The Student Room Group

Leaving uni but stuck in a student accommodation agreement

So I've recently left my uni at Strathclyde and I'm stuck in a agreement to pay 3.5k in January for my apartment at Nido st James. I left uni last week and I don't know if I'll be able to pay it by then as my student loans is going to be stopped too. My parents can't afford it and this will go into major debt. Is there anyway possible that I can get them to let me out of the contract as I have already paid 3.5k for the apartment up until January. I'm scared on what to do here. Please help!
Original post by TJMkat
So I've recently left my uni at Strathclyde and I'm stuck in a agreement to pay 3.5k in January for my apartment at Nido st James. I left uni last week and I don't know if I'll be able to pay it by then as my student loans is going to be stopped too. My parents can't afford it and this will go into major debt. Is there anyway possible that I can get them to let me out of the contract as I have already paid 3.5k for the apartment up until January. I'm scared on what to do here. Please help!

If you've already paid the only way I can see you recouping your money is by finding someone to take your place and getting the money from them. The person you paid the rent to has no incentive to give you any money back without someone to replace you. Put ads on the internet and anywhere else you can think of, ask around at the uni.
Is it possible to find someone who can take over your contract? Advertise on Facebook, WhatsApp, your Union, through word of mouth...

They can take the contract outright or you can sell it them at a reduced rate, which lessens the amount you need to pay.
Reply 3
Original post by Sabertooth
If you've already paid the only way I can see you recouping your money is by finding someone to take your place and getting the money from them. The person you paid the rent to has no incentive to give you any money back without someone to replace you. Put ads on the internet and anywhere else you can think of, ask around at the uni.

I don't mind about getting my first payment back it's just leaving the agreement so I don't need to pay the 2nd half.

Quick Reply

Latest