The Student Room Group

Biology Masters without a Biology Undergraduate?

I want to do a masters degree in biology. Is it possible to do this, or would I need a biology degree?
(edited 6 years ago)
Look at courses and see what their requirements are. Some will want a more biology-related degree but I imagine some will accept other science degrees.
Check entry requirements online. If they're not specific enough contact the PG admissions people and ask. My first thought was that you'd need something a bit more biology-related but I may well be wrong. Are you doing any astrobiology modules? What are you hoping to do after uni?
Reply 3
Original post by Duncan2012
Check entry requirements online. If they're not specific enough contact the PG admissions people and ask. My first thought was that you'd need something a bit more biology-related but I may well be wrong. Are you doing any astrobiology modules? What are you hoping to do after uni?

I'm doing lots of astrobiology as a part of my degree (20% of my whole degree) and I want to go into astrobiology in research. I feel like a masters in biology will be far more beneficial to this.

I'll have a look at some requirements, thanks :smile:
Original post by Rigel
I'm doing lots of astrobiology as a part of my degree (20% of my whole degree) and I want to go into astrobiology in research. I feel like a masters in biology will be far more beneficial to this.

I'll have a look at some requirements, thanks :smile:

In that case it may be that you don't need to do a 'pure' biology masters. It might be worth approaching the research unis/organisations you hope to work at, explaining your background and seeing what they suggest. Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by Duncan2012
In that case it may be that you don't need to do a 'pure' biology masters. It might be worth approaching the research unis/organisations you hope to work at, explaining your background and seeing what they suggest. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending