the masters be preferred in? What about refugee studies? Or security studies/global governance?
Reply 3
Original post by Michiyo

Hi may I ask what inspired you to study international relations?
Reply 4
Original post by Maro122
Hey m, thanks for your reply! What courses would the masters be preferred in? What about refugee studies? Or security studies/global governance?

You are more than welcome :hugs:

Sorry, I do not know the answer to that question! :ashamed2: My best guess is that unless the job specifies a certain Master's degree they prefer, any Master's is fine. :smile: But again, it is just my opinion.

Original post by Maro122
Hi may I ask what inspired you to study international relations?

Sure thing :biggrin: I do not mind at all! :cube:

I wanted to do something meaningful and would love to have a job that helps people. I decided that getting into politics is a good way to help people. However, my scope was global rather than local. The more I studied politics, the more I realised local affairs are of no interest to me and that I would much rather keep up to date with the refugee crisis and reports about ISIS than discuss the PM and the ruling party. In addition, I have always hated war, supported human rights in general, and have been much more oriented towards cooperation, negotiation, and compromise. Also, I found myself to be fascinated by the domains of political/military strategy and security. I decided that International Relations is for me. Then, I read books about international relations and got so excited just reading them that I knew that is what I want to do with my life. I have a dream job in mind too. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending