The Student Room Group

Uncertainty over English Lit marking for GCSE

Hi
On GCSE Results Day I got 7A*s, 1A and 1B. The A was in English Lit, a subject which I had constantly been getting 8s or 9s in for all the essays that I had done prior to the exam, and coming out of the exam I felt quite happy about it. Whilst I'm pleased with my grade, I've been hearing a lot of stories about entire pages or long paragraphs of essay being missed out by examiners, especially in English Lit. I asked my teacher for the manuscript from the exam, but apparently it's too late to get it now. Is there any possible way of getting it whatsoever (my exam board is AQA). It's just all the stories of people's marks going up by 10-20 marks or whatever is really bugging me.
Reply 1
I just wish that I had got the manuscript earlier.
Thing is though, you’re too late. You’ve either not performed to your ideal standard or the marking was ineffective. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do about the latter as the deadline to send requests for remarking was back in September. Should have sorted all of this out before, NOT 2 months after results day.
Not happy with getting a A?
Reply 4
Original post by rome x mary
Thing is though, you’re too late. You’ve either not performed to your ideal standard or the marking was ineffective. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do about the latter as the deadline to send requests for remarking was back in September. Should have sorted all of this out before, NOT 2 months after results day.

Okay, thanks for the reply. The reason why I didn't immediately ask for the manuscript was because I hadn't realised just how off the marking had been this year, particularly in English, until I saw a few of the threads on this website. Damn. Oh well, I'm still thrilled with my results and doubt the grade will make a difference.
Original post by cricinfo
Okay, thanks for the reply. The reason why I didn't immediately ask for the manuscript was because I hadn't realised just how off the marking had been this year, particularly in English, until I saw a few of the threads on this website. Damn. Oh well, I'm still thrilled with my results and doubt the grade will make a difference.

Fair enough. You did well though, no point kicking yourself over something you can’t change. You can make up for your regrets in A Level anyway, that’s what I’m doing.
Reply 6
Fair enough. You did well though, no point kicking yourself over something you can’t change. You can make up for your regrets in A Level anyway, that’s what I’m doing.

That's a good attitude. What did you get at GCSE, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 7
Original post by DeclanGCSEs
Not happy with getting a A?

I'm not unhappy with it, it's just I kind of expected more.
Well done! I got a D in Eng Lit :frown:
Reply 9
Well done! I got a D in Eng Lit :frown:

Oh well, it doesn't matter - I wish you luck in whatever course you are doing at the moment and thanks for replying.
Year 11 😂
That's a good attitude. What did you get at GCSE, if you don't mind me asking?

Very similar to yours: 7A*s 3As
Reply 12
Very similar to yours: 7A*s 3As

Ah - well done! I think people sometimes take it the wrong way when we talk about regrets with the results we have, but I think most people have at least one result they aren't happy with. I really want to get into Oxbridge to do Law so I know that I need amazing grades.
Reply 13
Year 11 😂

Oh right 😂😂! Good luck with Year 11 then lol.
Ah - well done! I think people sometimes take it the wrong way when we talk about regrets with the results we have, but I think most people have at least one result they aren't happy with. I really want to get into Oxbridge to do Law so I know that I need amazing grades.

Yes, I get you. It’s frustrating because it seems like I can’t share my regrets and worries because they’ll just dismiss it. I also want to do Law at Oxbridge! Not sure which one though, leaning towards Cambridge. The three As were the sciences for me and, thankfully, I’ve dropped those for A Level and don’t need the for Uni which is good but still, they’ve tainted my results a bit. You’ll do well, regardless of what Uni you go to!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending