The Student Room Group

Is this selfish of me? Getting fed up of friend (s) acting like I’m rich.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by It's****ingWOODY
I totally get where you're coming from in terms of people around you trying to leech off you, because you can afford what they want more than they can afford it themselves and that makes them somehow entitled to at least borrow money from you for it, and seemingly put you at the bottom of the priority list in their finances when it comes to paying you back. I'm in the exact same boat. Problem is, you're letting them walk all over you. The people in my life wouldn't ask me outright to buy them something like a train ticket or a pizza cause they know if just laugh in their face, and these are members of my immediate family were talking about here, and I've refused to let most borrow any more money off me cause they always break agreements we've made on terms of payback. Just gotta learn to say no when you feel like people are taking the piss.

I don’t get you ( I’m OP coming off anon)? Are you saying you understand them or me? And btw I make £150 not guaranteed there working ( apart from the guy who asked for a Pizza ) and the guy with the train tickets is renting TWO flats and he paid for the train fare home. I’m not earning more than them at all.
Original post by ANM775
your friends are leeches and taking advantage of you, £150 a week is not rich.

tbh, you should not have even paid them anything as they already have jobs.

you should have cancelled the ticket on the spot too and took back, after the friend had the cheek to demand a faster train ticket.

your friends are to blame, but i think you're a little to blame too OP, you are letting people walk over you!

You’re 100% right, thank you c
Original post by Afraprawn
There taking advantage of you they aren't worth it. Why can't they buy their own stuff to go a party that's just so wrong

Original post by Anonymous
Make new friends . The friends you have (no offence ) are not friends . Make friends which don’t know about how much money you have and treat you nicely because it’s you and not because of your money

Thanks x

Original post by Herst0
yeah thats not on. dont let a friendship become based on money, just say no.

Thanks x

Original post by Dazza happy
Seems like you’re friends are just really rude! Not selfish of you at all...Do they even care about your own needs?

Apparently I’m rich now 🤷🏽*♀️ so it doesn’t matter because I won’t miss it
Original post by Sammylou40
They’re taking advantage of you
Say no to everyone

^ 👏
Tell your “friends” to f**k off and treat yourself to something nice with your hard earned cash. You don’t need friends like this
Reply 25
Just be direct with them and say no. I know it's easier said than done and you probably want to spare their feelings but it's not your responsibility to pay for their travel/food/etc.
If you saying no bothers them, they're not your friends.
Original post by klw18
Just be direct with them and say no. I know it's easier said than done and you probably want to spare their feelings but it's not your responsibility to pay for their travel/food/etc.
If you saying no bothers them, they're not your friends.

Original post by del1rious
Tell your “friends” to f**k off and treat yourself to something nice with your hard earned cash. You don’t need friends like this

Thanks.
They know that you get a fair amount of money easily, and want it for themselves.
I'd use it very carefully around them if I were you.
Maybe next time, if you go somewhere with them, don't take any money and say they have to fork out their own cash and pay for themselves instead of them getting you to pay for everything.
Try to save, as in the future you may find a nice house or car that you want to buy and have more freedom

My friend knows about this and he also has a friend who has been doing the same thing for a while but she works on top. They both work. He recently asked me to buy him a ticket for London as he’s meeting his sister and friends for a barbecue. I paid for London Midland as it’s cheaper. He got pissed and said London Midland takes too long and he’ll miss the party and wasn’t going to a barbecue after all. I got mad as I’m paying. But I just asked for a refund and booked virgin trains instead. I booked the return on the same day by mistake he told me this and said he had to pay for a ticket home himself.

Woah what? Who on earth asks their friends to buy them stuff? And then who actually does it? And then complaining about it... and responding to that complaint positively? Every step of this is crazy.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Woah what? Who on earth asks their friends to buy them stuff? And then who actually does it? And then complaining about it... and responding to that complaint positively? Every step of this is crazy.

True...
Original post by elmosandy
I don’t get you ( I’m OP coming off anon)? Are you saying you understand them or me? And btw I make £150 not guaranteed there working ( apart from the guy who asked for a Pizza ) and the guy with the train tickets is renting TWO flats and he paid for the train fare home. I’m not earning more than them at all.

I'm saying, I get you and I know first hand how annoying it is when people try and leech off of you, but you've got to put your foot down because they're taking the piss. Re-read my post with this is mind and you may understand it better :smile:
I'm saying, I get you and I know first hand how annoying it is when people try and leech off of you, but you've got to put your foot down because they're taking the piss. Re-read my post with this is mind and you may understand it better :smile:

Thankyou
Original post by elmosandy
Thankyou

That guy isn't your friend. He's manipulating you so he can get free stuff.

This isn't normal lol.

You should block all contact with him and just delete him from your life. He sounds like a 'dangerous' person for you since he's manipulated you to the point where you made this thread wondering if you were selfish or not. He's clearly gotten into your head. Normal people don't ask friends for money to go to parties.

I feel bad for you I've had people do stuff like that to me as well. I reckon you're too trusting because of the asperges. I've always had that problem and got manipulated by people I trusted. Don't trust anyone that always asks you for favours.
(edited 6 years ago)
Cut your relations with them now. They are sponging off you.
Original post by ChickenMadness
That guy isn't your friend. He's manipulating you so he can get free stuff.

This isn't normal lol.

You should block all contact with him and just delete him from your life. He sounds like a 'dangerous' person for you since he's manipulated you to the point where you made this thread wondering if you were selfish or not. He's clearly gotten into your head. Normal people don't ask friends for money to go to parties.

I feel bad for you I've had people do stuff like that to me as well. I reckon you're too trusting because of the asperges. I've always had that problem and got manipulated by people I trusted. Don't trust anyone that always asks you for favours.

Ah I don't have aspergers. I'm on the autistic spectrum 0-10 but don't have enough traits to be considered autistic. There's also High FUnctioning Autism and PPD-NOS whcih is more mild than asperers. But still, even though I don't have enough traits i'm more or less like an autistic person. But thankyou anyway, I realise now.
sorry but you're kind of an idiot to have bought him the things he wanted in the first place, especially after he threw a tantrum about the train tickets

you're his friend, not his husband. you don't need to buy him sh!t
Original post by yungaheartz
sorry but you're kind of an idiot to have bought him the things he wanted in the first place, especially after he threw a tantrum about the train tickets

you're his friend, not his husband. you don't need to buy him sh!t

Yeah I completey 100% agree with you.

At the time, I thought he’s a friend but now I’m thinking nah and he said he bought his train ticket home so he could have paid he just wanted me to pay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending