The Student Room Group

Is this pay too little?

I have been offered a job at a tuition centre which pays £6 an hour for the first month, followed by £7 after. Is this a decent hourly wage?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Should I accept this job or stick to tutoring privately?
I would say no. £6 an hour for a private tutor is crazy! Experienced tutors get paid £30 an hour.
People working in supermarkets, cafes and restaurants get paid more!
Reply 3
Original post by student7659
I have been offered a job at a tuition centre which pays £6 an hour for the first month, followed by £7 after. Is this a decent hourly wage?

What age are you?

https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
Reply 4
Depending on your experience level, age and the work involved, it may be an okay wage, what do YOU think of the pay? is it enough for you to be satisfied? at the end of the day you will be the one working and earning that money
Reply 5
Original post by OwlOfFire
I would say no. £6 an hour for a private tutor is crazy! Experienced tutors get paid £30 an hour.
People working in supermarkets, cafes and restaurants get paid more!

It's £6 an hour to work at a centre and tutor groups, mark work and possibly make worksheets only for the first month. After that it's £7/hr. How much do sales assistants make approximately?
Reply 6
Reply 7
Original post by Avaia
Depending on your experience level, age and the work involved, it may be an okay wage, what do YOU think of the pay? is it enough for you to be satisfied? at the end of the day you will be the one working and earning that money

The above poster has it. It's up to you really.
Reply 8
Original post by Avaia

This would be my first paid job (after lots of experience volunteering) so I'm not sure what to expect. I was okay with it at first but my parents seem to think I should be paid more.
Reply 9

I know a tutor who charges anywhere between £20 and £50 per hour and has plenty of customers

they're taking advantage of you sonny

maybe just work there a couple of months so the experience will look good on your CV so it will enable you to get private customers ...and then quit the job at the tuition centre
Reply 10
This would be my first paid job (after lots of experience volunteering) so I'm not sure what to expect. I was okay with it at first but my parents seem to think I should be paid more.

As a first job and you are an unskilled worker (meaning no uni education), £7 an hour is decent
Original post by ANM775
I know a tutor who charges anywhere between £20 and £50 per hour and has plenty of customers

they're taking advantage of you sonny

maybe just work there a couple of months so the experience will look good on your CV so it will enable you to get private customers ...and then quit the job at the tuition centre

I'll consider that. Thanks :smile:
Original post by Avaia
As a first job and you are an unskilled worker (meaning no uni education), £7 an hour is decent

Ah that's what I thought, do you know how this compares to cafe/shop assistant workers?
(edited 6 years ago)
I know someone who is 16 at a cafe and is paid £4.50 an hour; alternately another 16 year old is paid £10 an hour at M&S
Honestly I think that’s a decent wage to start out as–sure, you’re getting pretty much minimum wage but (as said above) it will look good on the CV

Ah that's what I thought, do you know how does this compares to cafe/shop assistant workers?
Original post by Pastelx
I know someone who is 16 at a cafe and is paid £4.50 an hour; alternately another 16 year old is paid £10 an hour at M&S
Honestly I think that’s a decent wage to start out as–sure, you’re getting pretty much minimum wage but (as said above) it will look good on the CV

Oh I see, yeah that's true. Although, in the past I have volunteered at a different tuition centre for a long period of time so I'm not sure this job would add much to it.
Reply 15
Original post by ANM775

I imagine that's in-person tutoring. In which case it's quite different.
Reply 16
I would say go for it if you have no experience. Stick it out and in a few months you can tutor kids for £10-£15 an hour, maybe even £20. When you have experience and if you can get positive feedback you’ll find it A LOT easier to get students/parents wanting you to tutor them/their kids.

If you’re currently tutoring privately, stick with that. But most people will struggle to find people when they start out, if you’ve got someone focus on getting them the best grade so you can get positive feedback and then hopefully more opportunities
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Doonesbury
I imagine that's in-person tutoring. In which case it's quite different.

They started off working in a similar place to the OP or a university and were on £8 an hour and were content with that ...until they discovered other teachers there getting £20+ an hour

not long after that they moved to somewhere else and also started private 1 to 1 tutoring and got paid much better........
It's £6 an hour to work at a centre and tutor groups, mark work and possibly make worksheets only for the first month. After that it's £7/hr. How much do sales assistants make approximately?

Well it depends really some people make £5 an hour up to £10 an hour working in sales. However I would say working as a tutor is probably more enjoyable than working as a sales assistant. In terms of money I would be cautious baring in mind private tutors usually make more. I think if you were to do it independently you could perhaps charge £10 an hour with your level of qualifications. Obviously the tutors who make £20-£35 an hour are fully qualified with a degree and years of teaching experience. So at 18 years old £6 an hour is good and if it goes up to £7 and you enjoy it then I would go for it. I know some people work in a supermarket for £8 hour, but hate it.
Reply 19
Ah that's what I thought, do you know how this compares to cafe/shop assistant workers?

that's a better wage than the average sales job, but also in sales you deal with HORRIBLE people each day and isnt enjoyable

Quick Reply