(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 404

Awesome stuff! :smile:

How are you doing this afternoon? :smile:

Reply 407
Original post by spotify95
Awesome stuff! :smile:

How are you doing this afternoon? :smile:

Pretty good! I finished what I was supposed to do today yesterday so :biggrin: wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by markovchain17
Pretty good! I finished what I was supposed to do today yesterday so :biggrin: wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome stuff! :smile: Have you managed to get anywhere regarding the PT song yet, or are you still awaiting a new PC?

I'm doing good, thanks! Been quite busy over the last few days, surprisingly managed to sell quite a few batteries recently so that is good! :smile:

Now using a campus computer (I work at the university now) and using some decent headphone to listen to some music via either Tunein or Youtube :yep:
I have to do any large uploads on the university connections due to the crap upload speed at home - Virgin Media really don't help themselves do they, by offering just 5Mbps upload on a "70Mbps" connection? The upload even gets throttled if you use it - which, my latest video (in conjunction with @Kyx) being 3.35GB in size, would easily have hit the threshold...

Awesome stuff! :smile: Have you managed to get anywhere regarding the PT song yet, or are you still awaiting a new PC?

I'm doing good, thanks! Been quite busy over the last few days, surprisingly managed to sell quite a few batteries recently so that is good! :smile:

Now using a campus computer (I work at the university now) and using some decent headphone to listen to some music via either Tunein or Youtube :yep:
I have to do any large uploads on the university connections due to the crap upload speed at home - Virgin Media really don't help themselves do they, by offering just 5Mbps upload on a "70Mbps" connection? The upload even gets throttled if you use it - which, my latest video (in conjunction with @Kyx) being 3.35GB in size, would easily have hit the threshold...

Still no laptop, I don't know when I'll be getting a new one yet :redface:

I'm on Virgin Media as well and haven't had issues with upload speed. I upload from mobile mostly or my brothers laptop and it doesn't take long but I could see why it would with a 3GB file :laugh: have u tried compressing it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 411
Still no laptop, I don't know when I'll be getting a new one yet :redface:

I'm on Virgin Media as well and haven't had issues with upload speed. I upload from mobile mostly or my brothers laptop and it doesn't take long but I could see why it would with a 3GB file :laugh: have u tried compressing it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Take a look at the Black Friday sales coming up, hopefully you'll be able to get a decent computer at a good price. I got my current HP laptop from Currys/PC World two years ago on Black Friday :smile:

I personally wouldn't go with Virgin anything if I had a choice. Their broadband is quite poor; they give me "up to 70Mbps" currently yet on most days it's 40Mbps tops. Not 70Mbps...
And their upload service is terrible. With BT/Sky you get 20Mbps upload with the 76Mbps download package. With Virgin's "70Mbps" package, the upload is 5Mbps... just 1/4 of BT/Sky's speed! Plus, there are thresholds that, if you hit then, the speed reduces quite dramatically. The lower threshold (1.2GB) reduces the speed to 2.5Mbps, and the higher threshold (1.5GB) reduces the speed to 2Mbps.
Personally, I wouldn't accept that, 3G performs as well (or better) than that - and 4G would blow Virgin out of the water.

Oh yeah, and don't even get me started on the Virgin Mobile tariff I was on, the fact that Virgin charge extra for Caller ID for landline, and their forum admin James_W....

Take a look at the Black Friday sales coming up, hopefully you'll be able to get a decent computer at a good price. I got my current HP laptop from Currys/PC World two years ago on Black Friday :smile:

I personally wouldn't go with Virgin anything if I had a choice. Their broadband is quite poor; they give me "up to 70Mbps" currently yet on most days it's 40Mbps tops. Not 70Mbps...
And their upload service is terrible. With BT/Sky you get 20Mbps upload with the 76Mbps download package. With Virgin's "70Mbps" package, the upload is 5Mbps... just 1/4 of BT/Sky's speed! Plus, there are thresholds that, if you hit then, the speed reduces quite dramatically. The lower threshold (1.2GB) reduces the speed to 2.5Mbps, and the higher threshold (1.5GB) reduces the speed to 2Mbps.
Personally, I wouldn't accept that, 3G performs as well (or better) than that - and 4G would blow Virgin out of the water.

Oh yeah, and don't even get me started on the Virgin Mobile tariff I was on, the fact that Virgin charge extra for Caller ID for landline, and their forum admin James_W....

Virgin mobile has been messing up my contract a lot recently that I'm thinking of switching. First I'm told I have 600mb data a month (+300 promotional) and then I get texts saying I've used it all up after 400mb. This has happened twice the past two months now and when I was on holiday I used up all my data and credit so I phoned them to restore it and pay over the phone which was £31 and then immediately the next day I get a text saying all my credit and data has gone AGAIN! and they wouldn't refund me the £31 :angry: idk it seems to be okay now that I've got a new better contract.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Virgin mobile has been messing up my contract a lot recently that I'm thinking of switching. First I'm told I have 600mb data a month (+300 promotional) and then I get texts saying I've used it all up after 400mb. This has happened twice the past two months now and when I was on holiday I used up all my data and credit so I phoned them to restore it and pay over the phone which was £31 and then immediately the next day I get a text saying all my credit and data has gone AGAIN! and they wouldn't refund me the £31 :angry: idk it seems to be okay now that I've got a new better contract.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds like far too much trouble. Just get your PAC Code (so you can keep your number) and move to another network.
If you want fast data speeds/high allowances, go for EE or 3 - EE is more expensive but their data is faster and they also have much more 4G coverage (and slightly more overall coverage). I'm with EE and I am happy with them (only regret is that I didn't switch to EE sooner).
Otherwise, go with Giffgaff - they have flexible allowances that you can change every month, and their speeds have got better in the last couple of months. If O2 coverage is better than EE in your area, go with Giffgaff (runs on O2).

I used to be on Virgin Mobile during their "Unlimitacular" event - £15 for an "unlimited" SIM seemed OK, but it wasn't unlimited, it was 3.5GB - after which, they would cap you to 384kbit/s until the end of the calendar month. With a refresh date on the 5th of the month, I could end up with a whole month of unusable data. This hidden limit was also very sneaky - only if you dug deep in the T&Cs would you find this. There was a user on the VM Community who posted about their problem and only after I told them about the FUP (when I was still a VM Community Member) did they realize that their very slow speeds were due to using too much data.

Thread I helped in: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Poor-phone-signal/m-p/2553343

Other examples:
1) http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Why-am-I-throttled-24-7/m-p/1785130/highlight/true#M25410
2) http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Unlimited-Data-FUP/m-p/1783124

One word. AVOID.

(edited 6 years ago)
Sounds like far too much trouble. Just get your PAC Code (so you can keep your number) and move to another network.
If you want fast data speeds/high allowances, go for EE or 3 - EE is more expensive but their data is faster and they also have much more 4G coverage (and slightly more overall coverage). I'm with EE and I am happy with them (only regret is that I didn't switch to EE sooner).
Otherwise, go with Giffgaff - they have flexible allowances that you can change every month, and their speeds have got better in the last couple of months. If O2 coverage is better than EE in your area, go with Giffgaff (runs on O2).

I used to be on Virgin Mobile during their "Unlimitacular" event - £15 for an "unlimited" SIM seemed OK, but it wasn't unlimited, it was 3.5GB - after which, they would cap you to 384kbit/s until the end of the calendar month. With a refresh date on the 5th of the month, I could end up with a whole month of unusable data. This hidden limit was also very sneaky - only if you dug deep in the T&Cs would you find this. There was a user on the VM Community who posted about their problem and only after I told them about the FUP (when I was still a VM Community Member) did they realize that their very slow speeds were due to using too much data.

Thread I helped in: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Poor-phone-signal/m-p/2553343

Other examples:
1) http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Why-am-I-throttled-24-7/m-p/1785130/highlight/true#M25410
2) http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Unlimited-Data-FUP/m-p/1783124

One word. AVOID.

Yeah my brothers on EE he told to me switch to it. I didn't set up my contract my mum did when she bought me a phone for my birthday a few years ago :tongue: so I never really got to look into it. I don't even need unlimited data, I think 1.5-2.5GB would be fine for me since I don't use it a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if someone didn't know why their speed was throttled, 99% of people do not bother reading terms and conditions :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 418

Latest