The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream- Early Diversity Internship 2018

Hey,

Has anyone else completed the online tests for this EDIP yet? I did mine the other day but I can never tell how well I did on those sorts of things.

Anyone heard back yet?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rleah1998
Hey,

Has anyone else completed the online tests for this EDIP yet? I did mine the other day but I can never tell how well I did on those sorts of things.

Anyone heard back yet?

Did my tests a week ago, haven't heard back yet.
Reply 2
I did mine 5 days ago, it says the pass marks would be figured out at the end of October so I check my emails about 60 times a day lol
Reply 3
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
FFS, why does the public sector have "diversity" internships?

They need to encourage people other than middle class white men to apply for jobs in the government/civil service in order to have a more representative workforce and to encourage more people in minority groups to apply in the future - then maybe they won't need an internship
Reply 4
Their requirements are one of the following:

- Be non-white
- Be poor
- Be disabled

Firstly, nowhere does it discriminate against men. The people it excludes are (exactly) the able-bodied white middle class.

I was under the impression that discrimination based on race was illegal.

Civil Service could be used as a stepping stone for those who want to go into poltics or diplomacy. Here is the demogrpahic of the Houses of Parliament:

Taken directly from -http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/research/key-issues-for-the-new-parliament/the-new-parliament/characteristics-of-the-new-house-of-commons/-

"Women MPs make up 22% of the House. That proportion is higher than of judges or directors of FTSE 100 companies, but lower than of senior civil servants...
The number of ethnic minority MPs has increased by nearly three-quarters to 26, or 4% of the total number of MPs. The first three Muslim female MPs have been elected, all of them Labour candidates"

Hence "middle class white men"
Reply 5
Their requirements are one of the following:

- Be non-white
- Be poor
- Be disabled

Firstly, nowhere does it discriminate against men. The people it excludes are (exactly) the able-bodied white middle class.

I was under the impression that discrimination based on race was illegal.

more taken from the parliament website

1.2 a.jpg
Reply 6
How deplorable!

But again, this internship isn't discriminating against men. Whether or not you think they should is irrelevant.

These kinds of diversity programs lead to ridiculous situations like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwMzZtU5H7I

I don't 'think' they should, I'm just stating facts. Take a look at this https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/blog/civil-service-fast-stream-six-charts

Men and women are equal in the workplace at the civil service but for jobs in STEM this isn't the case.

however, back to civil service, I still think it's a good thing that they're increasing opportunity for under-represented groups
-

You heard back yet?
Reply 8
Original post by DarkEnergy
You heard back yet?

Gonna check my emails now 😶 have you? Deadline is Nov 9th so I'm thinking maybe we'll hear back then
Reply 9
You heard back yet?

Just checked and I haven't heard back yet
Gonna check my emails now 😶 have you? Deadline is Nov 9th so I'm thinking maybe we'll hear back then

Oh right, yeah I haven't heard back either
Reply 11
Oh right, yeah I haven't heard back either

Just called them up and the message says pass marks will be sent at the end of november
just heard back! passed the online tests and now have to answer more questions :h:
Anyone else heard back yet?
Nope
Still waiting...
Original post by olamide1
Still waiting...

Same :frown: Not feeling particularly confident anymore though, since madxw heard back like a week ago!
Reply 17
Is the application still open?
Original post by TheMathsTeacher
Same :frown: Not feeling particularly confident anymore though, since madxw heard back like a week ago!

I sent mine off right before the deadline (9th Nov), and I doubt I was the only one - don't think they said it was on a rolling basis? Due to this I thought we'd all hear back sometime around the last week of November to give them time to process everything. Also, it's odd that they'd never get back to any of us at all. I assumed, being the Civil Service, and this being an Early Diversity internship, that we'd at least be informed if we didn't get it.

Either way, you can still apply for the SDIP next year! I definitely will be, after I've had time to actually practice the situational judgement tests :smile:
Original post by Ness'B
Is the application still open?

It closed on the 9th.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending