The Student Room Group

Is positive discrimination a good thing?

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

interesting :wink: did he do this as a social experiment or more because his GPA was so terrible?
I understand your point on my thread and I'm happy to debate with you- in my opinion, there is an unfortunate lack of women, social and racial minorities and disabled people working in STEM,diplomacy and upper management at the moment and until the workforce is more balanced and these minorities have been reassured enough to apply for these positions without the need of positive discrimination, then I think it is an unnecessary evil. But hopefully not necessary in the future. Hope that helped to clear up my point of view
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
Just came across this story, I wonder what TSR thinks of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwMzZtU5H7I

Starts around 30s

No - all discrimination is bad
Reply 4
"Positive" discrimination is terrible.
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
You're going through my post history?

He did it because he believed that his GPA was so terrible that he didn't stand a chance otherwise.

came up on the 'latest discussions' tab my friend
We should leave in the past selecting people because of their race. The best people for the job/college deserve it and equal opportunity won't always produce the exact proportion of ethnicities as in the population. It doesn't feel good to know the main reason you were accepted is something you don't control.
Original post by Jack22031994
No - all discrimination is bad

Think before you post. Discrimination is simply recognising that two things are different. When you decide that it is safe to cross the road you have discriminated between times when it is safe and times when it is unsafe. When you decide not to put your hands into a flame you have discriminated between a safe situation and an unsafe one. When you decide not to kill your sister because she has upset you you have discriminated between morality and immorality, legality and illegality., When you put petrol into your car you have discriminated between (safe and useful) petrol and (damaging) diesel.

Only certain kinds of discrimination, in certain circumstances, are illegal and immoral. Don't use 'discrimination' when you mean 'illegal discrimination'
Original post by Good bloke
Think before you post. Discrimination is simply recognising that two things are different. When you decide that it is safe to cross the road you have discriminated between times when it is safe and times when it is unsafe. When you decide not to put your hands into a flame you have discriminated between a safe situation and an unsafe one. When you decide not to kill your sister because she has upset you you have discriminated between morality and immorality, legality and illegality., When you put petrol into your car you have discriminated between (safe and useful) petrol and (damaging) diesel.

Only certain kinds of discrimination, in certain circumstances, are illegal and immoral. Don't use 'discrimination' when you mean 'illegal discrimination'

For the point of this thread it is bad. Dont be pedantic
Original post by Jack22031994
Dont be pedantic

No it isn't. The OP used the phrase 'positive discrimination', knowing that 'discrimination' on its own meant nothing useful. In any event, if you say one thing and mean another you are not communicating clearly. Pointing this out is not pedantry.
(edited 6 years ago)
It's simple. People should be based on merit of character and intelligence alone - not for their ethnicity, gender, or socioeconomic status. Positive discrimination is a mess, and just as bad as regular discrimination.
No it isn't. The OP used the phrase 'positive discrimination', knowing that 'discrimination' on its own meant nothing useful. In any event, if you say one thing and mean another you are not communicating clearly. Pointing this out is not pedantry.

Everyone knows that the OP means. like quotas, and things. Not what you put in your car. Christ

:yawn:

by using language carefully you are discriminating against sloppy users.
Original post by rleah1998
I understand your point on my thread and I'm happy to debate with you- in my opinion, there is an unfortunate lack of women, social and racial minorities and disabled people working in STEM,diplomacy and upper management at the moment and until the workforce is more balanced and these minorities have been reassured enough to apply for these positions without the need of positive discrimination, then I think it is an unnecessary evil. But hopefully not necessary in the future. Hope that helped to clear up my point of view

You value minorities making different choices, so that they instead make the choices you want them to make, over actual discrimination against people?
Original post by the bear
by using language carefully you are discriminating against sloppy users.

hehe. We see 'discrimination' used in that way so often, but rarely can someone have written something so ridiculously wrong-headed as 'all discrimination is bad'.
these minorities have been reassured enough to apply for these positions without the need of positive discrimination, then I think it is an unnecessary evil.

unnecessary evil?

Do you think there is a lack of women in low paid and dangerous jobs at the bottom of the social ladder? Should we start positive discrimination there too?
hehe. We see 'discrimination' used in that way so often, but rarely can someone have written something so ridiculously wrong-headed as 'all discrimination is bad'.

smh

:shakecane:
My position is: There is no positive or negative discrimination, there is only discrimination.

What people are used to calling "positive discrimination" is just another form of discrimination. Just give the position or place to whomever qualified to take it, male, female, white, black, doesn't matter, so simple. The one who's serious and putting the efforts gets the position or place.
(edited 6 years ago)
All discrimination has negative implications for at least one party. In this case we're discriminating against perfectly competent applicants to give the impression of equality while achieving the exact opposite.

Why does the workforce need to be balanced? Surely given a fair applications process, there will naturally be more dominant groups. "Perfect" representation, in fact, would be indicative of the converse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending